Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass powerwalls not for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While the net cost for adding solar with the Solar Roof may be $36K, that will get you 12KW of conventional panels BEFORE the credit.

Also, you have to compare the generator with Powerwalls - same net purpose of emergency backup. You may pay 3x the price for Powerwalls, but they will also return you some $$ in normal use, as well as providing emergency backup. Generator has the advantage for long-term use in the dead of winter; otherwise battery storage is much more flexible.

I don't have to deal with time-of-use pricing in WA, so I'm not familiar with the intricacies of timing recharging, etc. Though as Jay pointed out above, they could make a BIG difference when pricing is predatory/punitive in high-use times...
I love Time of Use pricing since it allows me to sell my solar energy back to the grid at more than double what I pay for any grid usage. Thanks to our Powerwalls, all of our grid usage is at the cheapest off-peak rate. Unfortunately, my utility is going to reduce peak periods from year-round to just four months a year. :(

What wasn't mentioned is the US solar tax credit.

It was 30% last year - which was the only way we could justify the purchase of our solar/PW system, which still had a very long time to achieve break even, even with the tax credit.

This year, the credit is still 26%. In the example above, the $63K cost of a new solar roof would be $46.6K after the tax credit. A normal roof would cost $10K - so the net cost of adding solar into the roof would be $36.6K.

If the owner factors in backup power - the cost of a new standard roof and backup generator would be $18K, reducing the net cost for adding solar down to $28.6K.

Assuming the electricity cost savings is $2K/year - that would be around a 14 year break even, and likely better since electric rates are likely to increase at least at the rate of inflation, if not more over that 14 year period.

We just spent $88K on our system, to provide much of our electricity and backup power during hurricanes (in TX). Even with the 30% tax credit, it will take many years to break even, and we're fine with that.

Another unexpected side effect of installing the PowerWalls - it's easy to see how much power we are using - and the impact of those devices that are the largest energy consumers. After turning on our system, we've already found ways to reduce our energy consumption by changing out the frequently used lights to LED and optimizing some devices (like the waterfall pump for our pool that was using 2.5KW of power!).

And while it's not a large savings - at least in TX, when the house is appraised for taxes, the value of the solar panels and PowerWalls is excluded from property taxes...
Your calculations don't include the return on investment of the total in a secure stock or bond (even). That stretches it out a considerabll longer amount of time.
And resale value is still a big mystery. In 10 years the Powerwall could be a liability, and the advancement inj solar technology make the "OLD" solarglass laughable/liability.

yes
There is also the value added by installed solar to the selling price of your home when you sell it. Varies greatly depending on location though. Here's How Much Adding Solar Panels Will Boost Your Home's Value
and no.... Solarglass is not proven in the market place. Those investing in it are bravely or stupidly gambling on the future. There is no telling. The powerwalls are guaranteed for 10 years, then what...
No matter what in ten years this will be very old technology in the Solar Power arena. And it's worth is likely to be much less than ...

yes

and no.... Solarglass is not proven in the market place. Those investing in it are bravely or stupidly gambling on the future. There is no telling. The powerwalls are guaranteed for 10 years, then what...
No matter what in ten years this will be very old technology in the Solar Power arena. And it's worth is likely to be much less than ...
Looking at your posts you don't seem to like anything Tesla has done in the brief time you have been here.

Moderator note: Moved two posts to snippiness. Debate and criticism is fine, even encouraged. Profane language and attacking other members of TMC is against forum rules and will lead to a ban.

Bruce.
Then you should have moved Modadel's post because it was not on topic, and an unprovoked attack on me. Just because I called a spade a spade you moved my post? Please consider what choices you made. His statement about how I "do not like anything Tesla" is an attack when posted in a very "Pro-Tesla Community." And it was incorrect to put it mildly. All Modadel did was read my last ten posts, and since most of those were my defending my decision to not Get the Tesla Powerwall/Solarglass System installed because it is a bad decision when based on the financial numbers. As well as how Tesla bases the advantage of their system over an extremely lengthy time period in which there WILL be huge advancements which will likely make this system obsolete and a negative instead of a positive. AND it is unproven as well.
So I discussed in ONE thread why it is not prudent for someone that strongly considered the Tesla Roof and Powerwalls (me) based on Elon's statement that it would be a good fit for those that were replacing their roofs and were going to go solar.
I have not been negative about any other product nor the tesla powerwall or the solarglass roof in any other thread. AND i have been EXTREMELY positive about the Cyber. To the point of discussing the myriad of advantages and ways a Cyber could change my life, and the hotel and airline models, as well as provide a good "base" for me to build my Tiny Home off the grid out in the woods. So Modadel in fact was lazy and/or deceitful in attempting to discredit my decision.
YOU should question people that for no reason decide they are going to talk negatively about another member, especially when what they post about that person is untrue.
And you didn't. You saw I called him what he is AFTER he started talking of me on a personal level in a public forum with misinformation.
If anyone should be censored it is that member for his immature ACTION. I hope you recognise/investigate what he did, and then how you compounded it. I do not come here to be attacked, nor talked about. I would not do that to another person unless they senseless and immaturely are allowed, by you, to post untruths about me. If you did your job correctly you would have not removed my post for saying "Snippy" words to the "snippiness" section without also removing his post.
I was taught that words are just words. He made a thinly-disguised, unwarranted, and unprovoked attack on me that was immature and a lie. And you as a moderator should have enough sense to recognise when a member is NOT discussing the topic, and instead starts bad-mouthing another member.
And you should have either removed both of our posts. Mine because I was colorful in exposing the member for his childish, baseless attack. And me because...what I used some words?
His actions warranted your intervention. He should have been censored and censured for doing what he did. But you were incapable of seeing his action for what it was, or you are only capable of identifying words that mommy finds unsettling.
Actions or words? Which should be monitored?
Had he posted about the subject, and not started incorrectly trying to make me out to be anto-Tesla when it is obvious I am not is what you should be watching for. And not if someone calls someone out after they are themselves incorrectly and negatively attacked.

Last edited:
I didn't know this was anything like investing in the markets. ;)
One would get lifetime of energy and when the house sells, I bet by then people will gladly pay for it.
No headache for them to have it installed and close to free electricity for their lives.
You have assumed everything. There is a very real chance that in five years (Which is what 3 generations of the current Solarglass), the current Solarglass will be a dinosaur. And in ten years the powerwalls will be unsupported by Tesla because the technology will be so old. And Tesla will reply to your inquiry about having someone service the Current powerwall with a reply like, "That is SO OLD we no longer have parts. Instead you should upgrade to Powerwall 6.0. It costs half as much. holds infinite power, is much more durable and dependable, and uses your household garbage to store energy."
And the "Beautiful Shiney Black" roof will look dated and "just old." Try selling a house with the curb appeal based on an old black dinosaur for a roof. That is IF it lives up to your assumptions and still works. It is unproven. Already Tesla has rolled back how long they will guarantee it. You believe they did that "just because." I believe there are reasons for actions.

• Disagree
Reactions: Odiemac and madodel
You have assumed everything. There is a very real chance that in five years (Which is what 3 generations of the current Solarglass), the current Solarglass will be a dinosaur. And in ten years the powerwalls will be unsupported by Tesla because the technology will be so old. And Tesla will reply to your inquiry about having someone service the Current powerwall with a reply like, "That is SO OLD we no longer have parts. Instead you should upgrade to Powerwall 6.0. It costs half as much. holds infinite power, is much more durable and dependable, and uses your household garbage to store energy."
And the "Beautiful Shiney Black" roof will look dated and "just old." Try selling a house with the curb appeal based on an old black dinosaur for a roof. That is IF it lives up to your assumptions and still works. It is unproven. Already Tesla has rolled back how long they will guarantee it. You believe they did that "just because." I believe there are reasons for actions.
Yep, all assumptions. I may be gone tomorrow and won't worry about anything.:)

Reactions: madodel and jboy210
Yep, all assumptions. I may be gone tomorrow and won't worry about anything.:)

The more likely reality is that your power company will cut your power for a few days each fall, when the red flag warnings are posted for the next decade or so. So the question is what would one pay to avoid 4-5 days of living without electricity. Based on my experience I would pay quite a bit. And the lower power bills (that $0.41/kw peak rate is tough to take) are a bonus.

Reactions: madodel and msm859
PG&E only gave me a few pennies at true-up. Now we have community power that may pay more of excess power.
$0.41?

My mistake. I was focused on no longer paying 0.41 during the peak.

Right now since we are home almost 24 X 7, and work from home with a lot of computers and networking equipment running we average around $400/mo on electricity. I am hoping to get that under $50. And more importantly be able to work through the PSPS days of shutdowns we can look forward to every fall.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 9.38.29 AM.png
If I lived on the Florida coast I wouldn't be as worried about whether my roof would be "in fashion" in 30 years. Maybe I would be more concerned about the lack of a true waterproof rating on the Powerwalls.

• Love
Reactions: madodel and Ampster
View attachment 501785 If I lived on the Florida coast I wouldn't be as worried about whether my roof would be "in fashion" in 30 years. Maybe I would be more concerned about the lack of a true waterproof rating on the Powerwalls.

Does that actually mean year 2100? your not implying you think that powerwalls installed now need to be waterproof because of something thats happening 80 years from now, are you?

Does that actually mean year 2100? your not implying you think that powerwalls installed now need to be waterproof because of something thats happening 80 years from now, are you?

Well, that 2100 map is 2C average rise, we're at 1.2C already and accelerating (5mm sea rise a year, used to be 3mm 5 years ago). So its unclear when we'll get to 2C, but it could be well before 2100.

Also, the average level isn't what you're worried about, but rather the top of a king tide. Lets just say that bad things are gonna be happening within the warranty period of a Solarglass roof. And if you're only focused on economics, imagine what the resale value of these places is going to be like once everyone realizes this is coming.

• Love
Reactions: madodel
And if you're only focused on economics, imagine what the resale value of these places is going to be like once everyone realizes this is coming.
.....and as I mentioned earlier in this thread, when are the lenders going to react to that uncertainty? That is not an original thought of mine, but rather the opinion of an attorney acquaintance who lives there.

Reactions: Odiemac and madodel
Status
Not open for further replies.