Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity-Tesla $1000 Rebate Check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received an email from a Solar City rep with the title above as subject and the following content:

... I wanted to reach out to you to let you know of a $1000 rebate check SolarCity and Tesla are offering. If you are still interested in solar energy and SolarCity, please call 702.XXX.XXXX or email me and I can advise you on the $1000 rebate check program. ...

I have not got a chance to call him yet. But did anyone else get this email and/or have any idea of what this might be about?

[Update to Mod:] Sorry; forgot to specify California in Title. Please update. Thanks.

Last edited:
It does not sound much different from any of the other "special offers" solar installer use. Some give a Visa gift card, iPad, rebate checks, etc.

With a little negotiating you can usually save far more than $1000 when getting Solar installed. Also, it's always worth checking multiple installers. They varied by more than $5000 for the exact same system when I was first looking a few years ago.

Has anybody ever received this 'Tesla Rebate'? - I went with SolarCity after hearing about the rebate at TMC Connect - it took months to get the system in, due to the SolarCity rep leaving the company and no one following up - anyhow, the system finally went live in early January, I was told the rebate would come in 2 to 3 weeks and I am still waiting. The current rep and customer service people have been unresponsive to my inquiries.

My next step is to email Jerome in the hope he will at least follow through and get someone engaged.

I received it about two months after my install was completed, but also two months before the system went live due to delays at my local utility getting around to swapping out the meter. Now that my system and rebate are complete, I'll post this here for anyone else. This is what SolarCity sent me when I asked about receiving the rebate. You'll need to send your Solarcity rep your RN# (not your VIN). Good luck!

Tesla Partnership
New incentive from SolarCity for Tesla customers: “Solar Fuel”
Date: Jan 7, 2014

SolarCity offers Tesla customers a $1,000 payment when they install a home solar system. Tesla customers will receive a rebate check in the mail from SolarCity and can use the rebate towards home charging.

How It Works:

All leads need to be tagged in SalesForce as “lead source=partner” and “partner=Tesla.” Once a lead is tagged as a Tesla lead, the customer will be eligible to receive a $1K rebate check when they install solar with SolarCity.

Value Proposition to Tesla Customers:

· Zero emissions home charging: Solar power is zero emissions, like the Model S, and allows customers to charge their Tesla with clean energy.
· Low cost of electricity: Solar power costs less than utility power in many markets across the U.S. SolarCity installs the panels for free and charges customers only for electricity.
· Guaranteed electricity rates: SolarCity locks in your electricity rates for years.
· Pay for power not panels: Pay for power by the month– like a utility, only it’s clean energy. You do not have to buy your solar system upfront.

Process:
Customers with a valid Model S RN number can contact SolarCity directly to inquire about the incentive. They will also receive a marketing email from Tesla Motors if they request contact for home charging equipment and are within a SolarCity territory.

Presence on Tesla Website

The charging page on the Tesla website will include a section on SolarCity and link leading to the SolarCity website.