Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge Monitoring w/Tesla Solar Panels (Using GWY10 Zigbee Gateway)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla warranty for an owner owned (not leased) system specifically states “Provider is not providing you with a performance or production guarantee.”

I think they changed that in the last year. I do have a production grantee (from an early 2019 install). I have a friend who installed at the end of 2019 (after the price drop w/ the fixed sized systems) and he does not have a production grantee.

Irregardless, the system would still have a warranty against a hard failure. Tesla would still want the monitoring to check what's happening.

All this is a little moot for me. My Solar Edge monitoring came back on it's own (S_OK is back). I think it was in March, maybe April. Can't tell exactly as I'd also done a temporary Ethernet plug in which uploaded about 6 weeks of data around the same time.

No, going straight to SolarEdge now.
Good thing is that when it connected, most of last month's data showed up too.
Gives me a way out to check on the individual panels.
Can keep it on the Neo GW most of the time to keep Tesla happy too.

Hiw do you switch between the Neo GW and the SolarEdge GW? Is it easier to just plug in an Ethernet cable into the inverter and switch the inverter between the Zigbee interface (for Tesla monitoring) and Ethernet (for SolarEdge monitoring)? There should ge a way to do both at the same time without get Powerwalls.

I think they changed that in the last year. I do have a production grantee (from an early 2019 install). I have a friend who installed at the end of 2019 (after the price drop w/ the fixed sized systems) and he does not have a production grantee.

Irregardless, the system would still have a warranty against a hard failure. Tesla would still want the monitoring to check what's happening.

All this is a little moot for me. My Solar Edge monitoring came back on it's own (S_OK is back). I think it was in March, maybe April. Can't tell exactly as I'd also done a temporary Ethernet plug in which uploaded about 6 weeks of data around the same time.
So you have both Tesla and SolarEdge monitoring at the same time? What did you do? Did you request Tesla to forward the data to SolarEdge? Did you set up an installer account with SolarEdge?

So you have both Tesla and SolarEdge monitoring at the same time? What did you do? Did you request Tesla to forward the data to SolarEdge? Did you set up an installer account with SolarEdge?

Yes, both my Tesla and SolarEdge monitors are simultaneously functional again.

The story goes all they back to Solar City. I griped when they turned off the Solar City monitoring portal and asked customer service to authorize SolarEdge monitoring. I didn't expect anything, but about a month later they approved it and sent me a link to activate my SolarEdge monitoring account.

The per panel monitoring is available, though the system has no concept of the layout. I've been able to look at the data during shade/snow times and identify some groups of panels. I guess I could also crawl around the roof covering panels with a piece of cardboard, but I'm not that motivated (especially since data is only uploaded once every 15 minutes).

Worked for a few months, then late last year "S_OK" disappeared and the SolarEdge data was cut off. I filed a customer service ticket but never heard back (well, 1 message saying you system is operating within parameters). Then sometime around March S_OK came back and now I have SolarEdge data again (I'd guess whatever happened it was on the Tesla server side).

At this point I knock wood and keep my head down.

Actually, I did have one other thought about doing this in an automated way. Theoretically you could connect the SolarEdge inverters to an ethernet cable and connect that cable to a small ethernet hub that was then connected to your router. You could put the hub on a WiFi controlled outlet or switch and then program it to turn on the hub for, say, an hour a day. Theoretically, the inverters would stay connected to the little black box gateway most of the time, but for an hour a day while the hub was turned on the inverters would have their internet connection and be able to upload that day’s data to SolarEdge. Then the hub would turn off again and the inverters would start reporting back to Tesla.

This is all speculation and I have no idea if or how well this would actually work, but from what I understand about how the SolarEdge inverters connect I believe that it would work. You might even be able to program the hub to come on several times a day to keep the SolarEdge site more up to date.

If someone could test this out it would be great. It’s going to be some time before my system is installed (still pending HOA approval) but I’ve been following this thread intently. Your proposal would be a great way to get Tesla monitoring and SolarEdge monitoring, even if not real-time. I am just interested in monitoring the general health of each panel.

If you will connect an Ethernet cable directly to the SolarEdge inverter, it is not necessary to request from Tesla that they grant access to SolarEdge, as the data would be going directly from the inverter(s) to SolarEdge, bypassing Tesla monitoring. All you need to do is request an installer access account from SolarEdge.

Been a minute since I posted, I have never once lost connection since running the hardwire Ethernet cord. Occasionally I get an email from Tesla saying lost connection but that only
Happens every few weeks. Never called them to verify if they are still getting my data. Lol

My install (PV and PW) was completed last Tue, and I believe that the city inspector is coming tomorrow (based on their website), but have not heard from Tesla. Anyway, have been running the system off-grid over the weekend during the day.

My installer connected to TEG, PW and Inverter from his phone and updated all the firmware. As my Gateway (small black flat box) was complaining that it was not getting a signal, I started looking at the inverter (SE7600H). Found a YouTube video about installing the Zigbee (already installed) and using the mySolarEdge app to connect to the inverter. The app tried to connect to the inverters network and it could not find it. I tried to run a scanner, and I cannot find it. I wonder if he disabled it after updating, or if he connected to the inverter through the TEG connection. Thoughts?

My install (PV and PW) was completed last Tue, and I believe that the city inspector is coming tomorrow (based on their website), but have not heard from Tesla. Anyway, have been running the system off-grid over the weekend during the day.

My installer connected to TEG, PW and Inverter from his phone and updated all the firmware. As my Gateway (small black flat box) was complaining that it was not getting a signal, I started looking at the inverter (SE7600H). Found a YouTube video about installing the Zigbee (already installed) and using the mySolarEdge app to connect to the inverter. The app tried to connect to the inverters network and it could not find it. I tried to run a scanner, and I cannot find it. I wonder if he disabled it after updating, or if he connected to the inverter through the TEG connection. Thoughts?

Did you move the inverter’s power switch to the ‘P’ position for a few seconds before you tried to connect? The inverter only turns on it’s WiFi network for a short time when you move the switch like that. It doesn’t have an active WiFi network all the time.

Did you move the inverter’s power switch to the ‘P’ position for a few seconds before you tried to connect? The inverter only turns on it’s WiFi network for a short time when you move the switch like that. It doesn’t have an active WiFi network all the time.

I did when I was trying to connect with the app. But, did not try that while scanning the nearby networks. I have turned off everything as the inspector is due between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. But, nothing from Tesla, so I am not sure if someone will be here to put the stickers, etc. I will test the above after they leave.

Sorry for the newb question but do I run an ethernet to EACH inverter in order to get data for both? And in doing so, will I get per-panel data even though I dont have optimizers? Lastly, is there a way to run the ethernet that I can still close the cover because afaictl I dont see any openings.

Sorry for the newb question but do I run an ethernet to EACH inverter in order to get data for both?

You have two options. You can run ethernet to each inverter, or you can run ethernet to one inverter and then connect the two inverters together through RS-485 and then configure the RS-485 settings in the inverters. Each inverter reports it’s own data to SolarEdge independently, so they both need to have a connection, but it’s possible for them to share an ethernet connection when they are connected to each other through RS-485.

And in doing so, will I get per-panel data even though I dont have optimizers?

Are you sure you don’t have optimizers? I don’t believe that Tesla (or anyone else, for that matter) will do a SolarEdge install without optimizers. However, if you don’t have optimizers then you won’t get panel level data because that is provided to the inverters by the optimizers.

Lastly, is there a way to run the ethernet that I can still close the cover because afaictl I dont see any openings.

Yes, the ethernet cable should run down from the top section to the bottom section, then out the bottom of the inverter through one of the black cable glands. There is one that has three holes through the rubber gland (they may have white plugs in them currently). You can remove the rubber and one of the holes has a slit so you can pass the ethernet cable through the opening in the rubber. Then reassemble the gland with the cable running though it. If your inverter has a zigbee antenna it would be the same gland where the antenna wire exits the inverter.

Last edited:
Are you sure you don’t have optimizers? I don’t believe that Tesla (or anyone else, for that matter) will do a SolarEdge install without optimizers. However, if you don’t have optimizers then you won’t get panel level data because that is provided to the inverters by the optimizers.

I'm glad you asked that. I am not sure that I dont have them, I made an assumption but I will find out.

I followed this thread's instructions to add my inverters and now I'm getting Solaredge monitoring via website and iOS app and love it! However, I'm also still getting Tesla's app monitoring and it seems to work accurately. Did Tesla turn on the ability of the inverter to send to both?

I followed this thread's instructions to add my inverters and now I'm getting Solaredge monitoring via website and iOS app and love it! However, I'm also still getting Tesla's app monitoring and it seems to work accurately. Did Tesla turn on the ability of the inverter to send to both?

Do you also have powerwalls? If you have powerwalls the data for the tesla app comes from the large electrical box gateway and not the little black zigbee gateway.

I do not have Powerwalls. Just solar.

Interesting, so when you say that you followed the instructions on this thread, exactly what did you do? There are a lot of different instructions in different parts. Did you connect your inverters to ethernet or just obtain the solaredge monitoring account?

With a solar only install the only way the Tesla app can get data is through the little black zigbee gateway, so given that you are still getting data in the Tesla app I assume that is still connected, correct? If that is still connected and you didn’t connect the inverters to ethernet, then it seems like Tesla is sending the data to SolarEdge again.

If that is still connected and you also connected the inverters to ethernet, then apparently they can both be active at the same time. I had thought that only one or the other would work.

If the little black zigbee gateway is gone, then I have absolutely no idea how tesla is getting the data.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve