Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge Monitoring w/Tesla Solar Panels (Using GWY10 Zigbee Gateway)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case (which may be different from Olly's experience), the zigbee gateway will reconnect to the internet but the inverter will not send any data to it if you have switched the communication server to LAN.

In my setup, with Solarcity zigbee x2e (the white one) and a powerwall, the Tesla app will get data from the TEG (Tesla Energy Gateway), the solaredge portal is now fed directly from the inverter using the LAN connection.
The zigbee gateway is kept on and connected to the internet for the sole purpose to prevent Tesla monitoring detecting the the system is down. It appears that, at this point, that's all they monitor.

I finally got around to trying the Ethernet connection.

I had to go to the communication service menu and change the server to "LAN". Then "S_OK" appeared and solaredge portal data slowly filled in back to 2/16.

Tesla monitoring was cut off until I switched it back to "Zigbee".

So, I guess I could keep the Ethernet wired up, and occasionally switch back to "LAN" and let it upload to SolarEdge.

VERY disappointing that Tesla doesn't care enough to fix this on their end.

I finally got around to trying the Ethernet connection.

I had to go to the communication service menu and change the server to "LAN". Then "S_OK" appeared and solaredge portal data slowly filled in back to 2/16.

Tesla monitoring was cut off until I switched it back to "Zigbee".

So, I guess I could keep the Ethernet wired up, and occasionally switch back to "LAN" and let it upload to SolarEdge.

VERY disappointing that Tesla doesn't care enough to fix this on their end.

You can flip back and forth but if you stay on LAN, you will get some automated emails from Tesla. If you keep the zigbee gateways powered on and connected to the internet it will be one type of email with subject :"Your System Lost Contact With Your Monitoring Device" asking you to restart your inverter; if you completely turn off or disconnect your gateway from the internet, you'll get a slightly different email with subject:"Your Monitoring System is Off" asking you to restart your router.
Honestly I have a feeling these alerts are remnants of the Solarcity servers but at the end of the day, if you have a powerwall, Tesla uses the TEG to feed the tesla app and your inverter can feed Solaredge via Ethernet. I'm perfectly fine with that.

You can flip back and forth but if you stay on LAN, you will get some automated emails from Tesla. If you keep the zigbee gateways powered on and connected to the internet it will be one type of email with subject :"Your System Lost Contact With Your Monitoring Device" asking you to restart your inverter; if you completely turn off or disconnect your gateway from the internet, you'll get a slightly different email with subject:"Your Monitoring System is Off" asking you to restart your router.
Honestly I have a feeling these alerts are remnants of the Solarcity servers but at the end of the day, if you have a powerwall, Tesla uses the TEG to feed the tesla app and your inverter can feed Solaredge via Ethernet. I'm perfectly fine with that.
Did you have to in an IP address, etc. into the SolarEdge for the ethernet connection?

Thanks, that makes sense.

I have SolarEdge wave system with SolarCity gateway. This is only for 26 PV panels. No gateway.
In fiddling around connecting an ethernet cable I messed up the Zigbee config.
If you have the same configuration please let me know the settings:
Device Type:
Protocol:
Device ID:
PAN ID:
Scan Channel:
Load ZB defaults: (obviously this is not to be used)
Profile:

Thanks kindly fellow Tesla-ers

I have SolarEdge wave system with SolarCity gateway. This is only for 26 PV panels. No gateway.
In fiddling around connecting an ethernet cable I messed up the Zigbee config.
If you have the same configuration please let me know the settings:
Device Type:
Protocol:
Device ID:
PAN ID:
Scan Channel:
Load ZB defaults: (obviously this is not to be used)
Profile:

Thanks kindly fellow Tesla-ers

Maybe this will help. I bet solar7 from this post can help you. He knows how to pair a Gateway.
There might also be instructions in the Inverter manual.

IMG_20200309_185558_resized.jpg

IMG_20200309_185608_resized.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200309_185558_resized.jpg
    IMG_20200309_185558_resized.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 94
Thanks for the information. Please look to see the config parameters for PAN ID and Scan Channel.

I'm a bit afraid to mess with those. "PAN ID" may be specific to my unit, and might "Scan Channel" trigger an attempt to re-pair the Zigbee.
Can you even manually set the PAN ID and Channel ?

If you lost the Zigbee connection I think you need to do some kind of "Device Discovery" as described here:

https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/se-zigbee-gateway-for-setapp-installation-guide.pdf
(though this one doesn't look quite the same -> the Tesla Gateway is customized to receive data from both the inverter and home power monitor).

There also a "pair" button on the Gateway. I really don't want to mess too much with mine.

Again, solar7 said it took some "fiddling" to pair the gateway. You might want to PM him....

Maybe I found what you're looking for:

IMG_20200217_181140 cropped resized.jpg

Thanks for your help! Now back online with the Tesla app. It was necessary to power down the modem after correcting the parameters.
Every 2 weeks I'll connect the LAN cable to download the SolarEdge data. By the way, SolarEdge did configure my 26 panels to look like they are placed on my roof. I want to see the impact of shading from one big maple on my neighbors property.

I have been going through the same frustrations as everyone else on this thread and have been going back and forth with Tesla Solar for the past few months. Their last reply is that my system "is online and working very well". How can they determine this if they never a) did a baseline and tested all of the panels and b) pull back the individual panel data? Sadly, Tesla Solar is the bastard child of the Tesla family when it comes to customer service (and no - I am not a Tesla hater, I have two cars and I am a share holder).

I am not sure their intention on cutting off this data. Either they were getting customers calling up reporting too many panel issues or they do not want to address any issues as long as the system is "producing per their estimates". I have asked to be put in contact with upper level management and have just been ignored. I am not sure what the next steps should be, I don't know if something like a petition would get us anywhere or if we want to go down the route of a class action suit. It sucks that the solar side of the brand brings the company negative publicity, but it is clearly something they need to address (customer service as a whole). Had I known about all of the frustrations, I would never have gone with them (it hasn't been worth the free wall charger).

They have an Executive Resolutions Department based out of Las Vegas. Ask to be escalated to one of that department's analysts. I received help from them on another issue. I've not hit them with this one because I've decided when I get a chance I'm going to crawl under the house and run another ethernet cable out to the inverter. Please let us know if you're able to get any response from that department.
BTW, I agree with everything you said. I'm also not a "hater" (though some snowlfake on Reddit accused me of such), being a Solar + Powerwall customer as well as owning a Model 3 and a shareholder. (As well as having referred numerous customers.)

Hi All, I have a solar system installed by Solar City now Tesla. I'm using the SC white box gateway to send the data to Tesla. The question is I want to monitor the system via the solar edge App. Is there any way I can do this? I still need to send the data to Tesla. Thanks.

I was able to request installer level access directly from Solarege. I had to fill out a form and email it back. Got access today and updated my layout. For connectivity I directly connected via ethernet. Will try changing back to Zigbee via Solarcity to see if Tesla "fixed" their forwarding issue.

I believe SolarEdge support can turn that on for you. You can also ask Tesla to give you access, but they might not be as responsive.
Reached out to Tesla and rep was very helpful but she is not sure how to grant the access required and asked me to reach out to SolarEdge and SolarEdge mentioned that Tesla has to do that as they are the installer, again reached back to Tesla with this info so basically I am stuck there and waiting on the response back from Tesla.

for the users who have access to layout do they only see dashboard and layout or they have all options including admin?

Which access will be granted from the below image?
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 5.23.41 PM.png

0d85fd67-6e7f-413d-93ed-7e97fba18f34

Last edited:
I've been having the same issues with my SE data since Feb. It worked for about a week and then POOF, no updates since 2/10/20. When I started reading this thread I was hoping everyone's experiments would end up yielding a simple push-button solution, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems the only successful solution so far is to run an ethernet cable from my router to the SE inverter.

Unfortunately, running ethernet through my walls isn't really feasible. Has anyone tried using powerline ethernet adapters?

Even when I was getting panel-specific data, there was no physical layout. Nobody from SE or Tesla has any record of which panel went where. Once I get the SE data connection up and running, is there an easy way to figure out the physical layout from the data being collected? The best I can think of is to climb onto my roof and and cover each of my 24 panels with a piece of cardboard for 30min one at a time in a specific order. I'm thinking 30min because the SE data seems to be in increments of 15min. Then I could correlate the momentary drop in production with a particular physical location. After that if I can get an installer account I'll create my own physical layout. But I'd rather not do this since it means spending hours on my roof:(