Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge Inverter Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SolarEdge inverter died in December and Tesla is saying that have no ETA on when they can get a replacement. Most unprofessional and useless company I have done business with. Anyone else knows how long it takes to get it replaced?
if you search i know there are a few ppl on these boards who have also gone directly thru solaredge / had inverter diagnosed / replacement sent .. Tesla still needs to come out and replace it but at least that gets process going .. yes tesla does not have good rep for timely service in this case .. at least if you read here

I had this problem in March last year. Tesla doesn't stock spare SE inverters, and I listened in as the Tesla person talked with SolarEdge support on the phone for 30 minutes trying to get them to understand that it was indeed, broken and needed replacing. The Tesla person even swapped in parts from a known working inverter to prove that it wasn't a DC connection fault.

Even once they got RMA approval, it took a few weeks before SolarEdge shipped it to them, then the usual phone tag between Tesla and myself to get the appointment for the re-install, then another appointment to get the missing Zigbee module installed.

I'm sure this factored in heavily into Tesla designing their own inverter.

I had a 7600 fail in late Novemeber last year. My third party installer came out and got on the phone with Solaredge tech support. As soon as he mentioned VCAP21 failure and that the inverter would not go in to production the Solaredge rep said they'll RMA the unit. It took a month to get a new one. In the mean time I installed my spare I got off of ebay. I did a "top swap". It took me 20 minutes.

I went with a local installer her in NJ for the panels, partly for this reason as I expect the inverter to fail regularly with my crappy electrical service. It failed less than three years after install. They replaced it in 2 days under warranty.

if you search i know there are a few ppl on these boards who have also gone directly thru solaredge / had inverter diagnosed / replacement sent .. Tesla still needs to come out and replace it but at least that gets process going .. yes tesla does not have good rep for timely service in this case .. at least if you read here

Here is one such thread, with links to a few others. The OP of this thread should read through those threads:

I had a 7600 fail in late Novemeber last year. My third party installer came out and got on the phone with Solaredge tech support. As soon as he mentioned VCAP21 failure and that the inverter would not go in to production the Solaredge rep said they'll RMA the unit. It took a month to get a new one. In the mean time I installed my spare I got off of ebay. I did a "top swap". It took me 20 minutes.
I'm in the same boat. My inverter fail a week ago with the following error (SolarEdge Error 18xB7:Vcap21 surge). Tesla came on-site yesterday and spoke with SolarEdge and we are in the RMA process. They said it could take up to 3 months. I ordered a new Inverter on my own. I know how to do the replacement but what about activation/commissioning of the new unit? How did you do that?

I'm in the same boat. My inverter fail a week ago with the following error (SolarEdge Error 18xB7:Vcap21 surge). Tesla came on-site yesterday and spoke with SolarEdge and we are in the RMA process. They said it could take up to 3 months. I ordered a new Inverter on my own. I know how to do the replacement but what about activation/commissioning of the new unit? How did you do that?
Sorry to hear that. It took one month from when my third party installer called the RMA in to it arriving at my door step. I actually have a good repour with my installer and I told him I'd install and commission it. He came and took pictures of my work and sent it to my solar company for the warranty claim.

You can reference the below videos for the top swap and commissioning. They're fairly short and informative.

Top swap:

setapp commissioning:

Use the SolarEdge setapp app (I'm assuming you have a none display inverter or will get a none display inverter as a replacement). You have to register as an installer. Android and Apple are slightly different. I know you can register as installer from an Android device, but you might have to go to the SolarEdge website to register as an installer with an Apple device. Follow the on-screen instructions to setapp in to your inverter.

setapp in to your old inverter to get familiar with the menus.

Commissioning should just be as easy as setting up your country which in your case should be US 240v. I think that's what Florida should be set to. You can ask @BrettS as I believe he's in Florida as well and is familiar with using setpp. If you don't have any import/export limits and you're using a cell network to communicate with the normal solaredge app vice zigbee, then the only thing left to do would be to pair your optimizers, which is under "Pairing" on the main menu. Once pairing is complete and grid monitoring finishes, you should hear the infamous start up clicks from the relays and you should be up and running again.

If you need to get more involved or have more questions you can shoot me a PM.

Sorry to hear that. It took one month from when my third party installer called the RMA in to it arriving at my door step. I actually have a good repour with my installer and I told him I'd install and commission it. He came and took pictures of my work and sent it to my solar company for the warranty claim.

You can reference the below videos for the top swap and commissioning. They're fairly short and informative.

Top swap:

setapp commissioning:

Use the SolarEdge setapp app (I'm assuming you have a none display inverter or will get a none display inverter as a replacement). You have to register as an installer. Android and Apple are slightly different. I know you can register as installer from an Android device, but you might have to go to the SolarEdge website to register as an installer with an Apple device. Follow the on-screen instructions to setapp in to your inverter.

setapp in to your old inverter to get familiar with the menus.

Commissioning should just be as easy as setting up your country which in your case should be US 240v. I think that's what Florida should be set to. You can ask @BrettS as I believe he's in Florida as well and is familiar with using setpp. If you don't have any import/export limits and you're using a cell network to communicate with the normal solaredge app vice zigbee, then the only thing left to do would be to pair your optimizers, which is under "Pairing" on the main menu. Once pairing is complete and grid monitoring finishes, you should hear the infamous start up clicks from the relays and you should be up and running again.

If you need to get more involved or have more questions you can shoot me a PM.
I received my Inverter (I bought this myself because the replacement from SolarEdge will be 3 months from now). I followed the instruction to set up and commission. So far so good. The Inverter is producing energy and it is charging the Powerwalls. The only remaining configuration is pairing the ZibBee (black box from Tesla from my Solar Panels) to the Inverter. I can see Solar production from the Tesla App but not from SolarEdge

Reactions: Flick75 and jhn_
I received my Inverter (I bought this myself because the replacement from SolarEdge will be 3 months from now). I followed the instruction to set up and commission. So far so good. The Inverter is producing energy and it is charging the Powerwalls. The only remaining configuration is pairing the ZibBee (black box from Tesla from my Solar Panels) to the Inverter. I can see Solar production from the Tesla App but not from SolarEdge

Good to hear it's worked out for you so far. I'm not sure how Tesla's black box zigbee works compared to SE's zigbee white box, but I imagine they might be similar. On my SE zigbee, it gets repaired with an inverter by hold down a red button until all the lights start flashing. It's then looking for the inverter. The comm's should be automatic with the newer inverter and should be set to zigbee by default. I would look for some sort of reset looking button on the Tesla zigbee black box and hold it down and see if the lights on it start blinking after several seconds.

My inverter died yesterday and calling Tesla was a terrible experience. I am nauseous thinking that this can take 3 months and I have no recourse.
I assume you are voiding the entire warranty by replacing the inverter yourself? What are you doing with the replacement from the RMA? Is it a 10Kw?

When my SolarEdge inverter failed last May at one year old, I called SolarEdge directly instead of the installer (Tesla) and the inverter shipped from them within 48 hours. It took about 5 days to get to the east coast though as they shipped it UPS ground from CA.
SolarEdge refused to ship it to me directly and said I could choose from a list of local installers who could do the work if Tesla was not cooperating. So now I'm stuck because either I have to wait however long Tesla decides to take to process my request or I have to pay another electrician to do the work that should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Don't know how you managed to get it shipped to you. Could you explain what you said? Are you a licensed electrician?

SolarEdge refused to ship it to me directly and said I could choose from a list of local installers who could do the work if Tesla was not cooperating. So now I'm stuck because either I have to wait however long Tesla decides to take to process my request or I have to pay another electrician to do the work that should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Don't know how you managed to get it shipped to you. Could you explain what you said? Are you a licensed electrician?
I honestly don’t remember too many of the details of the conversation because it wasn’t a hassle and was quick. I called SolarEdge support and shared the error code I saw in the inverter log and what the status lights were doing. They said they would look into it and if it was deemed a replacement they asked where should they ship it. I gave them my home address and they never asked anything about who would install it. I got an email about two days later saying they had determined it was eligible for replacement and that it was shipping. I tried to follow-up after that via email for more details on the failure and never got a reply.

Maybe they have changed their procedures, or maybe I got lucky.

Add me to the list of busted inverters. My SE10000 just died today. I was sitting in my den next to the garage (where they are installed) and heard a very loud pop come from the location of the inverters. Sure enough my power output tanked (per app) and I see blinking red and green lights. I chatted online with Tesla and they said I need a field visit which is set up 11 days from now. And we have great sunny weather for the foreseeable future. ugh...

Add me to the list of busted inverters. My SE10000 just died today. I was sitting in my den next to the garage (where they are installed) and heard a very loud pop come from the location of the inverters. Sure enough my power output tanked (per app) and I see blinking red and green lights. I chatted online with Tesla and they said I need a field visit which is set up 11 days from now. And we have great sunny weather for the foreseeable future. ugh...
It will be 1 months next Monday that I've been waiting for my replacement inverter. I managed to get the RMA and tracking number for SolarEdge and the inverter has been sitting in Tesla warehouse for a week now. No acknowledgement that they have it. No call to schedule installation. No way to actually call that warehouse! Just aggravation at every step.

You could use the MySolarEdge app to possibly see the fault code to provide Tesla so they can simply RMA the inverter and get the replacement moving. But Tesla should be able to do that already with their Solar Gateway assuming yours is working. Not sure why they have to physically visit your site. My Solar Gateway stopped working 7 months ago and they never replaced it even though they know it stopped working.

It will be 1 months next Monday that I've been waiting for my replacement inverter. I managed to get the RMA and tracking number for SolarEdge and the inverter has been sitting in Tesla warehouse for a week now. No acknowledgement that they have it. No call to schedule installation. No way to actually call that warehouse! Just aggravation at every step.

You could use the MySolarEdge app to possibly see the fault code to provide Tesla so they can simply RMA the inverter and get the replacement moving. But Tesla should be able to do that already with their Solar Gateway assuming yours is working. Not sure why they have to physically visit your site. My Solar Gateway stopped working 7 months ago and they never replaced it even though they know it stopped working.
From my understanding, Solar Edge requires the person reporting a down inverter to be in front of the inverter.