Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge WaveHD inverter error “18xB5 Vcap11 Surge” meaning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they only did micro inverters instead then we wouldn't have to worry about the entire system ever going down.
We’ll yes, but then there are other trade-offs. The installers we spoke to, the vast majority including Tesla recommended SolarEdge with optimizers for our east-west facing roof with some early morning and late afternoon shading at lower roof elevations, including installers than offered other equipment like microinverters. Only one recommend Enphase with microinverters, and they only did Enphase installs.

If I really wanted to put redundancy into the system I could have split the panels into two independent systems with two inverters. But then might not be using the inverters efficiently enough…

We’ll yes, but then there are other trade-offs. The installers we spoke to, the vast majority including Tesla recommended SolarEdge with optimizers for our east-west facing roof with some early morning and late afternoon shading at lower roof elevations, including installers than offered other equipment like microinverters. Only one recommend Enphase with microinverters, and they only did Enphase installs.

If I really wanted to put redundancy into the system I could have split the panels into two independent systems with two inverters. But then might not be using the inverters efficiently enough…

The only trade-off I'm aware of is cost. You said there were trade-offs but you didn't list any.

The only trade-off I'm aware of is cost. You said there were trade-offs but you didn't list any.
Been debated on these forums and the rest of the internet as much as anything else. Search and you get plenty of threads like these.

My point wasn’t to debate one vs the other, but rather to say all situations are different and all tools have their place, but no one tool is right for all places.

I have big inverters on small strings. No big deal

All things being equal, most installers will recommend the easier to service option which is not necessarily in the best interest of customers. My impressions is that many installers don't like microinverters because they have get on the roof and remove panels for replacement which they don't have to to do for string inverters even though a string inverter failure is a much bigger pain/impact for the customers compared to one or several microinverter failures.

Also, now that Tesla is only offering their inverter and it does not include optimizers or panel level monitoring, I would not be a Tesla customer if I were ordering today. Optimizers was the compromise I was willing to make over not having micro inverters.

All things being equal, most installers will recommend the easier to service option which is not necessarily in the best interest of customers. My impressions is that many installers don't like microinverters because they have get on the roof and remove panels for replacement which they don't have to to do for string inverters even though a string inverter failure is a much bigger pain/impact for the customers compared to one or several microinverter failures.

Also, now that Tesla is only offering their inverter and it does not include optimizers or panel level monitoring, I would not be a Tesla customer if I were ordering today. Optimizers was the compromise I was willing to make over not having micro inverters.
I agree.

I have to say that I like the panel level reporting of microinverters, the fact that any failure is a small portion of the total, and, most of all, the 25 year Enphase warranty. I hate having to have things fixed by someone else, on their schedule, with their priorities. We also have shade issues that all but forced microinverters, but that is a different issue.

All the best,

BG

I'm fine with the Tesla solution, or optimizers if the situation calls for it.
No thanks to micro-inverter solutions like Enphase. I'm not a fan of AC wiring, and If possible I'll avoid proprietary solutions.

It was not accidental that Enphase was headed towards BK. Module level RS regulations saved their bacon ... for awhile.

Update

New inverter from the RMA arrived today directly from SolarEdge. Tesla is scheduled to be out on Monday. 07AA42B0-30EE-4D79-9650-8B29A77683B2.jpeg

Update

Tesla came out today on schedule and replaced the inverter. The tech that came out had to go through all of Tesla’s troubleshooting of the failed inverter first though, even though we had the replacement on hand. Part of their process I guess. Nothing tried including flashing to the latest SolarEdge firmware was able to get the inverter to do its thing.

New inverter is up an running. Everything looks good in the Tesla app. Even though it was only 15 days without production, it seems a lot longer. It did cost about $175 per week of downtime I calculated from cost of grid electricity purchased and lost incentives and credits.

I do need to setup the SolarEdge app again though it seems. I asked about its Zigbee connection the inverter uses connecting through the little black box Tesla gave us at install. The tech said he would swap the card from the old inverter to the new inverter then change the serial in his online admin interface. But it still looks like my SolarEdge app is looking for the old inverter even though the black Tesla box seems happy and not connection error lights.

Reactions: Electrph
Update

Tesla came out today on schedule and replaced the inverter. The tech that came out had to go through all of Tesla’s troubleshooting of the failed inverter first though, even though we had the replacement on hand. Part of their process I guess. Nothing tried including flashing to the latest SolarEdge firmware was able to get the inverter to do its thing.

New inverter is up an running. Everything looks good in the Tesla app. Even though it was only 15 days without production, it seems a lot longer. It did cost about $175 per week of downtime I calculated from cost of grid electricity purchased and lost incentives and credits.

I do need to setup the SolarEdge app again though it seems. I asked about its Zigbee connection the inverter uses connecting through the little black box Tesla gave us at install. The tech said he would swap the card from the old inverter to the new inverter then change the serial in his online admin interface. But it still looks like my SolarEdge app is looking for the old inverter even though the black Tesla box seems happy and not connection error lights.

Did it retain your panel layout?

Update

One has to get the new inverter Serial number updated in the layout to work. He/she should do this

One has to get the new inverter Serial number updated in the layout to work. He/she should do this

As a matter of policy, Tesla doesn't do customer layouts. I did get them to do it after bugging them a dozen times and escalating and escalating. When they did it, they made it clear this was a one time thing and they don't normally do it:

"Hi Alan,
This has been updated. They did make an acceptation because you provided the information needed. But we do not typically update the panel layout nor do we support
the app for our monitoring purposes."

My only reason to post is rather than having folks guess, just going to support was the fastest way I got my issue resolved with my SE inverter started to fail once in a while. And this was sharing my experience with you
Maybe he didn't understand your point, but I did :) I have an SE inverter that has worked perfectly for 5 years, yet recently had an optimizer fail. I called SE support and after looking at my system to verify that was the issue, they sent out a new one over night FedEx and I had it installed and working the next day. Great support and that is the first place I call in the future.

Reactions: h2ofun