Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar won't save the world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
one of the MY facebook pages has a link to an Elon blog post from 2006 laying out their whole business plan. in it they point out that all monies are re-invested for further development. and i think that's accurate. in the past couple of weeks as i have joined the tesla cult by reading and learning, i have come across several articles saying that tesla is 5-6 years ahead of everybody else, and GAINING!

in case you haven't seen it
The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me)
That makes us feel good; we are now helping build gigafactory Berlin. Solar electricity will not save the world; as if we all live in the California desert. If you watch any TED you know California has been there and done that as well as wind and the results are not good. May work to save one household money (how toxic are the panels) but it is clearly not the value required to solve the equation. The only thing that man has right now to get off coal generation of electricity (CO2 and eventually natural gas) is not new but clear. Scares people but if what sciences and engineers say is coming starts to show up there is no other clean power source to generate the electricity required to power our cities at this point. Some in Europe know it and has start plants. Geothermal has had some breakthroughs lately but so has solid state batteries. There is no snow where Santa lives and Greenland is next. Google map it and look at Greenland this spring and next. Filling up our green vehicles with CO2 electricity will require review. Electric cars will grow because of Tesla; not because they are green but because the are faster. I think they will be remembered in history for that as they understand the human race and have given us a good start. If the governments will not support them and others like them then it is good to know people such as you and I do. I have invested by buying a vehicle and a return on my money is not required.

Reactions: Aarons12
That makes us feel good; we are now helping build gigafactory Berlin. Solar electricity will not save the world; as if we all live in the California desert. If you watch any TED you know California has been there and done that as well as wind and the results are not good. May work to save one household money (how toxic are the panels) but it is clearly not the value required to solve the equation. The only thing that man has right now to get off coal generation of electricity (CO2 and eventually natural gas) is not new but clear. Scares people but if what sciences and engineers say is coming starts to show up there is no other clean power source to generate the electricity required to power our cities at this point. Some in Europe know it and has start plants. Geothermal has had some breakthroughs lately but so has solid state batteries. There is no snow where Santa lives and Greenland is next. Google map it and look at Greenland this spring and next. Filling up our green vehicles with CO2 electricity will require review. Electric cars will grow because of Tesla; not because they are green but because the are faster. I think they will be remembered in history for that as they understand the human race and have given us a good start. If the governments will not support them and others like them then it is good to know people such as you and I do. I have invested by buying a vehicle and a return on my money is not required.
as he points out, he considers solar ONE of the renewable energy sources. and recently they announced that they are working on ways to make larger solar installations and distribute the power locally. i agree we need to do other stuff as well, but i guess he feels he can only do so much.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
as he points out, he considers solar ONE of the renewable energy sources. and recently they announced that they are working on ways to make larger solar installations and distribute the power locally. i agree we need to do other stuff as well, but i guess he feels he can only do so much.
Not even one and too small to figure into the equations. A smoke and mirrors show at best.

Reactions: Aarons12
i'm not an engineer or anything, but disagree that solar is too small to have an impact.
That is always your prerogative my friend; just like it is mine to believe that panels full of heavy metals that turn into computer junk in 15 to 20 years may not be the best answer to generate the stable power requirement for New York City. There battery storage on the other hand has some good benefits. Solar panels and wind turbines not so much for me.

That is always your prerogative my friend; just like it is mine to believe that panels full of heavy metals that turn into computer junk in 15 to 20 years may not be the best answer to generate the stable power requirement for New York City. There battery storage on the other hand has some good benefits. Solar panels and wind turbines not so much for me.
i DO agree that there are no perfect solutions to most things, including this. my part of environmental studies is mostly on the weather/climate change side. you obviously know more about solar and it's long term benefits and costs than i do. but i DO know that we can't continue to burn carbon based fuel, and there are definitely 'lesser' and 'greater' evils and goods that must be balanced. right now it's all being messed up by corporate greed.

Not all solar cell is created equal, as not all lithium battery contains the same chemistry nor manufacture process.

The lead and cadmium in conventional crystalline silicon but there are other types of solar cell do not require these materials.

Extracting and burning the fossil fuels (as well as coals) generate much more toxicity than the crystalline silicon in the entire product life cycle (Metallic elements in fossil fuel combustion products: amounts and form of emissions and evaluation of carcinogenicity and mutagenicity.). Solar cell can be recycled but the metallic element released by the emission cannot.

In addition to metallic element, burning coals also generate radiative dusts more a single nuclear plant (Coal Ash Is More Radioactive Than Nuclear Waste).

@feigen66 Blows my mind the amount of CO2 emissions up here and we are less than 2% global with 60% generated by only 2 countries. They say the amount of nuclear fuel required per person for their entire life is about the size of a rubik's cube. For every billion people 1/2 a football field cubed. Adds up and needs to be addressed but yes it is clean and the only answer with current tech. https://www.aecl.ca/science-technology/small-modular-reactors/

@Aarons12 As we noted it is because they are faster, desirable and point made for me via frustration. As I said that is the genius of Tesla, they knew it and they have done it. They should be rewarded and remembered for it. The first thread in the history of forums to go OT. There is a ignore list correct?