Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar roofs installed in the last 3 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love to hear from anyone who has had a solar roof/ solar glass roof installed recently. How did the process go? How long did your design take and if you did any redesigns.

I have not heard anything from the solar roof team since Febuary when they claimed to be "ready to go" and I requested a small redesign and now have not heard anything.

I have not seen permits for anything installed in my state (MA)

I have no idea about the situation in Mass, but here in Northern California (East Bay) the Tesla install teams are swamped. A lead told me they are de-prioritizing Solarroof installs to try to work through the backlog of solar panel installs. When we talked in the early Spring, they had well over 100 jobs in the queue and most of those were the faster to do panel installs.

Guy at work just had his solar roof installed (7 kWp DC) in Northern California (near San Jose). He said it went super smooth.

He did roof-only, no Powerwalls. He was worried about getting stuck with NEM 3.0, but he's pleased.
I am surprised they even installed a Solarroof without Powerwalls. When we bought that was not an option. The only choice we had was 1,2 or 3 Powerwalls.

I am currently getting a tesla solar roof installed in SF Bay Area. Resigned contract in Dec 2021 (after Tesla finally agreed to honor my original contract price). Having a 9.3KW system installed with no powerwall. The first few days went smoothly as their sub last week tore off my old roof, installed new decking and waterproofing. Tesla started the solar roof install today and are supposed to be done this friday. They left early today, saying half of the solar tiles that were delivered were the older 52 watt tiles and not the newer 72 watt tiles. The lead installer was hopeful Tesla would be able to deliver the remaining tiles tomorrow so they can resume the install. Ill keep this group posted.

I am surprised they even installed a Solarroof without Powerwalls. When we bought that was not an option. The only choice we had was 1,2 or 3 Powerwalls.

He's a lawyer so he probably threatened them with some FTC stuff around the legality of tying products together that are fine working independently.

In the case of the Tesla Solar roof, there is no literature that says the solar roof fails to operate without Powerwalls. In the case of Powerwalls, they're often sold through authorized channels without the Solar Roof... so it'd be hard for Tesla to claim the two products have to be sold together.

The force tying of the two products together could be perceived as a means to keep out the competition and drive up transaction prices.

Last edited:
I just had mine done check my thread about my experience. Overall it works great and I'm very happy, although damages do have to be remedied. I also got the old price so Tesla is probably losing money on my install lol!

Last edited by a moderator: