Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof/Solar City Financials Events

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bgarret

Model 3 ownin' Michigan scofflaw
May 10, 2013
Michigan
I almost hate to even post this, as there have been a slew of - but Apple, but Google/Alphabet....speculations over the years - but here I go anyway.

- Google has been a player many times in purchasing Solar City debt $280 million here $750 million there.
SolarCity Creates Fund to Finance $750 Million in Residential Solar Projects with Investment from Google | SolarCity
- They have rolled out an online Solar estimator and have acquired Nest to move toward "smart houses".
Google closes $3.2 billion purchase of Nest
Project Sunroof
- They are 10% owners of SpaceX.
-There are close ties among the executives.

The SCTY acquisition may finally be the venue for an Alphabet/Tesla Energy partnership. This wouldn't be "rescue capital", the earnings call yesterday dispelled that. It would be a true partnership with Tesla/SCTY providing the hardware (Powerwall, solar roof, rack system) and Google providing some of the client facing structure (Roof estimator, Nest coordination, Smart House) and some of the financing.

Been nagging at me, so I wanted to get it out there and see if it has any legs.

Cheers.

We'll run it up the flagpole and see how many salutes it gets. I hope you don't mind if, after Friday's reveal, we subsume it into some of the extant threads in the Investors' Sector, however: it gets extremely difficult to navigate the forum when too many similar threads are present.

Very nice post, by the way - thanks!

Reactions: tander
We'll run it up the flagpole and see how many salutes it gets. I hope you don't mind if, after Friday's reveal, we subsume it into some of the extant threads in the Investors' Sector, however: it gets extremely difficult to navigate the forum when too many similar threads are present.

Very nice post, by the way - thanks!
As you see fit Mr. Moderator....possibly wait until after the Financials discussion on November 1st.<===Mod: Good idea; Agreed. Thought of posting on the short-term thread, but things are moving pretty fast over there. Appreciate the time you put in here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost hate to even post this, as there have been a slew of - but Apple, but Google/Alphabet....speculations over the years - but here I go anyway.

- Google has been a player many times in purchasing Solar City debt $280 million here $750 million there.
SolarCity Creates Fund to Finance $750 Million in Residential Solar Projects with Investment from Google | SolarCity
- They have rolled out an online Solar estimator and have acquired Nest to move toward "smart houses".
Google closes $3.2 billion purchase of Nest
Project Sunroof
- They are 10% owners of SpaceX.
-There are close ties among the executives.

The SCTY acquisition may finally be the venue for an Alphabet/Tesla Energy partnership. This wouldn't be "rescue capital", the earnings call yesterday dispelled that. It would be a true partnership with Tesla/SCTY providing the hardware (Powerwall, solar roof, rack system) and Google providing some of the client facing structure (Roof estimator, Nest coordination, Smart House) and some of the financing.

Been nagging at me, so I wanted to get it out there and see if it has any legs.

Cheers.
I think that would be cool to partner with nest etc. But as long as Google is in the self-driving game that makes them fairly direct competitors, which doesn't lend itself well to partnerships. But I don't know, aside from that Google does seem like it would be a good partner. But that said, I think they can probably take their pick of many partners these days and they don't really need any except maybe in China where they would probably be forced to.

I still didn't see any confirmation of my RSVP, so I dug out the email and clicked the RSVP link again. It took me to the page, which said RSVPs are now closed, but it also had different times than my original invitation. It now says doors open 4:30pm for 5:30 presentation.