Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is the SCTY thread, but the VSLR price is pretty low right now. Would I be betting against myself to buy (using new cash) some of it since it's direct competition is SCTY or does the whole "spreading your eggs around" and the fact that there is enough room for solar installations to go around make it ok?

Last edited:
I know this is the SCTY thread, but the VSLR price is pretty low right now. Would I be betting against myself to buy (using new cash) some of it since it's direct competition is SCTY or does the whole "spreading your eggs around" and the fact that there is enough room for solar installations to go around make it ok?

As stated in my post that initiated this thread, discussion of other solar companies should only be made in reference to how they might affect SolarCity and its shares. Otherwise there is a thread in this forum titled "Alternative Energy Investor Discussions". It was originally a SCTY thread but got hijacked by discussion of other solar companies and SCTY got drowned in the noise, so its title was changed. That's the reason I initiated this new SCTY thread last March.

As I expressed in post's #903 & #905, I was holding off on reentering SCTY due to the possibility that some investors wanting to buy VSLR would sell some of their SCTY shares and depress SCTY's price. Apparently you would use new cash to buy VSLR. I can't quarrel with diversification, but keep in mind that yours is money that would not be used to support the SCTY price.

Last edited:
As stated in my post that initiated this thread, discussion of other solar companies should only be made in reference to how they might affect SolarCity and its shares. Otherwise there is a thread in this forum titled "Alternative Energy Investor Discussions". It was originally a SCTY thread but got hijacked by discussion of other solar companies and SCTY got drowned in the noise. That's the reason I initiated this new SCTY thread last March.

As I expressed in post's #903 & #905, I was holding off on reentering SCTY due to the possibility that some investors wanting to buy VSLR would sell some of their SCTY shares and depress SCTY's price. Apparently you would use new cash to buy VSLR. I can't quarrel with diversification, but keep in mind that yours is money that would not be used to support the SCTY price.

Well, I'm really wondering where I would make the most money. SCTY or SCTY + VSLR. If Vivint starts to move on Solarcity's turf, then that could affect SCTY pricing......so to me they are linked in discussion.

As I expressed in post's #903 & #905, I was holding off on reentering SCTY due to the possibility that some investors wanting to buy VSLR would sell some of their SCTY shares and depress SCTY's price.

You called it Curt. I started buying too early and my SCTY leaps are pretty deep in the red. I did save some cash just in case it went south so I bought some more SCTY leaps today. Hope SCTY can recover a little tomorrow.

Well, I'm really wondering where I would make the most money. SCTY or SCTY + VSLR. If Vivint starts to move on Solarcity's turf, then that could affect SCTY pricing......so to me they are linked in discussion.

Since its founding in 2011, Vivint Solar has been in competition with SolarCity as a solar panel installer. Vivint Solar was a subsidiary of Vivint and later the Blackstone Group. Today Vivint Solar became a publicly owned company whose VSLR shares compete in the stock market with SCTY.

Posted on G+:
Our newest product, MyPower, gives you the choice to pay less for electricity and own your system from day one. The power is truly YOURS.

Find out more about this first-of-its-kind #solar loan at http://bit.ly/1y8r8iV.

Well, this is quite an obvious outcome, SolarCity is the #1 installer in US, and economy of scale is kicking in big time. I bet new SC product got as good if not better margins than PPA offers from SC, while allow more fair direct comparisons with offers from small scale installers who could not realistically compete on price. And on the long run this will ensure even bigger and faster market penetration for cost effective solar.
US-PV-Installer-Market-GTM.png

I think SolarCity Introduces MyPower, a Solar Loan Paid Back by the sun is the link that tang intended to include.

Definitely an interesting loan product by SolarCity. It appears to be a 30-year loan. This is something I haven't heard of existing in the solar industry for residential customers prior to this. SolarCity will definitely charge a premium in terms of total purchase price, but since it'll be amortized over 30 years the monthly payments will be quite low. I'm curious to learn more of the details.

Also an article out about honda adding 50 million to a previous 65 million fund for solarcity to install panels for Honda and Acura owners. I am trying to get some more Jan 2017 140 calls.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Corporate+News/SolarCity+(SCTY),+Honda+Announce+Fund+to+Finance+$50M+of+Solar+Projects/9896179.html

I am very surprised to see this from Honda as they seem to be lagging in electric vehicles the one type of car that could benefit from solar.

Definitely an interesting loan product by SolarCity. It appears to be a 30-year loan. This is something I haven't heard of existing in the solar industry for residential customers prior to this. SolarCity will definitely charge a premium in terms of total purchase price, but since it'll be amortized over 30 years the monthly payments will be quite low. I'm curious to learn more of the details.
Low payment BUT increased total interest over the life of the loan. Why wouldn't one just refinance mortgage and get lower interest rate and interest tax deduction? Seems like a product to prey on the lower financial class

Status
Not open for further replies.