Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge WaveHD inverter error “18xB5 Vcap11 Surge” meaning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So about five months in since install on a bright sunny morning and my solar stopped producing. ☹️ Quick check connected locally to the SolarEdge WaveHD inverter shows error “18xB5 Vcap11 Surge” and the inverter seems to rebooting itself every few minutes. Manual reboot didn’t change anything either. I cannot find any specifics online or in SolarEdge’s troubleshooting info on this code.

Only other thing in the log is a different error from about a week and a half ago “18x1C V-L1 Min1”. Also can’t find anything online about that one either. But it didn’t affect production since things only stopped today.

Any thoughts on what these errors may mean?

So about five months in since install on a bright sunny morning and my solar stopped producing. ☹️ Quick check connected locally to the SolarEdge WaveHD inverter shows error “18xB5 Vcap11 Surge” and the inverter seems to rebooting itself every few minutes. Manual reboot didn’t change anything either. I cannot find any specifics online or in SolarEdge’s troubleshooting info on this code.

Only other thing in the log is a different error from about a week and a half ago “18x1C V-L1 Min1”. Also can’t find anything online about that one either. But it didn’t affect production since things only stopped today.

Any thoughts on what these errors may mean?
Have you contacted your installer for warranty work?

And/or call SE support and have them log into your inverter and tell you whats wrong.

Yeah, the first part of the error code 18xB5 is associated with hardware failures in a couple places I’ve found. Reason I was asking was because the SolarEdge support while helpful, didn’t say much other than they would pass it on to engineering. And then today just got an email with RMA and estimated 5 days until shipped.

Now I just have to get Tesla out here to swap it.

Yeah, the first part of the error code 18xB5 is associated with hardware failures in a couple places I’ve found. Reason I was asking was because the SolarEdge support while helpful, didn’t say much other than they would pass it on to engineering. And then today just got an email with RMA and estimated 5 days until shipped.

Now I just have to get Tesla out here to swap it.
IMO, thats amazing support, how could he be any better. Yep, getting the unit installed took me a while since I was not going to do it.

IMO, thats amazing support, how could he be any better. Yep, getting the unit installed took me a while since I was not going to do it.

Maybe I’m misreading your post, but I think you have misread mine throughout this thread. Really not in a mood to get in a typed jousting match. But as I said from the beginning above, no problems with support and was in contact before posting here. Just posting here to share my experience in case others have had the same experience or have insight to share.

Maybe I’m misreading your post, but I think you have misread mine throughout this thread. Really not in a mood to get in a typed jousting match. But as I said from the beginning above, no problems with support and was in contact before posting here. Just posting here to share my experience in case others have had the same experience or have insight to share.
My only reason to post is rather than having folks guess, just going to support was the fastest way I got my issue resolved with my SE inverter started to fail once in a while. And this was sharing my experience with you

So update on the situation. Got an email that the RMA inverter from SolarEdge shipped today. UPS has it coming from California to the east coast and it will take 6 days via ground I guess.

Since I still hadn’t heard back from Tesla today four days after opening a ticket, I called and told them that the inverter was on the way. They said that scheduling would call me within 3 business days to gets this scheduled… we’ll see!

Summary:
Inverter failed Monday 5/3
Called SolarEdge first Monday 5/3 hoping to troubleshoot over the phone but they said engineering would look at it remotely and get back to me
Called Tesla second and opened a ticket, was told someone would get back to me in three business days
Tuesday 5/4 email from SolarEdge that an RMA was requested, then another it was approved
Tuesday 5/4 requested more info on the error from SolarEdge via email to the case file, still no response
Thursday 5/6 three business days later still no response to my first ticket with Tesla
Thursday 5/6 New inverter ships from SolarEdge

Not sure if I should keep updating this thread as it might be a bunch of posts about nothing.

But I got an email from Tesla Energy Support today, automated, saying that something has been detected wrong with my system and have instructions on how to submit a ticket with the app and I will get a reply within three business days… Gee thanks Tesla, did that 6 days ago and still haven’t heard back.

Hopefully the ticket I opened over the phone won’t have the same fate.

Three days was up from the last call to support, so called again. This time the person on the phone actually gave me the number of the scheduling department and transferred me without even asking. She also notes the details in the case as I repeated them to her because she only saw ‘failed inverter’ in the case file and nothing that I told the other support person about the inverter already on its way from SolarEdge.

After about an hour wait on hold after being transferred to scheduling someone answered. Again very helpful, but also didn’t see any notes about the inverter already in its ways. Maybe first line support doesn’t believe what people tell them and just try to get the very basics to schedule a tech to come onsite to do a real assessment?

Either way, managed to sound enough like I knew what I was talking about so the scheduler would believe that the inverter is on its way. She offered a date only two days from now! Unfortunately the inverter is scheduled to be delivered that day and it would be just bad luck that the installer got here before the inverter that day.

So the next available date was Monday the 17th. Hopefully this all comes together. If it does get back up and running that day, it would have been a two week outage. I will feel lucky if I can get away with that. But it required a lot of steps on my part to manage the service. I’ll post back what happens next, hopefully resolution.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
Not sure if I should keep updating this thread as it might be a bunch of posts about nothing.

But I got an email from Tesla Energy Support today, automated, saying that something has been detected wrong with my system and have instructions on how to submit a ticket with the app and I will get a reply within three business days… Gee thanks Tesla, did that 6 days ago and still haven’t heard back.

Hopefully the ticket I opened over the phone won’t have the same fate.

(moderator note: If you still want to share, I am sure many would thank you for detailing your experience with this, including me, in my moderator role. If you dont want to continue to share thats fine too, but I am sure this error code or something like it will appear for others so any information would be helpful)

(moderator note: If you still want to share, I am sure many would thank you for detailing your experience with this, including me, in my moderator role. If you dont want to continue to share thats fine too, but I am sure this error code or something like it will appear for others so any information would be helpful)
i agree there are prob many like myself learning from your experience since many of us have same or similar inverter / and inverters seem to be a relative weak link in many systems

I would expect this to be replaced under warranty (parts and labor). I cant see why it wouldnt be, unless somehow its determined that the homeowner did something to cause the failure, which it doesnt sound like.

Its just a matter of "when" / "how long will it take" in my opinion.