Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge does not see big jump in residential batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using 1.8 kWh per watt*annum, I get that an 8 kW array will produce 14,440 kWh a year and average 39 kWh a day. I certainly agree though with your underlying point.

Yeah... sometimes I forget that my 8kW inverter is actually tied to 10.7kW of panels... and I'm in an ideal location for solar... I get ~60kWh per day pretty regularly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: SageBrush
Yeah... sometimes I forget that my 8kW inverter is actually tied to 10.7kW of panels... and I'm in an ideal location for solar... I get ~60kWh per day pretty regularly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm sure you know your numbers, but I'm still having trouble getting to 60 kWh a day on average. 10,700 at 2 kWh a watt-year is 58 kWh a day.

Long summer days --- sure.
Average .. What is the secret ?

I believe the market will be driven by demand (capacity) charges. Most places don't have 'em for residential now. But they're common for commercial and industrial and there's a solid trend towards them. When you get charged according to your *peak* usage from the grid, the battery makes a lot of sense for peak-shaving.

Worth noting: some early obvious customers for this will include Tesla Superchargers themselves. We may be surprised at how much product gets used in-house.

I have a suspicion that the "solar roof" which Musk is talking about will first appear as a "solar carport" for the Superchargers, cutting Tesla's bills for peak demand. And providing free advertising for the product, too.

Last edited:
Incidentally, CA has put out a bunch of RFPs to get utility scale batteries in place by the end of this year in response to the Aliso Canyon leak. Guess whose battery system is NOT winning the bids? Yep, Tesla is nowhere to be seen in the winning bids.

I am really wondering if Tesla can execute in a competitive environment like battery storage...

Article which contains links to RFP responses, etc.

California Utilities Are Fast-Tracking Battery Projects to Manage Aliso Canyon Shortfall
Did Tesla even bid for this? If they decided not to bid on it, it means nothing other than that Tesla doesn't have enough staff chasing this sort of deal.

Looking to expand my existing SunRun system with an additional 21 panels and they just announced a new battery option a couple of weeks ago. $1,000 upfront and then $7/month.
Battery capacity is 9.7 kWh and they claimed it would run up to 4 circuits for 9-10 hours. Interesting but I already have a generator supporting 6 circuits so not as advantageous for me as it would be for a new customer.
SunRun is really pushing hard in Mass now that Tesla/Solar City have pulled back.

Last edited:
SunRun and Vivint are filling the SolarCity vacuum using essentially the same business/sales model.

Tesla will crush both on price when they fully relaunch their residential solar(and now battery) product(s). No one is doing solar-as-a-service properly......yet.

I've been recently quoted by Tesla Energy, and I'm not so sure on the "crush their price". Right now it is in line with a local installer using the same exact hardware. They were $4.8k higher on the panels, but $3.2k cheaper on the Powerwall. YMMV.