Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Glass Tile Solar Roof Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you purchase today, installation will begin in a month!***

*** 'month' refers to a randomly determined month sometime in 2018******

******'sometime in 2018' likely to be sometime in 2019**********

**********'sometime in 2019' not yet determined*

*I couldn't help myself

• Funny
Reactions: evp and Gforce1
Called Tesla this morning and was told the site is scheduled to go live at 12:00 pm PST. There will be some calculators to use and they will be taking $1,000 refundable deposits to get on a list for installs when they become available in your area.

Not happy about the deposit part (mostly because that will bring my total amount with Tesla up to $4,500 in deposits) but if the product looks good then I guess it is what it is. We all should know more later.

Called Tesla this morning and was told the site is scheduled to go live at 12:00 pm PST. There will be some calculators to use and they will be taking $1,000 refundable deposits to get on a list for installs when they become available in your area.

Not happy about the deposit part (mostly because that will bring my total amount with Tesla up to $4,500 in deposits) but if the product looks good then I guess it is what it is. We all should know more later.
Hopefully people do research before going all in on this. In our area, the old lines are not set up to handle power being fed back
into the system. So you get the news stories of residents who spend a lot on a solar installation, only to find out that they have to
pay the power company thousands of dollars for the modifications.

@Barklikeadog - how can I find out if I am affected by that or not, do I have to call my utility company to be sure?
Yup, I would investigate. and if I were doing this I wouldn't take the word of someone over the phone.
Of course Ive never done this before, I'm sure others here have...after reading about unfortunate experiences of others,
I would do every bit of due diligence possible...
Installing solar? Hookups not automatic

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
I wonder if this is going to be like the powerwalls where the reservation doesn't really mean a whole lot or if it's going to be like the model 3 where your reservation actually secures you a place in line.

I think it's going to secure you a place in line. This takes a lot of manufacturing capabilities, and so the first ones will be the first served as they probably won't be able to serve everyone at the same time.

Tesla releases details of its solar roof tiles: cheaper than regular roof with ‘infinity warranty’

Price depends on % of tile that has solar cells. $21.85/ft2 for 35% solar coverage. Maximum is 70% coverage. Typical expected to be 40%

This is the only type of system that would work with our new house. The roof has quite a few angles, and several of the "hot" solar spots are smaller areas. Having only the solar cells in those areas that get the most sunlight would probably end up with 30% solar cells. The house isn't ideal for solar panels, but I'd take the 30% over nothing.

Wow...the cost surprised me, and not in a good way. It's more than I would pay to have new roofing put in, its' even more than I'd pay if I were to put in a new roof AND a new solar system. And the assumption that the system will run for 30 years seems wildly optimistic.

• Disagree
Reactions: Maximilien
Would be excellent if someone got Tesla to separate out the tile cost and the labor cost. Labor rates will be highly different in different markets. Just to give an example for my 275m2 roof the latest offer for a tile roof is 12k€ including everything. Tesla solar roof would be at the current pricing 60k€. That's 5x more expensive, but I think the reason is exuberant labor costs as labor is looot cheaper here in Estonia.

Until I get more details I'm gonna have to pass :/ and anyway if you want to order outside US you get redirected to Other EU page which has 0 data on Solar roof...