TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Solar Roof Update

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by joefee, May 7, 2017.

1. joefee

joefee 2M+ page views on TMC Threads

I started the Model S Delivery Update thread to help gain insight into the delivery process. That thread now has over 2 million page views! It really helped pass the time and provided some great insights since most of the delivery posts were focused in one thread. Let's again try to keep the focus on actual solar roof implementation details vs opinions, speculation and predictions. There may not be much to report now but please check back when you do have something to report.

• Like x 4
  2. Ampster

Ampster Member

#2 Ampster, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
    I put 4kW of solar on my roof in December 2014. As far,as opinions go, I wish I had used Sun Power panels to get more production from my small roof. I have produced 13 megaWatthours in 28 months.

3. number12

number12 Active Member

What's break even? Time/$ wise

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

In August 2016 I had 9.8kW of solar panels installed on my roof and a Powerwall (V1). To date (from late Aug 2016 to early May 2017) I have produced 8.31mWh while consuming 9.13mWh. Since that time period does not include the peak summer production months, it is obvious that I am going to produce significantly more than I will consume over a 12 month period, which is what I anticipated. I planned for some surplus generation to account for possible future increases in electrical usage (considering changing to a heat pump at some point).

So I am very happy with my solar system, and the Powerwall is working well, charging at night during off peak rate time and sometimes during the day during peak solar, while discharging during peak rate time during the day if needed. More info at My new solar and Powerwall installation

5. ecarfan

When you say "solar roof" are you referring to the Tesla Energy solar cell tiles as shown on this page? Tesla Solar

I suspect so. You did not capitalize "solar roof" which made it read as a generic phrase and not a product name. In which case this thread has already gotten off to a false start. And I have contributed to that. ;)

I am also very interested in hearing about the first Tesla Energy "Solar Roof" tile installations. But I don't think that product has started shipping yet.

• Like x 1
  6. Ampster

Ampster Member

10 years initially. My cost before rebate was $4.25/Watt and I am in an all electric home. I replaced the water heater with a heat pump water heater. I hve always been a net consumer but because I do significant load shifting I have had a credit until I bought the Model X. In 2016 I saw my fixed charges go up and I finished the true up with $30 owing. I figured my 2016 cost of energy was at a rate of $0.05/kWhr.

7. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Active Member

8. joefee

Yes, I was referring to the glass tiles made by Tesla not any other. I'm sure there will be multiple threads but my point is to focus on one. I'm hoping this one has an emphasis on factual implementation details!

9. joefee

Sorry for the formatting faux pas. I'm sure will go into a ditch many times as we move along!

10. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

You can report your own post and ask for the title to be changed... How about Tesla Solar Roof Updates.....

I'd love to have some facts on this, since all I can find out is 'they are coming in a month or so...'. Love pricing info to know if I should wait for them or not. ;)

11. joefee

done!

12. viperboy

viperboy Member

Cool, time to subscribe to another thread. I've got a "tuscan" style roof that I know will need to be replaced in 5-10 years. I'll be following this closely to help plan for a Solar Roof and PW2/3/X to go with it.

13. number12

number12 Active Member

PW2 in 5-10 years? Lol

Probably PW9

14. joefee

Welcome! I'm hoping for a new home with Tesla triple play (car, power wall, solar tiles). Started a poll to see who TMC'ers think will be the 1st US homebuilder to offer Tesla Solar Tiles

15. ecarfan

I've got a "2.5 play": 2 Teslas, Powerwall V1, 34 solar panels. Will never have your definition of a "triple play" with my house, since the roof type isn't suitable for any kind of tile, solar or otherwise.

16. number12

number12 Active Member

I'm sure you have answered it 100 times but what was your time break even. Do you think tech has come up or cost down considerably since pulling the trigger.

17. Robertj

Robertj Member

Tesla solar glass roof orders open this afternoon. I think it will be great. More in about 10 hours ...

Twitter Elon Musk
    Tesla solar glass roof orders open this afternoon. I think it will be great. More in about 10 hours ...

18. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

My calculations have that at 2:00 PM ET. Should be interesting to see what this costs, after all the speculation, and what packages they might have. Because a roof by itself (just solar panel equivalents) can't do much, right? Wonder if there will be a PW2 package?

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

How do you consume and produce so little? ;)

• Funny x 2
  20. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Kind of funny that the very first reply was off topic.