TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Solar Roof Option

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by theganjaguru, Apr 11, 2016.

?

Would you select a solar roof if it were an option?

1. Yes, I'd like the option

33.6%
  2. No, it's an expensive gimmick.

66.4%
  1. theganjaguru

• Funny x 3
  2. TerribleOne923

Not even practical.

3. Incredulocious

Incredulocious '11 LEAF –> '13 RAV4 EV

A friend just spotted this in Sunnyvale (CA) last week – here's how it's done:

IMG_1743.jpg

• Funny x 38
    • Like x 6
    • Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  4. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

Presumably, vampire drain is only an issue where you can't plug in and will be gone a while, so mainly on trips. Airports and hotels frequently do have a place to plug in. So what's left, camping? Visiting people who only have street parking for you? Seems like it would never save you more than you would have to pay to add the solar panels. For the few who would benefit, I can't see Tesla putting in the effort to do it.

P.S. If you can swing it, putting solar panels on your house and charging from the electricity generated is a better idea.

5. SebastianR

SebastianR Member

To me that just doesn't make sense: it makes the car more complex, the glas more expensive, I don't want to think about the cost of repairs, you need to curve / shape the panels and most of the time the car will not be placed in perfect conditions for them to charge. I think for the same amount of money you get vastly superiorly positioned panels on your car port / house etc. that should do more/better.

But it's just expensive and won't harm anything? Well, I would say, solar panels on the roof encourage people to purposefully expose their cars to scorching heat ("I won't park it in the shade to make sure them panel generate some [email protected]!!") which is not particularly good for the battery / requires energy to cool the battery. So while it is a nice idea, I don't think it is practical at all.

6. theganjaguru

Toyota thinks it is.

• Funny x 1
  7. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

When I discuss electric cars with people, they often ask me about this idea - solar panels on the car - what I tell them is that the juice you could collect using such a panel is so minuscule in comparison to how much power a car needs to drive, that it is not worth it; unless all you want to do is run a little fan to keep the inside cooler in the summer (I think Prius or somebody has this). Besides, it looks dorky.

8. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner

No.. You're sadly misinformed... It would add almost zero miles per day. The amount of solar power that would be able to be collected on a small solar panel on the car's roof is ridiculously small.

Toyota uses the small solar panel to run.. a fan.

• Like x 3
  9. TerribleOne923

The eniter
    I thought I read somewhere that the it would only yield a few miles of extra range at most..

10. theganjaguru

Read the inside EV article I posted. It appears as though the Prius prime is able to charge the drive batteries.

11. theganjaguru

The majority of cars are parked outside in the "scorching heat" anyways.

12. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

A rooftop solar panel wouldn't add a few miles per day. It would add a couple of feet. It's a gimmick on other cars.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  13. cdub

Well previously it was just to run the fan... maybe in the new one it charges the batteries.

What if all the passengers had pedals so they could get some exercise and charge the batteries? ;)

• Funny x 3
  14. PTADO

PTADO Member

Much rather spend my option budget on many, many other things. A solar roof to power some ACC functions would be close to, if not very last on my list.

15. cdub

• Funny x 1
  16. Boourns

Boourns Member

I believe the highest trim Leaf has or had one in previous model years. From my understanding it charges the 12-volt battery, so if you parked outside for a long time it would prevent that from draining.

17. cdub

My Leaf has had it since 2011... you're correct... it only charges 12 volt. The panel is also tiny tiny tiny.

18. SebastianR

SebastianR Member

I'm aware of that. But I don't think it should be encouraged when it is not required. Right now, the thought process when parking a car is "oh, let me look for shade" if you have panels on the car, it would be more like "let me keep it in the sun, so I use the panels" - neither good for the passengers (car will heat up quicker than any panel driven fan could cool a car) nor for the car paint (UV exposure over long times damages the paint) nor for the battery.

I love solar panels. I just humbly suggest to keep them mounted in a way that they have all-day uninterrupted exposure to the sun and not on a car :)

• Like x 1
  19. cdub

Didn't the Fisker have one that would actually charge the batteries?

• Funny x 1
  20. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Member

The actual "roof" section of the Model 3 is pretty small: Would You Prefer A Solid Roof?
    The rest of what is traditionally considered part of the car roof is occupied by the oversized windshield and rear window, so you can't place solar panels there. In other words, the amount of available real estate on the roof of the Model 3 is very small and the potential benefits from such an installation would be even less than on other comparably sized cars.