Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar roof roof plane question ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know north-facing solar panels don’t generally make any economic sense.

I have a large northwest facing roof plane. Does anybody know if solar roof shingles make any economic sense when facing northwest or northeast (considering the difference in price for installing ‘non-solar’ solar shingles on that plane)?

Last edited:
Sorry for the dumb

I have a large northwest facing roof plane. Does anybody know if solar roof shingles make any economic sense when facing northwest or northeast (considering the difference in price for installing ‘non-solar’ solar shingles on that plane)?

Sorry for the dumb thread title, I can’t edit it.

You generally lose ~15% of annual production with E or W facing panels. The lower production from W facing panels can probably be made up for since afternoon energy is more valuable if you have TOU. If the cost is low enough even N facing solar can make a little sense. In the summer the sun set slightly to the north so it can help boost more of the valuable evening production. You can use PV Watts to model the effect.