Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge Generation Monitoring - hardwired (ethernet) network connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same screenless inverters and while they do create their own adhoc wifi network to configure the devices they actually do not allow you to join the inverter to a wifi network. Apparently in order to connect to a wifi network you need to get a solaredge zigbee to wifi gateway box. I don’t understand why the inverters don’t support wifi natively as they obviously have wifi hardware since that’s what they use for setup, but I spent quite some time trying to get my inverters to wifi and eventually realized that it’s not possible without additional hardware.
Gotcha. I will inquire about the zigbee to gateway box since running ethernet to the inverters would be a nightmare. Did you ever look at the cost for it?

Last edited:
Gotcha. I will inquire about the zigbee to gateway box since running ethernet to the inverters would be a nightmare. Did you ever look at the cost for it?

I did not. At the time I was trying to connect the inverters to the internet I was not 100% certain that it would do what I wanted, so I really didn’t want to spend extra money on something that might not work. Additionally, in my case, running Ethernet was definitely a pain, but it wasn’t up to nightmare status.

Do let me know what you find about WiFi as I would be very curious to know what the WiFi options are with these inverters. In fact I may even decide to switch to WiFi as I don’t really like the way the cables were run.

I did not. At the time I was trying to connect the inverters to the internet I was not 100% certain that it would do what I wanted, so I really didn’t want to spend extra money on something that might not work. Additionally, in my case, running Ethernet was definitely a pain, but it wasn’t up to nightmare status.

Do let me know what you find about WiFi as I would be very curious to know what the WiFi options are with these inverters. In fact I may even decide to switch to WiFi as I don’t really like the way the cables were run.
Does this look like the right hardware to you?
Solaredge, SE-ZBSLV-B-S1-NA, Set App, Zigbee Wireless Slave Module For Addnl Se Inverter With External Antenna

It looks like that will connect your inverter to ethernet, rather than wifi. The little gateway box plugs into an ethernet cable, then it communicates through zigbee to your inverters. It also comes with the zigbee module for your inverter, which I don’t believe you would need because your inverter already has a zigbee module to talk to the tesla gateway.

So, short version is... as long as you’re OK pluging the gateway into ethernet and getting more parts than you need, then I *think* that this will work for you. I’ve never used it, so I can’t say with 100% certainty though.

It looks like that will connect your inverter to ethernet, rather than wifi. The little gateway box plugs into an ethernet cable, then it communicates through zigbee to your inverters. It also comes with the zigbee module for your inverter, which I don’t believe you would need because your inverter already has a zigbee module to talk to the tesla gateway.

So, short version is... as long as you’re OK pluging the gateway into ethernet and getting more parts than you need, then I *think* that this will work for you. I’ve never used it, so I can’t say with 100% certainty though.
OK, so wrong hardware. I have emailed SolarEdge to advise of the correct item to achieve the goal.

So I know that SolarEdge has a lot of tutorial videos on YouTube. I decided to see if I could find any that talked about setting up wifi on the inverter and I found this great video:

It shows the screenless inverter supporting wifi natively. But then in the description it says that it only applies to Europe, Australia, Africa, and Asia. And there are a few comments from people complaining about the fact that it’s not supported in the US.

So this just confuses me even more as it certainly appears that the inverter *can* connect to wifi, but for some reason they don’t allow it to in the US.

Reactions: LandToSea
Screenshot_20200915-205022.png
Screenshot_20200915-205058.png
Screenshot_20200915-205223.png
So I know that SolarEdge has a lot of tutorial videos on YouTube. I decided to see if I could find any that talked about setting up wifi on the inverter and I found this great video:

It shows the screenless inverter supporting wifi natively. But then in the description it says that it only applies to Europe, Australia, Africa, and Asia. And there are a few comments from people complaining about the fact that it’s not supported in the US.

So this just confuses me even more as it certainly appears that the inverter *can* connect to wifi, but for some reason they don’t allow it to in the US.
I was able to use the SetApp to connect to my inverter but in "View Only" mode since I do not have a login yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200915-205008.png
    Screenshot_20200915-205008.png
    213.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot_20200915-205022.png
    Screenshot_20200915-205022.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20200915-205008.png
    Screenshot_20200915-205008.png
    213.4 KB · Views: 49
You can sign up for an installer account on solaredge’s web site here:

SolarEdge

Note that this won’t give you access to monitor your system, but you can use it to log into setapp and change your inverter settings. To monitor your system you need to have tesla create an account for you. But that account will be monitoring only and won’t allow you to log into setapp.

When I created my installer account I used a different email address than tesla used for my monitoring account to keep things from getting confused, but I used my real name and address. Also when you sign up for the installer account there is a field where they ask for an inverter serial number, but that field is listed as optional. I left that field blank as my inverters were already registered to tesla and I didn’t want to cause any confusion.

I'm seeing both ethernet and zigbee connection statuses working. Tesla gateway (black box, no PW) does not show the 'not connected' light. 'Auto' is selected on the SE inverter for which connection to use. Assuming it's going to favor ethernet and still not allow data to the gateway?

We are still waiting for PTO.

I'm seeing both ethernet and zigbee connection statuses working. Tesla gateway (black box, no PW) does not show the 'not connected' light. 'Auto' is selected on the SE inverter for which connection to use. Assuming it's going to favor ethernet and still not allow data to the gateway?

We are still waiting for PTO.

Yes, that is saying that you have a valid ethernet connection and the zigbee device is connected as well, but even though you have multiple connections it will still only use one of them. And I believe that if it has auto select enabled then ethernet takes priority over zigbee. So even though it is connected to the zigbee gateway it won’t actually use that communication path because ethernet is available.

However, that said, while I believe that this is the case, I am not 100% confident in this answer because I haven’t tried it myself, so it is definitely worth experimenting and seeing if you can still get data in the tesla app through the zigbee gateway as well as data in the solaredge app through the ethernet connection.

Unfortunately, that’s correct. If you have powerwalls then the tesla app and the solaredge app can work together because the tesla app gets it’s data from the big grey electrical panel gateway in a powerwall install. But if you are solar only then it seems to be one or the other. I did speculate about a way that you might be able to get them both working together in this post and the one following it. But I’ve never tested this so I don’t know if it will actually work:

SolarEdge Monitoring w/Tesla Solar Panels (Using GWY10 Zigbee Gateway)

Someone had posted that they installed a Solaredge Home Gateway Zigbee SE1000-ZBGW-K5-NA in place of the little Zigbee box Tesla provides, and he was then able to use both the Tesla app and the SolarEdge app. He did not mention whether he still had energy consumption data on the Tesla app.

I bought a Home Gateway Zigbee on eBay (they sell for less than $100). But can’t experiment with it until after my system is installed (it’s still in the permit stage).

If one loses the energy consumption data from the powerblaster by switching to the SolarEdge app, you could always swap out the powerblaster for a Neurio or Sense device and use its associated app to get that data (the disadvantage bring its a separate app that would give you the data).

Someone had posted that they installed a Solaredge Home Gateway Zigbee SE1000-ZBGW-K5-NA in place of the little Zigbee box Tesla provides, and he was then able to use both the Tesla app and the SolarEdge app. He did not mention whether he still had energy consumption data on the Tesla app.

I bought a Home Gateway Zigbee on eBay (they sell for less than $100). But can’t experiment with it until after my system is installed (it’s still in the permit stage).

If one loses the energy consumption data from the powerblaster by switching to the SolarEdge app, you could always swap out the powerblaster for a Neurio or Sense device and use its associated app to get that data (the disadvantage bring its a separate app that would give you the data).

Definitely keep us updated and let us know how it works. From what I understand about the Tesla zigbee gateway, I don’t believe that removing the Tesla zigbee gateway and replacing it with the solaredge zigbee gateway will still allow the Tesla app to receive solar production data. But obviously Tesla doesn’t really release any information about how this all works, so there is definitely a possibility that I don’t understand what it’s doing and things will work with the solaredge zigbee gateway.

It is also worth noting that with a powerwall installation the solar production is reported by the TEG and not through the zigbee gateway, so if someone has a powerwall install then replacing the Tesla zigbee gateway won’t affect the data that’s fed into the Tesla app.

Yes, this is only an issue for those without powerwalls. If one has powerwalls, its a no brainer to have the powerwall TEG report to Tesla and connect an Ethernet cable to the SolarEdge inverter to have the inverter report to SolarEdge, providing the best of both worlds.

I’m still in the permit review with the County, so it will be some time before the system is installed and the PTO given before I can experiment with the SolarEdge zigbee gateway.

If you are getting powerwalls then the large electrical panel gateway will communicate solar production and power usage data to tesla and make that data available in the tesla app.

If you are just solar only then the inverters will communicate solar production data to tesla through the little black zigbee gateway box. Additionally, for a solar only install the power blaster device installed in your electrical panel will report your power usage data to tesla through the little black zigbee gateway box. With a solar only install there is no other way to get this data to Tesla. The zigbee gateway box connects to an ethernet cable. There is no wifi option for this device, so the only wireless portion of this is the zigbee communications and that tends to be quite reliable, especially if the zigbee gateway is in close proximity to the inverters and the power blaster device.

It seems that at one point Tesla would forward the inverter production data to Solaredge, but they no longer seem to be doing this. You should not expect to get any data in the solaredge app if you are using the zigbee gateway.

The inverter can be connected to ethernet after tesla finishes the install, but you will need to do it yourself (this is not officially supported by tesla because they only support the zigbee gateway). Additionally, when you connect your inverter to ethernet it will no longer report through the zigbee gateway, so if you have a solar only install then you will no longer get solar production data through the tesla app. However, you will get solar production data through the solaredge app. You will need to request a solaredge account from tesla before you will be able to log in to the solaredge app to see it.

Also note that the solaredge app will only show solar production data and not house power usage data. The house power usage data from the power blaster cannot be sent to solaredge.

I have SolarEdge system (nothing Tesla) and Solar only and I get Power Usage on the SolarEdge app.

It's a separate device they installed with the coil clips in the main panel and it's fed back into the inverter. I think it's RS485 or something.
No Zigbee and only hardwire ethernet.

I have SolarEdge system (nothing Tesla) and Solar only and I get Power Usage on the SolarEdge app.

It's a separate device they installed with the coil clips in the main panel and it's fed back into the inverter. I think it's RS485 or something.
No Zigbee and only hardwire ethernet.

Yeah, this is a possibility, but I didn’t mention it for fear of my post getting overly complicated. Tesla definitely doesn’t install this additional meter, so if someone wanted to get power usage detail in their SolarEdge they could purchase and install this RS485 meter and configure their inverter to connect to it, but that’s likely not a DIY project.

Yeah, this is a possibility, but I didn’t mention it for fear of my post getting overly complicated. Tesla definitely doesn’t install this additional meter, so if someone wanted to get power usage detail in their SolarEdge they could purchase and install this RS485 meter and configure their inverter to connect to it, but that’s likely not a DIY project.

It is fairly DIY, the hardest part would be getting them to enable it. Installing it, is pretty trivial. It's an OEM part too, I forget the company that actually makes the monitor. It's very accurate.

Mine is not 3 phase but this is exactly what the monitor looks like and I believe is the same unit and can be configured for 3 phase or split phase.

Three Phase Revenue Grade Meters | SolarEdge

I love having it integrated.

50404066918_70ee8969ef_b_d.jpg

It is fairly DIY, the hardest part would be getting them to enable it. Installing it, is pretty trivial. It's an OEM part too, I forget the company that actually makes the monitor. It's very accurate.

Yeah, I guess the DIY-ness of it depends on how comfortable you are opening the electrical panel and installing the CT’s. I would think that you would also be able to enable it yourself if you register for an installer account with solaredge.

It’s definitely a good potential option for folks who just want to ditch Tesla’s monitoring entirely and worth mentioning.