Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
Solar City is being added to the NASDAQ Q-50 on Monday. Remember how Solar City acted prior to being added to the Russell 2000. There was a brief pause and decline the week before the event, followed by the stock rallying over 100 percent in the weeks that followed. Do funds that track an index and funds that own a stock that is about to be added to be added to an index usually pause the week before the event occurs?

Update : Why wasn't Solar City added in March? According to the first link, Solar City was supposed to be added in March.

Quarterly Changes to the NASDAQ Q-50 Index (NASDAQ:NDAQ)

Quarterly Changes to the NASDAQ Q-50 Index - NASDAQ.com

Could this explain why the stock fell after reaching $80? At an $8 Billion market cap, Solar City was among the largest market cap holding for many of the larger indexes that own it.

Holdings | SolarCity Corporation (SCTY) | ETF Analysis and Performance

Last edited:
You're welcome. Here's an article about today’s SolarCity “Inside Energy” summit in New York which featured Elon Musk as keynote speaker.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/el...d-box-may-one-day-power-your-house-2014-09-17

Elon Musk: A thermostat-sized box may one day power your house
5:17p ET September 17, 2014 (MarketWatch)

Nice. Much appreciated. :) I seriously can't wait to see what's these two companies do in the next ten years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand the thermostat sized comment...an object that small will not have adequate energy storage potential. It would even need to surpass the energy density of gasoline to have any measurable amount of energy storage on a home consumption scale.

Has there been any time frame given on when they will build this panel manufacturing plant an order of magnitude larger than the current plants? I really need to get back into SCTY before that happens. I liked to see the recent press release about the commercial mounting hardware. I love to see the R&D ramp up in SCTY.

You're welcome. Here's an article about today’s SolarCity “Inside Energy” summit in New York which featured Elon Musk as keynote speaker.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/el...d-box-may-one-day-power-your-house-2014-09-17

Elon Musk: A thermostat-sized box may one day power your house

5:17p ET September 17, 2014 (MarketWatch)

By Jennifer Booton, MarketWatch

Admin note: As a reminder, please respect copyrights and don't copy and paste entire articles. Link to the original article and perhaps just quote the intro or whatever relevant part. Some posts above were edited accordingly.

Thanks! :)

Vivint Solar IPO

Vivint Solar expected its IPO to be priced between $16 and $18 per share, valuing it at about $1.9b billion at the top end of the price range.

Market CapMarket ShareRetained VauleRetained Vaule per wattInstallation Cost
Vivint Solar$1.9B 9%$309.9M$2.39didn't say, seems lower
SolarCity$6.06B 30%$1800M$1.72$2.29/watt

Last edited:

Vivint Solar IPO

Vivint Solar expected its IPO to be priced between $16 and $18 per share, valuing it at about $1.9b billion at the top end of the price range.

Market CapMarket ShareRetained VauleRetained Vaule per wattInstallation Cost
Vivint Solar$1.9B 9%$309.9M$2.39didn't say, seems lower
SolarCity$6.06B30%$1800M$1.72$2.29/watt

What's the rub on this company. I know they are #2 on installs right behind SolarCity. Is it worth getting into? I got into SC at $10 right on the IPO, wondering if this company is a solid player in the industry....

What's the rub on this company. I know they are #2 on installs right behind SolarCity. Is it worth getting into? I got into SC at $10 right on the IPO, wondering if this company is a solid player in the industry....

I repeat the final paragraph of the post in which I initiated this thread:

"Eventually that thread was hijacked for the discussion of other solar companies and alternative energy in general. SolarCity got lost in the noise. Now that SCTY has fallen 30% this month, I'm resurrecting a purely SCTY thread. Other alternative energy companies should only be mentioned in the context of how they might affect SolarCity. Current or potential SCTY shareholders are invited to participate."

There is another thread in this forum for more general discussion of Solar and other alternative energy companies. It was originally a SolarCity thread but got hijacked and was renamed: Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

well... can we at least allow SCTY's direct competitor to be discussed here?

"Eventually that thread was hijacked for the discussion of other solar companies and alternative energy in general. SolarCity got lost in the noise. Now that SCTY has fallen 30% this month, I'm resurrecting a purely SCTY thread. Other alternative energy companies should only be mentioned in the context of how they might affect SolarCity. Current or potential SCTY shareholders are invited to participate."

There is another thread in this forum for more general discussion of Solar and other alternative energy companies. It was originally a SolarCity thread but got hijacked and was renamed: Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

well... can we at least allow SCTY's direct competitor to be discussed here?

As long as that pertains to how it will affect SolarCity and its shareholders. Otherwise, this thread is doomed to be hijacked in the manner of the first SolarCity thread whose title had to be changed to "Alternative Energy Investor Discussions". It would be appreciated if discussions solely about Vivint Solar be posted in that other thread. Otherwise we'll again have to go through the process of starting up a new solely SolarCity thread for SolarCity shareholders and prospective investors. Thank you in advance for understanding and cooperating.

Last edited:

I am curious, respect curt but wonder why he gets to choose what is discussed? Originator of thread does not control content.

I am curious, respect curt but wonder why he gets to choose what is discussed? Originator of thread does not control content.

I understand. However, I hope that others understand the intent of this thread and why it was created to replace a previous SolarCity thread that had been hijacked. Otherwise, chaos reigns. As I did this spring regarding other attempts to hijack this newer thread, I have again asked a moderator to intervene. It was the moderator who then moved non-SolarCity posts to the older thread which he had renamed. That other thread still exists for the discussion of other solar companies.

I understand and get it. I was just really wanting someone who had read about them to give a crash course in basically one post of whether or not to invest in them.....I've seen the name for along time, but never studied them. Would be nice to spread the eggs in the basket.....but I agree, I want this thread to be focused on SC as well because I have a lot of money tied to it.

I understand and get it. I was just really wanting someone who had read about them to give a crash course in basically one post of whether or not to invest in them.....I've seen the name for along time, but never studied them. Would be nice to spread the eggs in the basket.....but I agree, I want this thread to be focused on SC as well because I have a lot of money tied to it.

That's understandable; you're not the one who started posting about Vivant Solar and were simply responding. However, I suspect you may get a good answer to your question, if posted in the other much more heavily frequented thread: Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

I have been out of SCTY for awhile but now seems like a great time to get back in. I am going to be looking at some LEAPS tomorrow.

Key Strengths that have brought me back to SCTY (I have always believed in them but at some point on a huge pullback from TSLA I dumped all other securities into TSLA.

-The rate at which they are adding retained value

-The financing company they bought that included the creator of Prosper coming to work for SCTY.

-Their plans to build a Giga Factory for High Efficiency panels.

-I believe the money they are pouring into R&D will continue to separate them from the pack.

-The rate at which they are adding retained value !

Status
Not open for further replies.