Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am a student at the Eindhoven University of Technology and currently, I am doing my master thesis regarding the feasibility of solar roofs on Electric Vehicles.

See below an impression of how this would look like on a Model 3:

Solar-Roof-Cropped.jpg

As I would like to gather some input from EV enthusiasts, I would like to ask you if you are willing to take part in the following survey:

Solar Roofs on Electric Vehicles: Survey about Electric Car experience
Looking forward to hearing your opinions, and thanks in advance for filling in the survey!

Kind Regards,
Ruud Neutelings
Graduate Student at TU/e

I personally love the idea of a solar roof when we can have a clear solar panels so I can still see through the window because I need either a sun roof or a see through roof. Most people on this site how ever will tell you it's a bad idea because the panel doesn't charge the car enough to make it worth it.

I personally love the idea of a solar roof when we can have a clear solar panels so I can still see through the window because I need either a sun roof or a see through roof. Most people on this site how ever will tell you it's a bad idea because the panel doesn't charge the car enough to make it worth it.

Exactly that.

The amount of sq footage available wouldn't produce a useful amount of power compared to the added cost and complexity.

Reactions: hexxys
I sprung for the solar roof option when I bought my 2010 Prius. It's great. Except it doesn't charge the battery. It powers ventilation fans that pull ambient air through the car. This really keeps the temperatures down in the summertime, and probably extends the longevity of the interior. But it doesn't make the car drive any further.

I remember the Mazda 929 had a small solar panel in the roof that ran the ventilation to keep temperatures down. That was it. Ultimately, the real issue is that the panel won't generate enough electricity to make much of an impact on energy consumption. But it doesn't hurt, either. Wonder when we'll get solar paint...

I still like the idea though to help offset vampire drain but..... It's not ready for prime-time. Maybe one day when we can make all the windows transparent solar panels and the car body opaque solar panels. Even with that though the cost is probably not worth it. until it is.

Yeah, if you do the math (which I did some time ago, and assuming a much larger area than OP depicted) it still works out to the trickliest of trickle charges. You'll hear folks posit that the car could run forever without stopping to charge, but it just plain isn't true. Would it contribute power? Of course it would. But I think the only valid use cases might be things like driving to your remote cabin for a week where there's no electricity. While the car sits there and you go on hikes, it could gradually squoosh in a few electrons for your return trip. Better hope for good weather!

In order for the solar panel to generate enough electricity to recharge the traction battery by any useful amount, it basically requires you to leave your car out in the open all day long. If you normally have to park outside anyway, then this may not matter. However, if you normally park in a garage at home and at work, then you'd have to change your behavior. This means your car will get hotter and you have to expend additional energy to cool off your car that's been baking in the sun all day. As such, not sure how much net energy gain you'd get from that panel.