Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof vs Panels kWh / yr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am exploring both a Tesla traditional panel system and a solar roof both around 13.7kW systems. Basically, I need a new roof so the solar roof appears to be worth the premium. I have also ordered 3 powerwalls with the system. I use an average of 13kWh / yr and live in NY.

Has anyone else noticed that the solar roof output is significantly less than the traditional panels? My 13.7kW solar roof is estimated to only produce 11,784 kWh / yr. If I assume this will be correct, it might be undersized but my utility only allows a 13.7kW system. The solar panel system would produce around 13kWh / yr.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I stick with the solar roof and trust it will generate enough power and storage with the powerwalls, or return to the traditional panels?

Thanks!

13.7kW is 13.7kW and all things being equal the two systems should produce the same amount of power, however, it would appear that all things are not equal. You didn’t post your layouts, but my guess would be that the solar roof has some active solar tiles that are oriented in less desirable directions. The orientation of the solar cells can make a big impact on annual production.

I am exploring both a Tesla traditional panel system and a solar roof both around 13.7kW systems. Basically, I need a new roof so the solar roof appears to be worth the premium. I have also ordered 3 powerwalls with the system. I use an average of 13kWh / yr and live in NY.

Has anyone else noticed that the solar roof output is significantly less than the traditional panels? My 13.7kW solar roof is estimated to only produce 11,784 kWh / yr. If I assume this will be correct, it might be undersized but my utility only allows a 13.7kW system. The solar panel system would produce around 13kWh / yr.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I stick with the solar roof and trust it will generate enough power and storage with the powerwalls, or return to the traditional panels?

Thanks!

Depending on your climate the solar roof could easily produce ~20% less than solar panels. You lose ~0.5% for every C rise in temperature. A solar roof is going to be a lot hotter than solar panels.

13.7kW is 13.7kW

Not really. Go to PV Watts. For array type you can choose between 'roof mount' or 'open rack'; There's a reason for this. Allowing more air to flow under the panels makes a difference. I guess they need to update the model and add a 'solar roof' option.

Thanks!
If you need a new roof, the solar roof is the way to go. If you are going to stay in that house for a while, then solar roof is the way to go. If you're looking to leave in 5 years or less, i dont know if solar is economical for you. Im also assuming you meant to say that you use 13,000kWh per year.

Reactions: preilly44
The energy density, say kw/sqft, seems to be less with solar roof. So I wonder if the 13.7kW is equally split up across the same roof planes, or more of it is on sub-optimal planes with solar roof. That’s my guess.
That is correct that the solar roof has a significantly lower energy density. It is somewhat offset (depending on the roof) by being able to squeeze PV shingles into smaller places where panels couldn't fit, but I would agree that likely the output difference is largely due to more generation being located in sub-optimal locations.