Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge Monitoring w/Tesla Solar Panels (Using GWY10 Zigbee Gateway)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SolarEdge app stopped getting data sometime around Nov. 23 as well. I rebooted the inverter and had S_OK until data feed to SolarEdge was again turned off on 11/29 at 1:45am. Not sure if it’s Tesla cutting SolarEdge connection or inverter issue, my guess is Tesla. :(
How do you reboot it? Lol I’m too scared I’ll break something. This needs to be done at night too right?

7) Another possibility, which I've avoided exploring because I don't know what will happen on the Tesla side, is that I can link the inverter through my internet using Ethernet. I'm technical enough that I can run a Cat6 cable from my switch, crimp an RJ45 or wire it directly if that's what I need to do) but I'm unsure what will happen to the Tesla monitoring if I do that. I can only have the inverter set to communicate on Zigbee OR LAN, not both. My guess, though obviuosly I don't know this for sure, is that if I disconnect Zigbee and switch the inverter over to LAN communication, the tesla app isn't going to get monitoring data anymore. That's not a HUGE issue, except this is a rental system, so Tesla is probably going to freak out if I do that and they lose connection to the system. I'd like to find a way to leave the GWY10 in place, but remove their restriction for communication, but I don't know how to get into the config settings or reflash the GWY10 to change anything on it. Does anyone have experience with this?

I know that this post is a few months old but I had similar issues so I ran Ethernet to the inverter and the SolarEdge monitoring now works perfectly. I later added a Wattnode Modbus consumption monitor which gives much better information than the Tesla monitoring.

The Tesla monitoring works at the same time, with a couple of quirks. If the inverter restarts after a power outage it sometimes won't automatically reconnect to the Zigbee gateway and you have to go into the installer menu, change the communication mode to Zigbee, wait a minute for it to connect then switch back to Ethernet and all is well again.

• Funny
Reactions: darhall993
I know that this post is a few months old but I had similar issues so I ran Ethernet to the inverter and the SolarEdge monitoring now works perfectly. I later added a Wattnode Modbus consumption monitor which gives much better information than the Tesla monitoring.

The Tesla monitoring works at the same time, with a couple of quirks. If the inverter restarts after a power outage it sometimes won't automatically reconnect to the Zigbee gateway and you have to go into the installer menu, change the communication mode to Zigbee, wait a minute for it to connect then switch back to Ethernet and all is well again.
I assume you connected Ethernet hot (while SolarEdge still on) to get to work.

My SolarEdge monitoring also stopped getting date on 23-November. I'm not going to claim to be an expert on this monitoring stuff (in fact I came onto this thread to try to learn...)but there are some things that I've learned that could be of use to others and maybe save some time for the experts so they can take the info and explain better what we can do.
1) I called SolarEdge today to report that the last data reported on myd monitor window was on 23-Nov. As usual, I explained that I owned the system (I purchased - am NOT leasing). The tech put me on hold while he checked out my "site"; came back asked that I confirm that my Tesla app was showing normal production. I confirmed that the Tesla app was showing normal production. He then told me that they (SolarEdge) had not received any data from Tesla since about mid-day (CA time) on 23-Nov and that there was a known (by SolarEdge) issue; I was not the first to call and report no data.
2) SolarEdge tech told me that they know the Tesla servers are not communicating ANY data to the SolarEdge servers. He said that SolarEdge is trying to communicate with Tesla and work with Tesla to "fix the bug". He would not come out and say that the fault was on Tesla's site (I kind of got the impression from his tone of voice that was the case). He also would not comment on Tesla's willingness to collaborate with SolarEdge to fix the problem - only that SolarEdge had tried everything they could on their end but that they can't do anything without Tesla's willingness to provide the data. IMPORTANT: The SolarEdge tech was in no way throwing blame - just frustration that it's taking so long; I got the distinct impression that they need some cooperation from the other party.
3) I asked if I could, since I owned the system, run another ethernet cable out to the inverter and connect the inverter directly to (a switch) on my network and by doing so provide the data directly to SolarEdge without affecting the ability to continue using the Tesla APP. At this point it got a bit complicated but I'll report the best I can:
a) He said I could connect the inverter directly to the internet (through my network's switch) but he thought that would affect my connection to Tesla (which he said Tesla wouldn't like and might affect operation of the app). I told him that during the installation I ran one ethernet cable out to the installation and that Tesla had connected that cable directly to the Tesla Gateway box. I told him I could run another ethernet cable out to the inverter so the "zigby" wifi box wouldn't be needed. He still wasn't sure if that would keep the app operational.
b) he put me on hold to speak to a supervisor then came back to say that I could do that but it might void my warranty on the inverter as SolarEdge voids warranty if the inverter has been opened by anyone other than an approved installer. He then told me that if I wanted to continue along the path of having my inverter communicate directly to SolarEdge I would have to first create a SolarEdge INSTALLER account (currently have a homeowner account), and then I would have to request of Tesla that they "transfer my site to SolarEdge". He said he didn't know if by doing so, I would loose access to the Tesla app.
c) I ended the conversation by saying that I would wait another week or two to see if SolarEdge and Tesla could work out the "bug" that was causing the data communication break-down. If the system did not come back on-line so that we could all continue to use the SolarEdge Monitor site with our Tesla Energy systems I would then consider whether to put my warranty at risk by opening up the inverter and running an ethernet cable directly to it.
4) Here are some observations that maybe someone with expertise can comment on:
a) When my Tesla installation was done, one of the crew said that they were giving me the black box (I think the one that's referred to as the "zigby") even though it wasn't needed because I could monitor the system with the Tesla app. The installer said I'd need to have that "zigby" connected if I wanted to see the data as the Tesla app showed on my PC (which I'd told them I'd like to do). I connected the "zigby" to my network switch, was told the IP and when I went to that IP I was able to see a screen very similar to the app's "Power Flow" screen. It won't show any more granular data (as by clicking on one of the icons) like the app does but at least I can see the "big picture".
b) He showed me that there was an antenna placed on the inverter that would communicate to the "zigby" wirelessly (don't know if it's by bluetooth or?) and that with the "zigby" connected to my switch the data would would be transferred by internet.
c) But transferred to whom? If the Tesla Gateway is connected by ethernet why would Tesla need the "zigby" connection for the app to work? Is the "zigby" supposed to make the data available to a different set of Tesla servers than those used to feed the app? Is it those "different" Tesla servers that need to communicate to SolarEdge?
d) After speaking with the SolarEdge tech, as an experiment, I unplugged the "zigby". I could still see the "Power Flow" screen on my PC. So now I'm even more confused about what the "zigby" does or is supposed to do.

I know I've not presented any solutions. I'm hoping that some of those folk with expertise can use my observations to provide some further explanations to those of us monitoring this forum string. At least I've reported that SolarEdge is aware of the problem and there are many of us in the same boat. Thanks for reading this very long posting. I will continue to update as I learn anything.

My SolarEdge monitoring also stopped getting date on 23-November. I'm not going to claim to be an expert on this monitoring stuff (in fact I came onto this thread to try to learn...)but there are some things that I've learned that could be of use to others and maybe save some time for the experts so they can take the info and explain better what we can do.
1) I called SolarEdge today to report that the last data reported on myd monitor window was on 23-Nov. As usual, I explained that I owned the system (I purchased - am NOT leasing). The tech put me on hold while he checked out my "site"; came back asked that I confirm that my Tesla app was showing normal production. I confirmed that the Tesla app was showing normal production. He then told me that they (SolarEdge) had not received any data from Tesla since about mid-day (CA time) on 23-Nov and that there was a known (by SolarEdge) issue; I was not the first to call and report no data.
2) SolarEdge tech told me that they know the Tesla servers are not communicating ANY data to the SolarEdge servers. He said that SolarEdge is trying to communicate with Tesla and work with Tesla to "fix the bug". He would not come out and say that the fault was on Tesla's site (I kind of got the impression from his tone of voice that was the case). He also would not comment on Tesla's willingness to collaborate with SolarEdge to fix the problem - only that SolarEdge had tried everything they could on their end but that they can't do anything without Tesla's willingness to provide the data. IMPORTANT: The SolarEdge tech was in no way throwing blame - just frustration that it's taking so long; I got the distinct impression that they need some cooperation from the other party.
3) I asked if I could, since I owned the system, run another ethernet cable out to the inverter and connect the inverter directly to (a switch) on my network and by doing so provide the data directly to SolarEdge without affecting the ability to continue using the Tesla APP. At this point it got a bit complicated but I'll report the best I can:
a) He said I could connect the inverter directly to the internet (through my network's switch) but he thought that would affect my connection to Tesla (which he said Tesla wouldn't like and might affect operation of the app). I told him that during the installation I ran one ethernet cable out to the installation and that Tesla had connected that cable directly to the Tesla Gateway box. I told him I could run another ethernet cable out to the inverter so the "zigby" wifi box wouldn't be needed. He still wasn't sure if that would keep the app operational.
b) he put me on hold to speak to a supervisor then came back to say that I could do that but it might void my warranty on the inverter as SolarEdge voids warranty if the inverter has been opened by anyone other than an approved installer. He then told me that if I wanted to continue along the path of having my inverter communicate directly to SolarEdge I would have to first create a SolarEdge INSTALLER account (currently have a homeowner account), and then I would have to request of Tesla that they "transfer my site to SolarEdge". He said he didn't know if by doing so, I would loose access to the Tesla app.
c) I ended the conversation by saying that I would wait another week or two to see if SolarEdge and Tesla could work out the "bug" that was causing the data communication break-down. If the system did not come back on-line so that we could all continue to use the SolarEdge Monitor site with our Tesla Energy systems I would then consider whether to put my warranty at risk by opening up the inverter and running an ethernet cable directly to it.
4) Here are some observations that maybe someone with expertise can comment on:
a) When my Tesla installation was done, one of the crew said that they were giving me the black box (I think the one that's referred to as the "zigby") even though it wasn't needed because I could monitor the system with the Tesla app. The installer said I'd need to have that "zigby" connected if I wanted to see the data as the Tesla app showed on my PC (which I'd told them I'd like to do). I connected the "zigby" to my network switch, was told the IP and when I went to that IP I was able to see a screen very similar to the app's "Power Flow" screen. It won't show any more granular data (as by clicking on one of the icons) like the app does but at least I can see the "big picture".
b) He showed me that there was an antenna placed on the inverter that would communicate to the "zigby" wirelessly (don't know if it's by bluetooth or?) and that with the "zigby" connected to my switch the data would would be transferred by internet.
c) But transferred to whom? If the Tesla Gateway is connected by ethernet why would Tesla need the "zigby" connection for the app to work? Is the "zigby" supposed to make the data available to a different set of Tesla servers than those used to feed the app? Is it those "different" Tesla servers that need to communicate to SolarEdge?
d) After speaking with the SolarEdge tech, as an experiment, I unplugged the "zigby". I could still see the "Power Flow" screen on my PC. So now I'm even more confused about what the "zigby" does or is supposed to do.

I know I've not presented any solutions. I'm hoping that some of those folk with expertise can use my observations to provide some further explanations to those of us monitoring this forum string. At least I've reported that SolarEdge is aware of the problem and there are many of us in the same boat. Thanks for reading this very long posting. I will continue to update as I learn anything.

There are several ways that the inverter communicates with the servers (if you have SolarEdge inverter and no Powerwall):

1. Through Zigbee interface and Tesla gateway (little black box that receives data from inverter and Neurio) to your router to Tesla and SolarEdge (currently having issues, so only Tesla gets data)

2. Through Ethernet interface to your router to SolarEdge. Only SolarEdge gets production data. Tesla app won’t get solar production data, but it will get energy usage data through Neurio cellular backup connection

Until Tesla starts feeding data to SolarEdge again, there’s no way to have production data on both Tesla and SolarEdge app, as Tesla gateway only gets data from the inverter using Zigbee and sends out data via Ethernet. SolarEdge inverter can only have 1 data output method (either Ethernet or Zigbee).

• Informative
Reactions: morbidz
There are several ways that the inverter communicates with the servers (if you have SolarEdge inverter and no Powerwall):

1. Through Zigbee interface and Tesla gateway (little black box that receives data from inverter and Neurio) to your router to Tesla and SolarEdge (currently having issues, so only Tesla gets data)

2. Through Ethernet interface to your router to SolarEdge. Only SolarEdge gets production data. Tesla app won’t get solar production data, but it will get energy usage data through Neurio cellular backup connection

Until Tesla starts feeding data to SolarEdge again, there’s no way to have production data on both Tesla and SolarEdge app, as Tesla gateway only gets data from the inverter using Zigbee and sends out data via Ethernet. SolarEdge inverter can only have 1 data output method (either Ethernet or Zigbee).
Thanks ray0127: Not sure if it makes any difference, but I do have a Powerwall (as well as SolarEdge 10000 inverter).
Since writing Post#28 I had a look at my system to confirm that there are no communication (CAT) cables directly from either the PowerWall or the Inverter to the Tesla Gateway (sealed) box.
The Tesla Gateway has power cables going into it which allows it to monitor Powerwall, Inverter, and Grid activity. It has a CAT6 going from it to my network switch. As I mentioned in my post, when the system was installed, the Tesla install team supervisor told me that the black "Zigbee" box wasn't needed but he'd give it to me anyway as it was paid for. He did install the antenna onto the inverter but just handed me the box (didn't connect it). I didn't install the "Zigbee" box into my media closet and connect it to my network until weeks later. Nevertheless, without it the phone app worked fine. I only connected the "Zigbee" box because I was told that it needed to be connected so I could look at the PowerFlow on my PC.
When I ran the CAT6 from my media closet to the installation location, I offered to run 2 so there'd be one for the Tesla Gateway (which was the only connection they asked for) and one for the inverter. I was told there was no need for one to the inverter so I didn't run one. Now, and additionally based on what you've said, I'm now even more confused. If as you say the Tesla Gateway communicates with the inverter through my network (with the "Zigbee" providing a wireless transmission from the inverter to my network) why does the system operate if the "Zigbee" box is not connected? And having been given the option of a hard wire ethernet connection to the inverter why would the Tesla installation team not have opted for that as opposed to the less reliable wireless connection (unless as they told me that connection wasn't necessary)?
I agree with you that the best solution would be for Tesla to work out their server communication issue with SolarEdge. I wish Tesla Energy were more open and transparent so that I (and likely others following this thread) could believe that they will fix that issue and that we don't have to find work-arounds to make the SolarEdge monitoring available to us.

Thanks ray0127: Not sure if it makes any difference, but I do have a Powerwall (as well as SolarEdge 10000 inverter).
Since writing Post#28 I had a look at my system to confirm that there are no communication (CAT) cables directly from either the PowerWall or the Inverter to the Tesla Gateway (sealed) box.
The Tesla Gateway has power cables going into it which allows it to monitor Powerwall, Inverter, and Grid activity. It has a CAT6 going from it to my network switch. As I mentioned in my post, when the system was installed, the Tesla install team supervisor told me that the black "Zigbee" box wasn't needed but he'd give it to me anyway as it was paid for. He did install the antenna onto the inverter but just handed me the box (didn't connect it). I didn't install the "Zigbee" box into my media closet and connect it to my network until weeks later. Nevertheless, without it the phone app worked fine. I only connected the "Zigbee" box because I was told that it needed to be connected so I could look at the PowerFlow on my PC.
When I ran the CAT6 from my media closet to the installation location, I offered to run 2 so there'd be one for the Tesla Gateway (which was the only connection they asked for) and one for the inverter. I was told there was no need for one to the inverter so I didn't run one. Now, and additionally based on what you've said, I'm now even more confused. If as you say the Tesla Gateway communicates with the inverter through my network (with the "Zigbee" providing a wireless transmission from the inverter to my network) why does the system operate if the "Zigbee" box is not connected? And having been given the option of a hard wire ethernet connection to the inverter why would the Tesla installation team not have opted for that as opposed to the less reliable wireless connection (unless as they told me that connection wasn't necessary)?
I agree with you that the best solution would be for Tesla to work out their server communication issue with SolarEdge. I wish Tesla Energy were more open and transparent so that I (and likely others following this thread) could believe that they will fix that issue and that we don't have to find work-arounds to make the SolarEdge monitoring available to us.
If you have Powerwall, then you’re lucky, because Powerwall has a separate Tesla Gateway (that’s why the Black box and Zigbee antenna isn’t needed). If you run an Ethernet cable from the inverter directly to your router and change inverter communication to LAN, then you would get data on the SolarEdge app and the Tesla app would continue to get data from the Powerwall Gateway. That’s why I mentioned “if you have SolarEdge inverter and no Powerwall”, because for us without Powerwall, the Black box is the only Gateway we have.

Reactions: agw
Has anyone here tried to reboot their SE inverter after November 23rd to see if it reconnects to the Solar Edge monitoring?
Yes I did this morning and nothing. Still no solar edge data from the 23rd on. I’m about to run an Ethernet and say screw the Tesla black box. I need solar edge data to see panel by panel production otherwise how will I know if my panels are working as expected. I just don’t trust the Tesla app for accurate data.

My SolarEdge Inverter also stopped communicating to Solaredge in late November. Previously it had been using Zigbee via the Tesla/SolarCity Solarguard gateway. After several reboots I guessed that Tesla had blocked the traffic, so I hard-wired CAT5/Ethernet to my inverter and reconfigured it to use that instead of zigbee. It's been rock solid since.

I did leave the zigbee module & antenna in the inverter and interestingly the Solarguard website still says the inverter is online. So, Tesla can still see it to some degree.

Mine is showing:
Last Updated: 11/22/2019 03:08

Yuk. I guess Tesla wants you to use their app since it integrates with the PowerWall. If Tesla would at least gather up the panel performance data and include it in the data download it wouldn't be so bad. They wouldn't need to mess with the GUI.

They may have some motivation to fix the problem. I'd expect SolarEdge would want to see the data for Warranty replacements.

If you have Powerwall, then you’re lucky, because Powerwall has a separate Tesla Gateway (that’s why the Black box and Zigbee antenna isn’t needed). If you run an Ethernet cable from the inverter directly to your router and change inverter communication to LAN, then you would get data on the SolarEdge app and the Tesla app would continue to get data from the Powerwall Gateway. That’s why I mentioned “if you have SolarEdge inverter and no Powerwall”, because for us without Powerwall, the Black box is the only Gateway we have.

ray0127:
That's great information. Gives me an incentive to run that additional ethernet cable to connect the inverter directly. I wonder how the Powerwall's gateway communicates? I didn't see any ethernet cable coming from the Powerwall.
I did notice that the Tesla Gateway box has a device inside with a short (~5") antenna; can't imagine that's anything other than a local communication device that the Tesla field techs connect to with their smart phones.
Also, there are inductive current sensors monitoring all the sources (grid, panels/inverter, Powerwall) and the sensors' cables go into the gateway box. I was assuming (but didn't put it out there since it's just an assumption) that the sealed box in the gateway box is collecting and crunching that real-time current data and outputting it through the ethernet cable to my switch and that's how the Tesla servers get the data. If correct, that would explain why the Zigbee isn't needed and why the installers weren't interested in having a direct ethernet connection.
In any case I will run a cable in a month or two. I recently had spine surgery so not able to crawl under the house, but hoping to be fully recovered in a couple of months and at that time I'll run the cable under the house to the inverter and switch the inverter to LAN mode. I hope that will eliminate the need to (as stated by SolarEdge) to have convince Tesla to transfer my site to SolarEdge.

The Tesla Energy Gateway (TEG, that is paired with the Powerwall) does not communicate with the solar inverter at all. The only solar data it has comes via two current transducers (CTs) that measure the AC current coming from the inverter(s). So it's total AC current from solar (which it uses to compute solar power, instantaneous and accumulated), nothing more (no DC or per-panel data, etc).

In my install they didn't give me a Home Gateway (HG) at all, I wound up buying one off eBay. Within a day or two of plugging it in suddenly both of my Delta Solivia inverters received firmware updates. That was only possible because of the HG that I added. Tesla also called a few days later to look into a performance issue they noticed, not sure if that was data from the TEG or the HG that prompted that call, might have just been a coincidence that it came so quickly after the HG went online, but there certainly hadn't been any noticeable change in the Tesla app data in the days before Tesla called.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva

I also have Ethernet to the SolarEdge inverter and haven’t had any issues with dropping the connection, I’ve been running that way for 18months