Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar with SCE TOU-D-PRIME vs. TOU-D-4-9PM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

Unfortunately I lost SCE's TOU-D-A rate plan some time ago. My choices now are TOU-D-PRIME (which I'm currently on) and TOU-D-4-9PM. I just received my first NEM 2.0 bill. Happy to say it's only $18.09 due today, and $4.17 added for year-to-date charges. Not bad for February. Screenshot below.

However, SCE's PRIME rate plan has a ~ $0.40 daily charge, which adds up to about $12 per bill. I've tried to understand what that might look like with TOU-D-4-9PM. I've seen a 3 cent daily charge plus a 35 cent minimum charge, but I'm trying to understand what that actually looks like in practice.

Does anyone currently have solar with SCE's TOU-D-4-9PM and would be willing share a screenshot of their "Details of your new charges" section?

Thanks in advance.

PRIME:
SCE NEM Feb 14.png

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Im not on this plan, but am in SCE territory, so thank you for posting a screenshot of what it looks like on prime. I am still on a regular tiered plan under NEM 1.0 (the kind where the cost per kWh goes up depending on how much you use, not when you use it, from 19 cents to start, to 28 cents, to 42 cents respectively).

under my plan I need to minimize overall usage, instead of shifting to late night etc.. but because I am on NEM 1.0 they also pay me 19 cents for my solar generation, so it doesnt benefit me to change.

Hopefully someone posts the information you are looking for.

Well I think I answered my own question. Appears that if you're a net-zero solar customer, you'll just pay the connection charge.

There really isn't much difference between the 2... $0.395 cents a day for PRIME, or about $11.85 a month minimum, and $0.35 minimum on 4-9, so $10.50. Baseline credit for 4-9 will help you out if you are a net-consumer. Otherwise, too bad. Moral: hang on to TOU-D-A as long as you can.

Does the OP gave Tesla(s) and if so when will the charging happen? I charge my 2 Tesla’s from 1am-6am mainly using credits created during the day. I am on the grandfathered TOU-D-B from SCE. Prime may or may not be better with lower rates if you do a lot of charging.

Does the OP gave Tesla(s) and if so when will the charging happen? I

Yes, my wife's MS charges from about 4 am onward, and my M3 during the day when needed. I can charge mine under the solar profile usually, so that's a win. PRIME's great for EV charging without solar, but if I'm going to be a net solar producer (which looks possible) I wanted to minimize the SCE mandatory charges as much as possible and then put it on autopilot, so to speak. If I net produce, then I'm not really concerned about the cost of the kWh. I avoid all high-cost kWh from 4-9pm with my Powerwalls.

I realize this is only about $5-10 a month (maybe), but over the life of the system that can amount to several grand. Plus, I'm a little bitter SCE turned my power off at least 6 times last year (between maintenance and PSPS outages), and would prefer to not give them a single penny more than necessary. :mad:

I worked out that for me being on TOU 4-9 would yield $500 more per year than on TOU PRIME. Posted somewhere here. But then rates changed. I dont know what the new numbers are but for me 4-9 is still going to give back more $$ than PRIME. Also usage from 9-8 was also expensive, now its changed and its a little more expensive in winter than super off peak. My powerwalls need to last from 4pm-8am and they mostly do. I only charge from 8-4.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 19.34.41.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 19.34.41.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 597
  • Helpful
Reactions: schrodarkian
I worked out that for me being on TOU 4-9 would yield $500 more per year than on TOU PRIME. Posted somewhere here. But then rates changed. I dont know what the new numbers are but for me 4-9 is still going to give back more $$ than PRIME. Also usage from 9-8 was also expensive, now its changed and its a little more expensive in winter than super off peak. My powerwalls need to last from 4pm-8am and they mostly do. I only charge from 8-4.

Thanks for posting that screenshot! Sincerely appreciated!

Wow I didn't know Prime daily rate is so crazy high. Now I know when my TOU-D-A ran out, I am NOT switching to Prime. TOU-D-A daily charge is $0.024 but TOU-D-4-9's $0.03 does not sound too bad.

Also I found out I use 4X more electricity than OP LOL.

I thought that one gets paid the same rates for electricity that you generate as for electricity that you consume, but it doesnt seem to be the case. In fact you get paid $0.02 for net surplus kWh! Did you know this?