Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar roof tiles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone paid the 7700 HKD deposit on the Solar Roof on the HK website? Tesla Solar Roof

Tempted.... I got quoted recently for a system on my village house that will allow me to run air con during day time for free during the summer @ 55k HKD. Put that on hold while I waited to see what Tesla HK will do; overseas Tesla claims their total cost is cheaper than conventional solar panel racks. The other contractor recommended against a battery bank (with lead acid batteries vs Tesla's lithium Powerwall 2) as it bumps the cost to slightly over 100k HKD.

Wonder what the total cost would be for the Tesla Solar Roof plus one Powerwall 2 on top of the 7700 HKD deposit...

I think we got the same quote from William 55,000 HKD for 2.5kW system
If you are interested, I have a friend who just installed a 10kW for around the same price after ordering direct from supplier in Shenzhen

Last edited:
Reactions: Titus
I think we got the same quote from William 55,000 HKD for 2.5kW system
If you are interested, I have a friend who just installed a 10kW for around the same price after ordering direct from supplier in Shenzhen

Haha hi again, yea I held back because to be honest I wanted to try out the Tesla roof tiles.
AAAaaaargh 10kw system for 55k HKD sounds like a sweet deal and very tempting haha but sorry I'm going to wait this year to see reviews of the Tesla ones in Hong Kong; if they still don't roll out by end of the year then I'll look back into conventional panels.
Thanks!!

Hmm... 10kw... wow that'll be more than I need to run all AC in the home plus more during the day time

Also take note that the Feed-in-tarrif approval seems to be coming for HK (based on recent scheme of control discussions), so it would seem to make sense to see what happens with that before making such a long-term financial commitment.

Reactions: Titus
Unfortunately our backwards system in Hong Kong considers any such structure on your rooftop an illegal structure.

So long as it is less than 1.5m above the height of the roof, does not weigh more than the allowable loading factor, and is of small enough kW capacity, then it is considered a minor buildings work and no pre-approval is necessary. Solar Roof Tiles should be even simpler.

• Informative
Reactions: ediot and Titus
I too would be very interested in installing Tesla's solar roof tiles when they are available (and getting a Powerwall too). How do I go about putting down a deposit, and if/when I do so will I automatically get updated on progress re. things like the Feed-in-tariff approval and availability? I also live in a village house in SK.

- here the government hasn't been at all supportive of home solar, and the market is generally considered small.

Not specifically P.Wall or S. Roof related, but it's quite sad that the government here isn't making this a priority.
HK is a small place so change should be (relatively) easier but because solar and EV's are the scary new things on the block no one wants to touch them with a 60ft pole. So everything just winds up staying status quo. Heck even with wind, all we got was the one turbine on Lamma, with no plans for any addtional ones (please correct me if i'm wrong).

Now oddly enough China will be leading the way to solar adoption/ panel production, while we here in HK will remain shoulder shrugging at each other while the smog settles in.

Heck even with wind, all we got was the one turbine on Lamma, with no plans for any addtional ones (please correct me if i'm wrong).

Oh, there are plans. The wind farm out at Nine Pins has been on the cards for more than a decade.

hong kong offshore wind farm

Environmental Impact Assessment for that was done back in 2006, and seemingly no progress since. This suffers from "not in my backyard" syndrome.

“Our target is that 1% to 2% of our total electricity supply will come from
renewable sources by 2012”

The Chief Executive of the HKSAR, Donald Tsang, May 2007

I don't know if I should laugh that such a pitiful target was set, or cry that we didn't even reach that deplorable level.