Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof/Powerwall Installation Frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an ask, but need to add some context first.

Two years ago I ordered a Solar Roof and two Powerwalls for my home in Swampscott, MA. The Solar Roof install started the beginning of January (2021) and they finished up in March. They told me they would start the Powerwall install as soon as they finished the Solar Roof install but now it's the end of September and no Powerwalls. I'd call every month or so and they tell me I'm in the queue or they are back ordered and eventually I was told they are prioritizing combined solar and Powerwall installs over Powerwall only installs and as mine is now a Powerwall only install, it's not prioritized. I pointed out that I ordered them together but they chose not to install at the same time so it should not be prioritized as a Powerwall only install. The only people I can get on the phone agree with me but don't have the authority to change anything. I'm always told "I'll talk to my manager", and for sure they are sympathetic but still no powerwalls.

To boot, I'm not getting any of my MA SMART rebates as Tesla has not finished the paperwork with the state. I believe they are waiting to submit the paperwork until the powerwalls are installed as the reimbursement rate is different for solar only and solar+batteries.

I received am email today from the MA SMART Solar Incentive Program telling me that the expiration date of my MA SMART program is due to expire soon as Tesla has not submitted the "Preliminary Statement of Qualification". which I don't think they can do until they finish the powerwall install.

I just got off the phone, again, with a very nice Tesla Energy customer service person who was sympathetic but unable to do anything other than "look into it for me". I'm not hopeful.

When the install was happening and I could not get an answer about why they we're not installing the powerwalls, no one at Tesla would call me back. One of the installers gave me the phone number of the manager of local Tesla Energy office (in Wilmington I think). He was great, super helpful and got me all the answers I needed.

Now for the ask: I'd really like to talk to this manager again to get his help with the rest of my project. BUT I don't have his name or number. Anyone know who he is and/or a phone number?

If anyone reading this is in the middle of an install would you mind asking the installers?

I love Tesla, I love my 2014 MS85 (157k miles), I love my solar roof, I'm just wicked frustrated with the silliness of the above story and anyone I can speak with's inability to do anything other than sympathize.

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
house.jpg

PM me - I might be able to relay a contact having undergone a recent solar glass roof + PW install myself. I've got an outstanding punchlist item myself from July 31st still outstanding (interior skylight finish work - nothing related to roof production or the PW's). Maybe we can formulate a social media strategy to get someone's attention?

@sbanks and @Tdreamer...I am at the finish line of signing a quote for a solar roof in Provincetown. The other half wants to talk with people with actual experiences (Cape preferable, but I suspect eastern MA will have to suffice). Would you be open to a short chat about your experiences? I'm new to the forums, and it's unclear how to contact you directly with a DM or some such feature.

@sbanks and @Tdreamer...I am at the finish line of signing a quote for a solar roof in Provincetown. The other half wants to talk with people with actual experiences (Cape preferable, but I suspect eastern MA will have to suffice). Would you be open to a short chat about your experiences? I'm new to the forums, and it's unclear how to contact you directly with a DM or some such feature.
BTW, DM's are called "Conversations" in the TMC forum, and can be found by clicking on the envelope near the top-right corner of the browser (between your logged in forum handle and a bell icon - at least for me that's where it is).

Always happy to talk Tesla. The Good, the Bad and yes from time to time, the Ugly. The story ends well. A couple of drone shots on the last day of install - construction done, the crew was just doing site cleanup before departure.

@CapeCodRoof - I'll reach out to you.

View attachment 716056View attachment 716057
By the way, that's what three weeks of work looks like (minus a few rain days in July and plus three additional days of tear-off in early June).

DM Sent

thanks @sbanks, but i am not seeing your DM. I have received 2 DMs from other members, so I think i can receive, but i didn't get one from you. I unfortunately don't appear to yet have rights to initiate a DM.
There is a restriction on creating DM's for new forum members. I don't know what the threshold is, but I believe after a certain number of posts by you the restriction is lifted.

This sounds like my install experience in Hanover, MA. I ordered solar roof in October 2019 and just got the solar roof installed in February 2021 and Powerwalls at end of July. The Powerwall delay was due to change in MA fire code, previously it would only allow for one battery to be installed but they issued new guidance this summer that allowed the powerwall installation to proceed. Fire code changes can be found here https://www.mass.gov/doc/supersedin...ns-in-one-and-two-family-dwellings-0/download

I'm not smart enough to successfully search threads or subforums; IS there a thread about just the Solar Shingles or Tesla Solar where I might learn about Tesla Solar's progress? I really need a new roof and want to know how long I'll likely have to wait for a Tesla solar roof.

And please don't anybody tell me to contact Tesla.

Always happy to talk Tesla. The Good, the Bad and yes from time to time, the Ugly. The story ends well. A couple of drone shots on the last day of install - construction done, the crew was just doing site cleanup before departure.

@CapeCodRoof - I'll reach out to you.

View attachment 716056View attachment 716057
How much of that is actual power generating shingles and how much is just plain, non-generating shingles on the shady facets?

My roof has 248 active tiles rated at 58.47W each, or 14.5kW total. The active tiles covered the majority of all available surfaces of our roof, but there were passive glass tiles bordering all active tiles, and then around that metal filler/trim pieces. The attached image is our original site plan from the original order. The final design was modified slightly to shift some of the active tiles to the far-left southerly facing surface, and reducing slightly one of the other more northerly surfaces to keep the 14.5kW rating the same.

1633549612788.png