Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof Questions - Can you mix roof types? Is $250 deposit required to get an exact quote? Gutter size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xebec

Mar 20, 2019
PA
Hi there!

I just moved; previous house had Tesla solar panels + Powerwall.

The new house has a large *attached* garage/workshop (2160 sq ft) that has a roof in better shape than the rest of the house.

My two main questions are:

1. Will Tesla work with you to do only a partial roof solution -- i.e. solar shingles all over the rest of the house, while not touching the garage? (so I can have the garage done later as shingles only)

2. I'd like to get a quote for the Tesla solar roof to compare against other local roofers to do the math. I assume just proceed with the $250 deposit, and if I don't like what I hear - request the refund? (should I call instead to discuss #1 first?)

Bonus question:

3. What gutter size(s) does Tesla install? Can you request 6" gutters or do you find a third party for these?

Thanks!

P.S. Here's a diagram of the attached garage / house roof profile.

1655304111217.png

I would suggest you talk to Tesla about your concerns. Each area has different restrictions, limitations, and workloads. Our local Tesla team has pretty much put Solarroof installs on the back burner until Fall because of the workload for regular solar installs being so backlogged and a solar roof being labor intensive.

Reactions: BGbreeder
I would suggest you talk to Tesla about your concerns. Each area has different restrictions, limitations, and workloads. Our local Tesla team has pretty much put Solarroof installs on the back burner until Fall because of the workload for regular solar installs being so backlogged and a solar roof being labor intensive.
Thanks - I'm not in a rush here so just wanted to explore a bit first

Are the two roof separate? I.e. does the garage roof only intersect the sidewall of the house, or does it intersect the house's roof?

If they are separate, there's no reason that couldn't just ignore the garage roof. But I don't know their marketing strategy, they could decide on all or nothing if they wanted to.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: Xebec
Hi there!

I just moved; previous house had Tesla solar panels + Powerwall.

The new house has a large *attached* garage/workshop (2160 sq ft) that has a roof in better shape than the rest of the house.

My two main questions are:

1. Will Tesla work with you to do only a partial roof solution -- i.e. solar shingles all over the rest of the house, while not touching the garage? (so I can have the garage done later as shingles only)

2. I'd like to get a quote for the Tesla solar roof to compare against other local roofers to do the math. I assume just proceed with the $250 deposit, and if I don't like what I hear - request the refund? (should I call instead to discuss #1 first?)

Bonus question:

3. What gutter size(s) does Tesla install? Can you request 6" gutters or do you find a third party for these?
I don't think Tesla would bother if your garage and main house roofs are not physically separated, for that matter I think you may need some physical distance between the 2 roofs even if they are separated either vertically or horizontally. But in my mind it would kind of look odd with a shiny black glass roof and dull looking shingle roof. When I did my roof I think the non solar glass portion comes out to be around $8.00 per sq ft and that is CA pricing, somewhere else could be cheaper or more. I also believe that is at the lower end of shingle roof pricing in CA. So it may be more cost effective to do the whole thing together. As far as I know Tesla does not do gutters, but that is in CA with Tesla own installers, a third party Tesla certified roofer may do that with solar roof, also 6" is a good choice.

I would just use the chat button to talk to someone and throw you questions out and they most likely would suggest if you should put your deposit down or go somewhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xebec