Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar roofs outside of coverage area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in rural northern NY, only about 20 minutes from the border. SolarCity's website says they don't cover my area currently. I'm looking to install solar but also need a new roof in the next couple years, so I've been waiting for more information about the Tesla solar roof.

I'm getting very concerned however that the federal solar subsidy might not exist in the next year or two, so I'm not willing to wait more than a few months to see if SolarCity expands to cover my area. The question is, has there been any indication that Tesla will distribute the solar roofing system to third party installers, and if not are there any cost effective alternatives out there? To me cost effective means less that the total cost less than a standing seam metal roof plus solar installation.

I have a feeling that the solar tiles will eventually(rather quickly) be sold to 3rd party installers. I don't see the demand being great enough just inside the SC territory if they're producing in the volumes we've become accustomed to with Elon's thinking. Plus the tech should be so self-contained that no one mildly competent could screw it up.