Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge Monitoring w/Tesla Solar Panels (Using GWY10 Zigbee Gateway)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
05DBF066-FAC7-4778-AC4C-68D0240AED7C.jpeg
Worked instantly, no more solar edge issues!

Reactions: morbidz
View attachment 485902 Worked instantly, no more solar edge issues!

Thanks. Do you also have a PowerWall? How is the Tesla app doing? Getting updates?

This is all so dumb. Tesla is sitting on an inferior monitoring platform which is just begging us to look for work-a-rounds.

And a general question. An Ethernet cable will not do any good unless Tesla has authorized the SolarEdge monitoring (for a friend just getting his system turned on).

Thanks. Do you also have a PowerWall? How is the Tesla app doing? Getting updates?

This is all so dumb. Tesla is sitting on an inferior monitoring platform which is just begging us to look for work-a-rounds.

And a general question. An Ethernet cable will not do any good unless Tesla has authorized the SolarEdge monitoring (for a friend just getting his system turned on).
Yes I have a PW as well. Agreed Tesla should just be sending data to them but they aren’t and I want access to that data. No interruptions in the Tesla app and now finally the solar edge app has data. Tesla also has to give you solar edge access too.

I'm also having the back-and-force between Tesla and SolarEdge now.

Does the missing "S_OK" on Solaredge inverter also due to this? trying to get this confirmed but seems none of Tesla/Solaredge has a straight answer.

On the solar edge inverter LCD screen.

I'm seeing:

Vac[V] Vdc[V] PAC[w]
240.9 383.8 1301.0
P_OK: 026/026
ON

But not like:

Vac[V] Vdc[V] PAC[w]
240.9 383.8 1301.0
P_OK: 026/026 <S_OK>
ON

Is that (missing S_OK) the same as all others who got impacted due to the communication issue between Tesla/SE?

Thanks a bunch!

I'm also having the back-and-force between Tesla and SolarEdge now.

Does the missing "S_OK" on Solaredge inverter also due to this? trying to get this confirmed but seems none of Tesla/Solaredge has a straight answer.

On the solar edge inverter LCD screen.

I'm seeing:

Vac[V] Vdc[V] PAC[w]
240.9 383.8 1301.0
P_OK: 026/026
ON

But not like:

Vac[V] Vdc[V] PAC[w]
240.9 383.8 1301.0
P_OK: 026/026 <S_OK>
ON

Is that (missing S_OK) the same as all others who got impacted due to the communication issue between Tesla/SE?

Thanks a bunch!
If you are missing the (S_OK) that means your inverter isn’t communicating with solar edge and sending the data. This is 1000% a Tesla issue but they won’t acknowledge it.

If you are missing the (S_OK) that means your inverter isn’t communicating with solar edge and sending the data. This is 1000% a Tesla issue but they won’t acknowledge it.

Yea, I'm missing the S_OK too. Interesting. I was assuming the data went to the Tesla server then was forwarded to Solar Edge. But if that was the case the inverter wouldn't know if the data was being forwarded.

So, does the data go direct to SolarEdge or still through the Tesla server as some kind of portal?

I have one more observation... Back in early November around the 7th and still on the 18, I noticed very laggy data on the Tesla app power flow chart. I turn on a 1250 watt space heater and don't see any change in the app for around 40 minutes. While it still seems to have some lag, it's much less now (I also think the app display may be averaging the power usage over some time interval - my Sense monitor seems way more accurate).

I wonder if what they were messing with then resulted in broken Solar Edge monitoring.

I do have an open "case" with SolarEdge, but it hasn't been touched since I sent them the inverter serial number (a couple of weeks ago).

Being a newbee so please excuse if the question seems too naive :)

Just wondering if the missing S_OK on solar edge inverter is due to the issue of this thread (SolarEdge Monitoring became unavailable because Tesla Solar cut off the communication), and everyone who doesn't retrofit with a cat6 cable are all missing the S_OK on their SE inverter LCD?

Reactions: Chancellor32
Yea, I'm missing the S_OK too. Interesting. I was assuming the data went to the Tesla server then was forwarded to Solar Edge. But if that was the case the inverter wouldn't know if the data was being forwarded.

So, does the data go direct to SolarEdge or still through the Tesla server as some kind of portal?

I have one more observation... Back in early November around the 7th and still on the 18, I noticed very laggy data on the Tesla app power flow chart. I turn on a 1250 watt space heater and don't see any change in the app for around 40 minutes. While it still seems to have some lag, it's much less now (I also think the app display may be averaging the power usage over some time interval - my Sense monitor seems way more accurate).

I wonder if what they were messing with then resulted in broken Solar Edge monitoring.

I've been contacting with Tesla and Solaredge for the past few days. But it appears that Solaredge has already known the issue and told me that off record that they believe that Tesla is cutting off the monitoring data feed. They have also mentioned that Tesla properly will not fix/correct it to encourage us to use Tesla app only (so you won't know the per panel production nor would bother Tesla if you saw one penal not working). However, at that time I didn't notice the missing S_OK until today Tesla solar was on the phone with me to guide me through a repairing process. They told me S_OK should be there but I have been telling them that it's not there and they just ignored my questions in the email for multiple times and said that everything is good on their end and closed the case

Yeah so to summarize everything and my findings.
1. without the S_OK solar edge won’t receive the data for the app.
2. Tesla installs their zigbee connection which feeds the data to solar edge (I’m assuming through their own servers). It is this reason that Solar edge hasn’t been getting my data.
3. When I bypassed the zigbee and did a Ethernet connection the S_OK showed up within seconds and solar edge has been getting my data since.

My advice to everyone is that if you want accurate, panel per panel data then you should do the same and install an Ethernet connection and bypass Tesla’s zigbee connection. I love Tesla but they don’t seem to care that solar edge isn’t receiving the data and that’s a problem.

I'd do that, Chancellor32, but I don't want to void my warranty by cutting off data to Tesla. My understanding is that if you connect the data and do NOT have a powerwall to send data, then this may cut off data flow Tesla... And void out the warranty.

Especially the production guarantee which they will blow off if you're not sending any data.

I'd do that, Chancellor32, but I don't want to void my warranty by cutting off data to Tesla. My understanding is that if you connect the data and do NOT have a powerwall to send data, then this may cut off data flow Tesla... And void out the warranty.

Especially the production guarantee which they will blow off if you're not sending any data.
SolarEdge inverter can store panel production data for a few weeks. Best solution now is to run an Ethernet cable to the inverter and connect every 2 weeks after sunset, so that inverter uploads data to SolarEdge server and switch back to Zigbee Tesla gateway (for us that don’t have Powerwall). SolarEdge app won’t have real time data, but you don’t really need that anyway. You can continue to use Tesla app for real time monitoring.

Ahh I have a PW so Tesla is still getting my data. Maybe as suggested above, connect every two weeks or so.

Thanks for the update, Chancellor32.
Sigh, maybe I'll play around with the Ethernet over the holiday break.

Like jakestgermain, I'm disappointed. I guess we were never promised solaredge monitoring to begin with, but to take it away seems even worse.

One of my friends just had solar installed under the new pricing plan (wow, was like $2.50/watt). They installed a solaredge system (I asked specifically for solaredge when my system was quoted). If that's now the standard system it would sure be nice to fully support the monitoring it provides.

A side note: My friend has the "S_OK" showing on his inverter (mine still does not). So, if this really indicates a connection to the solaredge server I suppose that means the problem we're having is not effecting everyone.

I guess I should ask him what firmware he's running.