Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar roof token

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm confused but what good would this do anyone outside of Hawaii and California where Tesla is currently selling these roofs???

You can order the solar roof from any state and have it installed in any state. Lots of states even have tax credits that apply to the solar roof on top of federal credits.

Check the solar roof FAQ page here Solar Roof FAQs

They are pretty much sold/booked through 2018, but if you have an early access token, you can skip to the front of the line to get your roof installed. Which is obviously beneficial for people who want a solar roof.

I already have solar, and don't need a new roof. So this token is useless to me, but since it can be transferred - it makes sense to offer it up.

Interested if there is a market for these as my town has its own power company and you can only use their preferred solar vendors and Tesla/solar city are not on the list. That and my roof is less than 10 yrs old so it'd be wasteful.

My referral just took delivery so I should have mine in an email at some point in a few weeks. Don't know what it's worth, but it's stuck between Referral #1 (Toy Ride On Model S) and Referral #3 (Arachnid Wheels and Tires Package). Is Tesla valuing it between those two? who knows - someone make me an offer.

Just as a point of reference my roof was recently damaged in a bad storm and needs to be replaced, my insurance company has given me the check to replace with like kind, but I can always pay the difference and replace with something else. I spoke with multiple people at Tesla/Solar City about this and if I have a token how quickly can I get a roof installed. The answer is "it depends" if you live in a state like California or Hawaii where installs are happening then the token can help you go to the front of the line or at least move you way up and you may get a roof in the next 6 months. If, however, you live in a state where Tesla/Solar City is not doing installs and hasn't put together a plan to acquire resources to do installs (like my state of Kansas) then you are in limbo. The token might move you to the front of the limbo line for your state but they have no idea when (if ever) you would be getting a roof.

So for someone like me who cannot wait indefinitely and who needs a roof before winter sets in it wouldn't matter if I had a bucket of tokens I still wouldn't get a solar roof. In my opinion, this means that tokens are of limited value as they aren't of any value to someone like myself or anyone who lives in a state where installs are not currently happening and for which there is no roadmap. I did some additional research and the number of companies producing these type of solar roof solutions are down to 3, (DOW dropped out) Tesla/Solar City, CertainTeed and Suntegra. Currently the ONLY solution available in my state is the CertainTeed one but their single reseller/installer in my area wants an arm and a leg for their solution and it won't generate as much power as simply getting panels on my roof. (Which my HOA currently objects to completely)

IF we are trading food, I'll offer some of the world's best BBQ for the token, which has to be better than the pizza offer. :)

Mine is no longer available as I gave it to a friend for $0.00.

This is an odd prize and should probably have been switched with #1 as the value is likely lower than the $400-450 folks are selling their toy cars for.

Depends on your point of view. For example, the 30% solar tax credit is reduced to 26% at the end of 2019. Assuming a $60,000 install, that's roughly a $2400 difference. 2019 is a long time away, but I'm still waiting on FSD so who knows how long it'll be until it actually sells - even with the token. (In some areas, they still don't have the option to install powerwalls which was released more than 2 years ago at this point.) So if you're planning on doing this and it can save $2400, you MAY be willing to pay $1200 to jump the line and save a little bit of money...

How did you gift it btw? All I got was an email saying I was on a priority list, there was no actual "token"