Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

solar roof, roof deck replacement cost @ $2.57 sq ft?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone that had their roof deck replaced as part of their solar roof install, what was your cost per sq foot for the decking?

We had our site visit yesterday, and we need a new roof deck installed (as expected) since we have skip sheathing & a solid deck is needed. Our roof area is ~3500 sq ft and the cost for the decking is $9000. I knew I needed a new deck, but was shocked to at that cost because I had non-tesla re-roof quotes in early 2020 (pre COVID) that was "only" $5500 for the decking (that was PetersenDean, before they went bankrupt). This job is subcontracted out and it supposedly was the lowest bidder, but was curious to hear what others had to pay for roof decking on a per sq ft basis. Did COVID drive prices through the roof (pun intended)?

edit: this is in NorCal (Fremont), since i know pricing will vary by region

Just outside DC, so different region, but still generally expensive, and ours worked out to $1.85/sq ft (~1600 sq ft roof.) This was for an install in March, so bidding was pre-COVID. I could believe that a combination of more home improvement work and possibly increased demand for Tesla's contractors at end of year could drive prices up. With the increased demand, lumber prices around here have gone through the (solar?) roof.

• Helpful
Reactions: funkadelic
thx @jboy210, that article helps give more context on why the decking seemed to be so expensive, given the context that everyone is doing home improvement projects. I have definitely noticed that in my neighborhood
Same in my neighborhood. Everyone seems to be building things, painting their houses, getting new stucco, redoing decks, or adding solar.

Same in my neighborhood. Everyone seems to be building things, painting their houses, getting new stucco, redoing decks, or adding solar.

My completely unscientific thought on this, is now that people are spending so much more time at home (working from home, etc) they are noticing more that they "want" to do to their homes. Things that they only looked at for a couple hours each day after work, are now things they see for 12-15 hours a day.

Couple that with the fact that (again, just personal opinion) people who might have been either moving up in the housing market to a bigger house / better neighborhood, or downsizing due to empty nesting etc, are like "I am not going anywhere, right now... better fix up the yard / re do the kitchen / bathroom / landscaping".

My completely unscientific thought on this, is now that people are spending so much more time at home (working from home, etc) they are noticing more that they "want" to do to their homes. Things that they only looked at for a couple hours each day after work, are now things they see for 12-15 hours a day.

Couple that with the fact that (again, just personal opinion) people who might have been either moving up in the housing market to a bigger house / better neighborhood, or downsizing due to empty nesting etc, are like "I am not going anywhere, right now... better fix up the yard / re do the kitchen / bathroom / landscaping".

Yep, that is what I did basically