Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge HD Wave SE10000H Failure - Tesla Repair Time Estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I now have the answer to my own question. 10 weeks or 70 days for a Tesla service tech to show up and replace your inverter. Just arrived at 10:00 AM local time. He said it would take about 90 minutes to switch it out.

After all the speculation of what the replacement inverter would be, it turns out that it is a refurbished unit with the display, just like the original 2019 model.

I'll touch base if anything interesting to report.

With all these SE inverter failures, I might want to sell this extra working SE11400a with display that I have sitting around.

In general, for inverter suppliers, getting a new RMA unit in 30 days is pretty good. So the cost of Tesla service in this case is another 40 days. Not a terrible trade if the inverters die every so often but you saved a few thousand dollars.

Last edited:
Well, I now have the answer to my own question. 10 weeks or 70 days for a Tesla service tech to show up and replace your inverter. Just arrived at 10:00 AM local time. He said it would take about 90 minutes to switch it out.

After all the speculation of what the replacement inverter would be, it turns out that it is a refurbished unit with the display, just like the original 2019 model.

I'll touch base if anything interesting to report.

Any guess how much solar production you lost?

Any guess how much solar production you lost?
If I use July as an example (the last full month of production), it would be about 2,780 kWh that were not produced over 70 days. Our rates are pretty low, so my guess is our electric bill was $280 or so more during that time.

The biggest loss for us was the stress of not having any way to recharge our batteries during peak hurricane season other than Storm Watch, which doesn't help during a power outage. Got pretty lucky this time.

With all these SE inverter failures, I might want to sell this extra working SE11400a with display that I have sitting around.

The older models with the displays seem to have a much higher failure rate than the newer non-display models. I read somewhere that SE had an issue with a capacitor supplier at one point and that was one of the reasons for so many failures at one point. A whole bunch of the display models were affected.

I have two non-display SE 7.6kW inverters for a year and a half now and have had zero issues with them. That may be two short of a time for longevity/reliability, but only time will tell.

Reactions: h2ofun
The older models with the displays seem to have a much higher failure rate than the newer non-display models. I read somewhere that SE had an issue with a capacitor supplier at one point and that was one of the reasons for so many failures at one point. A whole bunch of the display models were affected.

I have two non-display SE 7.6kW inverters for a year and a half now and have had zero issues with them. That may be two short of a time for longevity/reliability, but only time will tell.
I have one of each SE. The installer (Tesla) pointed at the one with the display and stated he'd be back in a year or two to replace it. So, one+ year down, still watching/waiting.

I'm in the same boat. My inverter fail a week ago with the following error (SolarEdge Error 18xB7:Vcap21 surge). Tesla came on-site yesterday and spoke with SolarEdge and we are in the RMA process. They said it could take up to 3 months. I ordered a new Inverter on my own. I know how to do the replacement but what about activation/commissioning of the new unit?

I'm in the same boat. My inverter fail a week ago with the following error (SolarEdge Error 18xB7:Vcap21 surge). Tesla came on-site yesterday and spoke with SolarEdge and we are in the RMA process. They said it could take up to 3 months. I ordered a new Inverter on my own. I know how to do the replacement but what about activation/commissioning of the new unit?
easy to do on new unit.

Do I have to contact Tesla/SolarEdge to do that? I also have 2 Powerwall so I don't know if the Tesla Gateway will identify the new unit and everything go back to normal.
From my experience, if you are talking the inverter, I had my replaced but they ran out of time to turn it on. So I logged in with my installer account, which I guess you need to get one from solaredge which is easy to do, and just set it up by myself. Very easy.