Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Falling below previous support... could this be the start of a correction coming?

I have been waiting for a reentry since I sold a few months ago.

Money being withdrawn from momentum stocks to buy the BABA IPO may have pressured SCTY this week. An upcoming IPO from another solar company might also affect SCTY. I'm waiting for that to pass before considering reentry into SCTY.

Money being withdrawn from momentum stocks to buy the BABA IPO may have pressured SCTY this week. An upcoming IPO from another solar company might also affect SCTY. I'm waiting for that to pass before considering reentry into SCTY.
Thanks for the heads up on the solar IPO Curt. I take it your referring to Vivint Solar Inc.? Is it possible that Vivint Solar could boost SCTY by bringing attention to the solar stocks? I don't see people selling SCTY to buy this new solar stock.

Thanks for the heads up on the solar IPO Curt. I take it your referring to Vivint Solar Inc.? Is it possible that Vivint Solar could boost SCTY by bringing attention to the solar stocks? I don't see people selling SCTY to buy this new solar stock.

You're welcome, Chris. Yes, that's the IPO to which I was referring. You may be right about attention being helpful. However, I remain cautious due to the possibility that some people may want to diversify their solar holdings by selling some SCTY to buy the IPO. Then again, they may not. I don't believe a firm date has been set for the IPO, but it should be soon. We'll learn how investors react before long.

You're welcome, Chris. Yes, that's the IPO to which I was referring. You may be right about attention being helpful. However, I remain cautious due to the possibility that some people may want to diversify their solar holdings by selling some SCTY to buy the IPO. Then again, they may not. I don't believe a firm date has been set for the IPO, but it should be soon. We'll learn how investors react before long.
Curt, I found this article that talks a little about Vivint Solar and Solar City. I posted the link just because it talks about how Solar City has a 30% market share and Vivint Solar only has about 9%. Vivint Solar will be valued around 2 billion where Solar City is valued around 6 billion. So to me it seems Solar City is still a better buy at a 6 billion Valuation. The Blackstone Group - Vivint Solar IPO: A Potential Green Triple-Play? | Benzinga.

Curt, I found this article that talks a little about Vivint Solar and Solar City. I posted the link just because it talks about how Solar City has a 30% market share and Vivint Solar only has about 9%. Vivint Solar will be valued around 2 billion where Solar City is valued around 6 billion. So to me it seems Solar City is still a better buy at a 6 billion Valuation. The Blackstone Group - Vivint Solar IPO: A Potential Green Triple-Play? | Benzinga.

I think SCTY should Buy or merge with VSLR.

Man does SCTY look tempting at these prices...I'm thinking about it.

I recently went long on some Jan 2017 140's and added some Jan 2017 120's today. I was excited to see SCTY more or less hold the line at the 200 day. With SCTY adding 500million in retained value per quarter (and increasing quickly) I think it is a very attractive proposition at these levels. As a TSLA permabull I am even considering transferring some of my TSLA calls over to SCTY.

- - - Updated - - -

I think SCTY should Buy or merge with VSLR.

Why do you feel this way? I am not sure what that would bring to the table for SCTY? not the mounting hardware :)

I recently went long on some Jan 2017 140's and added some Jan 2017 120's today. I was excited to see SCTY more or less hold the line at the 200 day. With SCTY adding 500million in retained value per quarter (and increasing quickly) I think it is a very attractive proposition at these levels. As a TSLA permabull I am even considering transferring some of my TSLA calls over to SCTY.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you feel this way? I am not sure what that would bring to the table for SCTY? not the mounting hardware :)

I think SCTY would benefit due to:
1. Knocking out #2 in market share, (9% + SCTY 30%=39). More exponential growth for SCTY.
2. Decent Retained Value $309.9M.
3. More reasons to serve customer Alarm, Smart Home, etc. SCTY does Home Energy Audits.
4. 850,000 Customers they have only penetrated 2.5% of that amount with 21,921 customers w/#3 above. Here is a good article:
All The Numbers Of The Vivint IPO You Need To Know | SolarWakeup.com

I could be wrong as I'm not a businessman.

BTW Thanks for answering my first post here ever! And I would like to thank all of you for posting here and teaching me so much! Much respect to you all! I got into SCTY and TSLA with my retirement IRA because of positive comments from Sal D., breaking through the Massive amount FUD on Seeking Alpha. I can't believe it's even legal to operate that sight!

Well, Flux - neither any press release or blog from Solar City, as of this afternoon, nor ANY reference in that article other than the first paragraph, makes use of the giga-word. I looked it up just to make sure that it was indeed either ann over-enthusiastic reporter and/or headline writer who snagged that soon-to-be-waaaaay-overused term:mad:

But, as far as the development of a Very Large factory for Silevo/Solar City in the Buffalo area, yes, that has been discussed over the past several months.

But, as far as the development of a Very Large factory for Silevo/Solar City in the Buffalo area, yes, that has been discussed over the past several months.

Indeed, the story is three months old, but the New York governor put out a press release today and apparently thought the term Gigafactory is cool and applicable. Here's a story from June: SolarCity to build factory in New York - Jun. 17, 2014

Of more immediate concern, this notice of a half billion dollar convertible note offering came out after the market close and may have caused some jitters in the after hours:
SolarCity Launches $500 Million Convertible Senior Notes Offering (NASDAQ:SCTY)

Well, Flux - neither any press release or blog from Solar City, as of this afternoon, nor ANY reference in that article other than the first paragraph, makes use of the giga-word. I looked it up just to make sure that it was indeed either ann over-enthusiastic reporter and/or headline writer who snagged that soon-to-be-waaaaay-overused term:mad:

Huh. 5 billion dollar plant. Funny same figure as tesla giga factory. Are these realtime estimates or pulled from the air. I find it hard to think each one would have the same estimate. Remarkable coincidence

Huh. 5 billion dollar plant. Funny same figure as tesla giga factory. Are these realtime estimates or pulled from the air. I find it hard to think each one would have the same estimate. Remarkable coincidence

The real figure is 750 million. The 5 billion includes all payroll and other things over the next 10 years.

Edit: seem to be conflicting news reports and now I can not find that article I had read. I sure wish I could get a video of this event.

Last edited:
Of more immediate concern, this notice of a half billion dollar convertible note offering came out after the market close and may have caused some jitters in the after hours:
SolarCity Launches $500 Million Convertible Senior Notes Offering (NASDAQ:SCTY)

Indeed - it will be interesting to see how the market responds to this convertible note offering. It's not dilution so that is good.

What are the risks associated with this convertible note? Are they on the hook to meet certain benchmarks by 2019? Some of the legal-speak in their announcement was a bit over my head and I didn't see specific note pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.