Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar with SCE TOU-D-PRIME vs. TOU-D-4-9PM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that one gets paid the same rates for electricity that you generate as for electricity that you consume, but it doesnt seem to be the case. In fact you get paid $0.02 for net surplus kWh! Did you know this?

You do get credited at the same rate. But if you overproduce (i.e. you are a net generator) then you are only credited at the wholesale rate for your net generation, once a year.

I thought that one gets paid the same rates for electricity that you generate as for electricity that you consume, but it doesnt seem to be the case. In fact you get paid $0.02 for net surplus kWh! Did you know this?

You get paid the same rate but only until the end of the 12 months. You use those to offset your monthly usage. But if you have leftover, then they paid you the wholesales rate.. which is like $0.03 for me. It was explained to me when I installed solar.

Note that many Community Choice Aggregators (CCA's) do pay out for the generation at retail rates, though. If you do have a CCA in your area, it's worth investigating that. I assume the reason why they do this is so you can offset generation credits against transmission costs, but it does also have the side-effect that net producers get a higher payout for their excess production.

If you over generate, do those savings offset the Nonbypassable and delivery charges?

As I understand it, not initially. After the first year, when you get paid for the actual excess kW you generate, you get a credit applied to your bill that will then offset the NBCs. At least that's what I believe... but I haven't gone through an entire year yet, though I expect to generate some excess.

Definitely a new mindset as far as conserving electricity goes. I'm like, well, I could get some more electric heaters for the winter and use less natural gas... or if the natural gas water heater goes, I'll get an electric on demand water heater.

If you over generate, do those savings offset the Nonbypassable and delivery charges?

Over generated electricity was around $0.03 per kwh at the end of the 12 months I think... can't remember the exact rate. The nonbypassable rate was about $0.01 per kwh. So I guess if you actually generate about 34% extra averaging over the year than you use (kwh wise not $ wise), then you could break even at the end of the 12 months?

Interesting. Only on my first month. 7.85 solar with 1 Powerwall on SCE in SoCal with TOU -D rate with 4pm to 9pm peak rate. 25 cents for off peak and 36 cents for peak. Trying to decide if I would be better Off with time based or cost savings. Guess I will have a better understanding after a couple of bills.

Interesting. Only on my first month. 7.85 solar with 1 Powerwall on SCE in SoCal with TOU -D rate with 4pm to 9pm peak rate. 25 cents for off peak and 36 cents for peak. Trying to decide if I would be better Off with time based or cost savings. Guess I will have a better understanding after a couple of bills.

What I stated was if you over gen (in total) at the end of the 12 months. If you over gen for the month, the $ amount will be stored to offset your usage (but not non-bypassable) for future until the end of the 12 months. At end of 12th month, you have to cash out the kwh stored. Last year I had $1800+ and I cash out at about $50. Even though I have extra $ carry over every month, I still have to pay the non-bypassable monthly $20 to $30. I don't have powerwall though so you will have to play with that to see how it affects your bills.

BTW, I am your neighbor at Rancho Cucamonga. :)

What I stated was if you over gen (in total) at the end of the 12 months. If you over gen for the month, the $ amount will be stored to offset your usage (but not non-bypassable) for future until the end of the 12 months. At end of 12th month, you have to cash out the kwh stored. Last year I had $1800+ and I cash out at about $50. Even though I have extra $ carry over every month, I still have to pay the non-bypassable monthly $20 to $30. I don't have powerwall though so you will have to play with that to see how it affects your bills.

Thanks for the insight neighbor!

All,

Unfortunately I lost SCE's TOU-D-A rate plan some time ago. My choices now are TOU-D-PRIME (which I'm currently on) and TOU-D-4-9PM. I just received my first NEM 2.0 bill. Happy to say it's only $18.09 due today, and $4.17 added for year-to-date charges. Not bad for February. Screenshot below.

However, SCE's PRIME rate plan has a ~ $0.40 daily charge, which adds up to about $12 per bill. I've tried to understand what that might look like with TOU-D-4-9PM. I've seen a 3 cent daily charge plus a 35 cent minimum charge, but I'm trying to understand what that actually looks like in practice.

Does anyone currently have solar with SCE's TOU-D-4-9PM and would be willing share a screenshot of their "Details of your new charges" section?

Thanks in advance.

PRIME:
View attachment 512817

I got my solar in July and I was on TOUD-Prime but then looks like SCE switched to TOUD-4to9 plan without checking with me. I am not sure which one is better with Solar and Tesla Model Y.

Here is my SNAP shots of the Bill. If any guru on SCE billing has any ideal on which plan is better between TOU-D-PRIME v/s TOUD-4-9PM Plan then I will really appreciate the feedback. Reading this SCE bill it's very painful process.

Attachments

• TOUD-4-9PM.PNG
    TOUD-4-9PM.PNG
    40.6 KB · Views: 192
  • TOUD-4-9PM-v1.PNG
    TOUD-4-9PM-v1.PNG
    39.4 KB · Views: 113
  • TOUD-4-9PM-v2.PNG
    TOUD-4-9PM-v2.PNG
    77.5 KB · Views: 145
  • TOUD-4-9PM-v3.PNG
    TOUD-4-9PM-v3.PNG
    61.8 KB · Views: 106
  • TOUD-4-9PM-v4.PNG
    TOUD-4-9PM-v4.PNG
    14.6 KB · Views: 114
  • TOUD-4-9PM-v5.PNG
    TOUD-4-9PM-v5.PNG
    69.5 KB · Views: 112
  • TOU-D-Prime-08-22-21-thru-08-26-21.PNG
    TOU-D-Prime-08-22-21-thru-08-26-21.PNG
    26.7 KB · Views: 107
  • TOU-D-Prime-08-22-21-thru-08-26-21-v1.PNG
    TOU-D-Prime-08-22-21-thru-08-26-21-v1.PNG
    75 KB · Views: 158
I got my solar in July and I was on TOUD-Prime but then looks like SCE switched to TOUD-4to9 plan without checking with me. I am not sure which one is better with Solar and Tesla Model Y.

Here is my SNAP shots of the Bill. If any guru on SCE billing has any ideal on which plan is better between TOU-D-PRIME v/s TOUD-4-9PM Plan then I will really appreciate the feedback. Reading this SCE bill it's very painful process.
I think the only time TOU-D-PRIME makes sense is if you are a net consumer of off-peak energy. From your September bill you are a net generator of off peak by 441 kWh. This is obviously just a one month snapshot so its hard to predict how your usage and generation will change through the year.

The two main benefits of TOU-D-4-9PM is that you don't pay the daily charge which will save you $12/month and since the peak/off peak prices are closer together your off peak generation (which most of the solar will be) can better offset the cost of your peak usage.

Reactions: Need and jjrandorin

Did you ever figure out which option is best? TOU-D-Prime vs TOU-D-4-9? I’m near you, and have Tesla solar as well as Model Y.