Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass powerwalls not for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really tried to crunch the numbers to make it work so I could buy a Solarglass Roof and Powerwalls. The numbers just don't work at all if your electricity is provided by Florida Power and Light. I'd have to be in this house for 20 years to actually break even.If I took the money and payed the market conservatively I'd make more money.
I wanted all the non-financial benefits of being able to survive a long power outage caused by a hurricane, And yet the tesla Roof is only rated for 130mph (I thought it was 135 mph, but when I inquired they sent me a screen shot that it was 130mph. And I have to wonder the probability of some aspect of failure from hurricane-driven rain.)
The tech is advancing in leaps and bounds so buying got for future rewards is not intelligent. In the future it will be easier, cheaper, and better.
I wanted to go all in, and become a Tesla Homer. I am still infatuated with the Tesla Cyber. I will just charge it at night .

• Informative
Reactions: house9 and Reeler
The solar roof is expensive, and probably only makes sense if a new roof is being installed - and even then it's likely going to take 20+ years to achieve break even.

For an existing roof, solar panels will likely cost less, though could take 10-20 years to break even, depending upon the cost of local electricity.

When evaluating break even, another factor to consider is the benefit of having backup power available with PowerWalls. If you're in an area with frequent power outages (California) or susceptible to hurricanes (Gulf/Atlantic coasts), the solar/PW combination could support extended off-grid operations, without relying on a noisy gas generator.

When projecting long-term cost/benefit, another factor to consider is the likely future increases in electricity costs. When our utility company indicated we could see a 30% increase in our electricity rates this year, that helped to justify going solar. Even though we were able to find a less expensive plan to renew for this year, the long term trend is clear - the cost of electricity is rising due to the shift to relatively more expensive renewable energy sources coupled with the increased grid costs (likely to expand the grid to reach the new renewable energy fields).

The solar roofs are somewhat like buying a Tesla S/3/X - there is a higher upfront cost, which is balanced out by lower longer term costs (maintenance, fuel cost savings).

If we were building a new house now, we'd strongly consider incorporating solar roof into the plans - along with other energy saving features (foam insulation, LED lighting, energy efficient pool pumps, ...).

the cost of electricity is rising due to the shift to relatively more expensive renewable energy sources coupled with the increased grid costs (likely to expand the grid to reach the new renewable energy fields).
I just saw a solar farm proposal in Nevada that has a contract to sell power at $0.04 per kilowatt hour. That is competitive with natural gas so I don't think renewable energy is more expensive. I do agree that electric rates are rising but I think the main reason is the cost of maintaining and upgrading the grid.

The solar roof is expensive, and probably only makes sense if a new roof is being installed - and even then it's likely going to take 20+ years to achieve break even.

For an existing roof, solar panels will likely cost less, though could take 10-20 years to break even, depending upon the cost of local electricity.

When evaluating break even, another factor to consider is the benefit of having backup power available with PowerWalls. If you're in an area with frequent power outages (California) or susceptible to hurricanes (Gulf/Atlantic coasts), the solar/PW combination could support extended off-grid operations, without relying on a noisy gas generator.

When projecting long-term cost/benefit, another factor to consider is the likely future increases in electricity costs. When our utility company indicated we could see a 30% increase in our electricity rates this year, that helped to justify going solar. Even though we were able to find a less expensive plan to renew for this year, the long term trend is clear - the cost of electricity is rising due to the shift to relatively more expensive renewable energy sources coupled with the increased grid costs (likely to expand the grid to reach the new renewable energy fields).

The solar roofs are somewhat like buying a Tesla S/3/X - there is a higher upfront cost, which is balanced out by lower longer term costs (maintenance, fuel cost savings).

If we were building a new house now, we'd strongly consider incorporating solar roof into the plans - along with other energy saving features (foam insulation, LED lighting, energy efficient pool pumps, ...).
You've quoted verbatim the mantra of the people that are selling the solarglass roof with power walls. But the math doesn't support ANY of it.
I do need a new roof due to hail damage. A new 130mph shingle roof for my home will cost about $10,000 (high estimate). The low estimate from Tesla(10.1kw system with three Powerwalls) was $63 grand.
So $53,000 difference. I use roughly $2k/yr Probably less. So it will take 21 yrs to "break even.... Not so fast. The powerwalls are guaranteed for 10 yrs. No one has an issue with that math? And the degradation of the system is 5% in the beginning and then "only" .5%/yr after that...none of that was figured into the equation.
And instead let's just put the $43,000 in a safe stock... 3% annual return.... How far out does that push the ROI when you consider the money spent would have been making money for a prolonged number of years? Did you subtract the main benefit of the powerwalls after 10 years? When does that benefit go away? It is going to go away before 20 years. And then need replacing. So your overly-simplified ROI needs to Recover the new Powerwalls.
And then there is the outages due to hurricanes. A huge benefit/consideration for many of us on the SE Coast.... the roof is only rated to 130mph. And that is the point at which it would blow away. Likely, long before that, hurricane-driven rainwater intrusion would takedown the system. I tried to get more information from my contact person at Tesla as to whether the roof was robust enough to handle water intrusion in regard to maintaining viability of the system. I asked for everything they had on the subject. All they quoted was the wind rating. Which isn't any better than the shingles I had blow off my roof twice in the last 10 years. So the electrical system is suspect in a storm. If it doesn't work then what? A huge reason to get the roof is to have quiet energy when there is a power outage. You know, Peace of Mind. And you'd have to just drink the Kool-aid, and ignore the issue. Or you could get a whole house propane generate wired in for less than $8,000. Or you could just leave for a week and go on vacation, just be sure and empty the fridge before you go.
So ALL the "peace of mind" value has not been substantiate or proven over time in regard to a hurricane along the Southeastern United States.
And there is the other area to consider. We hear it every day. renewable energy is on a technological-breakthrough missile. "Renewable energy is getting cheaper." And if that isn't enough, look at Tesla Solar Roofing itself.... They tout the dramatic price drop. Do you think that is going to stop anytime soon. Some of us are forward-thinking enough to look to the "Announcement" Big Ee is going to have within a month concerning the battery sector of Tesla. Anyone think that this won't involve powerwalls directly, and the whole renewable energy arena indirectly? So how quick will the whole Solar glass/powerwall system become a dinosaur, and "You really should replace that" is going to be all you can think of when you look at your home?
And lastly, they state that the roof looks beautiful.
"No, No it doesn't." In that case I should be allowed to tar my roof and be done with it. "Tar is beautiful." Riiiight.
I even investigated just getting the Solarglass roof and not the powerwalls. My Tesla contact told me that the solarglass roof would not run the house if there was a grid outage. I would need the powerwalls to complete that. Having electricity through the sunny part of the day would make the home livable. But nope....no "outage" benefit to a $40,000 solarglass roof during a power outage even if the sun is shining.

SO yeah, if you live where electricity is 3x what I pay for it then perhaps it makes sense.

I'm still going to get my Cyber Utility Vehicle (with the vault, not a bed..though I will put a bed in the vault more often than I put anything else in the vault it is a vault, not a bed.). Right now I am in it for the 2M model. I've never been one to go as fast as the car will go so what is the point of having that much speed).
I could buy the highest priced Cyber with all the bells and whistles for what I was quoted for the "Max Solar" system for my 980 sq ft home. think about that for a second.
I've run the numbers for the cyber, and they seem legit. I will charge the Cyber at night. And sleep in it if there is any power outage, especially a hurricane. So it will have a great benefit as "The Hurricane Bunker.... Bulletproof, Air-conditioned, large bed, TV...sounds better than a noisy motel room 300 miles from home. I can sit right outside the house and watch the storm blow through. Maybe make a cool youtube vid. I wonder what the wind-rating on the Cyber is? Probably at least over 200mph, maybe 3 times what the Solarglass roof is rated.And it is going to weigh a ton (or a couple of tons), So it ain't going to go anywhere....unless I tell it to.

I do find it interesting that solar seems to be the only purchase that is required to pay for itself. The roof you're going to buy instead of a Solarglass Roof, how many years until it pays itself off? How many years until the Cybertruck pays itself off?

I got mine because I needed a new roof, had always wanted solar but didn't want racks of panels on the roof, and the Powerwall was a big plus also. Do I expect it to ever pay itself off? No. Neither would any other roof I would have bought in its place. The fact that it basically eliminates my power bill for many years is just a plus. And of course it should add some value to the resale of the home, not that I plan on selling any time soon. I did place an equivalent investment in Tesla stock, and have officially made back the price of the roof plus thanks to the recent stock jumps. So I guess I could call my roof paid-off at this point (less than a year!), as I almost certainly wouldn't have bought Tesla stock otherwise. :)

You've quoted verbatim the mantra of the people that are selling the solarglass roof with power walls. But the math doesn't support ANY of it.
I do need a new roof due to hail damage. A new 130mph shingle roof for my home will cost about $10,000 (high estimate). The low estimate from Tesla(10.1kw system with three Powerwalls) was $63 grand.
So $53,000 difference. I use roughly $2k/yr Probably less. So it will take 21 yrs to "break even.... Not so fast. The powerwalls are guaranteed for 10 yrs. No one has an issue with that math? And the degradation of the system is 5% in the beginning and then "only" .5%/yr after that...none of that was figured into the equation.
And instead let's just put the $43,000 in a safe stock... 3% annual return.... How far out does that push the ROI when you consider the money spent would have been making money for a prolonged number of years? Did you subtract the main benefit of the powerwalls after 10 years? When does that benefit go away? It is going to go away before 20 years. And then need replacing. So your overly-simplified ROI needs to Recover the new Powerwalls.

Ok, a couple of problems with your math. First, Powerwalls are not required for the solar roof to operate. So when you calculate it, you should exclude 3 Powerwalls.

Powerwalls are needed to replace a standby generator. If you don't have gas in your house, a stanby generator will cost you at least 15-20K installed. And the generators come with a 5 year warranty. Also, with a Powerwall you can potentially switch to a TOU plan and save more money (if your consumption exceeds solar production).

In my city, shingle roofs are not allowed, so the cheapest roof will cost about 30K anyway. Although 130mph rating will probably mean that solar roof will not be sold here.

And then there is the outages due to hurricanes. A huge benefit/consideration for many of us on the SE Coast.... the roof is only rated to 130mph. And that is the point at which it would blow away. Likely, long before that, hurricane-driven rainwater intrusion would takedown the system. I tried to get more information from my contact person at Tesla as to whether the roof was robust enough to handle water intrusion in regard to maintaining viability of the system. I asked for everything they had on the subject. All they quoted was the wind rating. Which isn't any better than the shingles I had blow off my roof twice in the last 10 years. So the electrical system is suspect in a storm. If it doesn't work then what? A huge reason to get the roof is to have quiet energy when there is a power outage. You know, Peace of Mind. And you'd have to just drink the Kool-aid, and ignore the issue. Or you could get a whole house propane generate wired in for less than $8,000. Or you could just leave for a week and go on vacation, just be sure and empty the fridge before you go.
So ALL the "peace of mind" value has not been substantiate or proven over time in regard to a hurricane along the Southeastern United States.
And there is the other area to consider. We hear it every day. renewable energy is on a technological-breakthrough missile. "Renewable energy is getting cheaper." And if that isn't enough, look at Tesla Solar Roofing itself.... They tout the dramatic price drop. Do you think that is going to stop anytime soon. Some of us are forward-thinking enough to look to the "Announcement" Big Ee is going to have within a month concerning the battery sector of Tesla. Anyone think that this won't involve powerwalls directly, and the whole renewable energy arena indirectly? So how quick will the whole Solar glass/powerwall system become a dinosaur, and "You really should replace that" is going to be all you can think of when you look at your home?
And lastly, they state that the roof looks beautiful.
"No, No it doesn't." In that case I should be allowed to tar my roof and be done with it. "Tar is beautiful." Riiiight.
I even investigated just getting the Solarglass roof and not the powerwalls. My Tesla contact told me that the solarglass roof would not run the house if there was a grid outage. I would need the powerwalls to complete that. Having electricity through the sunny part of the day would make the home livable. But nope....no "outage" benefit to a $40,000 solarglass roof during a power outage even if the sun is shining.

SO yeah, if you live where electricity is 3x what I pay for it then perhaps it makes sense.

I'm still going to get my Cyber Utility Vehicle (with the vault, not a bed..though I will put a bed in the vault more often than I put anything else in the vault it is a vault, not a bed.). Right now I am in it for the 2M model. I've never been one to go as fast as the car will go so what is the point of having that much speed).
I could buy the highest priced Cyber with all the bells and whistles for what I was quoted for the "Max Solar" system for my 980 sq ft home. think about that for a second.
I've run the numbers for the cyber, and they seem legit. I will charge the Cyber at night. And sleep in it if there is any power outage, especially a hurricane. So it will have a great benefit as "The Hurricane Bunker.... Bulletproof, Air-conditioned, large bed, TV...sounds better than a noisy motel room 300 miles from home. I can sit right outside the house and watch the storm blow through. Maybe make a cool youtube vid. I wonder what the wind-rating on the Cyber is? Probably at least over 200mph, maybe 3 times what the Solarglass roof is rated.And it is going to weigh a ton (or a couple of tons), So it ain't going to go anywhere....unless I tell it to.

Im still not seeing a question in here... is there one or is it just what I said in my first post?

• Funny
Reactions: Sherlo and miimura
Too many people are comparing the price of a Solar Roof + Powerwalls with the price of a normal roof replacement. They are not even remotely equal!

First, you have to compare the cost of a normal roof PLUS conventional solar panel installation with the Solar Roof. You will still likely find the solar roof is more expensive, but is it worth it to you for the aesthetics?

Second, the Powerwalls will ALWAYS be an extra-cost option. There is NO WAY you can expect payback on storage; that is an 'apples-to-oranges comparison'. You can ONLY expect payback on the solar panels that actually PRODUCE electricity. Then you will have to calculate the cost of electricity and the price the utility will pay for extra production. Your payback may be anywhere from 5 to 20+ years, depending on your usage patterns.

Finally, you are not only purchasing a replacement for delivery of electricity. You are purchasing the ability to have electric service when the grid fails - even moreso when you buy storage. You would AT LEAST have to compare the cost of an equivalent generator, fuel, maintenance, etc. Also note that in many places you cannot install a fully automatic transfer switch with a generator, which would be [close to] equivalent to the Tesla Gateway installed with the Powerwalls. Most transfer switches will go from grid to generator automatically (with the inherent delay for starting the generator), but not back to the grid...

Second, the Powerwalls will ALWAYS be an extra-cost option.

I agree with most of what you said, but depending on ones local Utility rate plans, it can seriously change the equation from one geo area to another.

In my case, with my utility, in my Arizona location, there was no payback with only Solar given the way our utility had setup the Solar TOU plans with large peak windows & usage rates, and with high peak period demand charges when the sun doesn't shine through the midnight hours, but otherwise extremely cheap off-peak rates mostly when the sun is shining.

So once PWs were available the payback for me came down to under 8 years - and even under 5 years when I add a second full electric vehicle to replace my truck, vs no lifetime payback for only solar, ever. This is because the PWs allow me to eliminate all peak rates & demand charges, and then take advantage of super low off-peak rates for otherwise 100% of my grid usage needs even with a very small solar system, but relatively large PW setup. So in my case, it wasn't PWs were not "ALWAYS" the extra cost option - it was the ONLY option if considering a reasonable payback period (when bundled with a small amount of solar).

Having said that, I agree with everything else you've said. Pay-back isn't the only consideration for many of us. Things such as driving on sunlight, and savings thousands of tens of thousands of tons of CO2 pumped into the air from a single car each year is a Hugh payback, even if not financial. But in my case I did also want it to make a reasonable bit of financial sense also. So I get the original posters situation given they evidently have relatively cheap electricity - except I wouldn't focus on glass roof, and just do panels in that case, seems like a nonsensical strategy given how cheap the poster can otherwise install a new roof for. Here concrete tiles roofs, that can stand up to our AZ sun cost quite a bit more.

Last edited:
Your post makes sense in Florida, or any other place that has cheap electricity provided by hydro (dams)
Little fossil fuel is burned to make your electricity, your state does not put heavy taxes on the power.
You are only putting on a relatively inexpensive plain looking ashphalt roof.

In other areas it makes a ton of sense. Due to snow loads and style, many have much more expensive tile roofs, their electricity is expensive and generated by burning expensive and polluting, coal, oil, gas etc.
They have heavy taxes on electricity, and prices have been going up over the years. They have aging electric infrastructure and Winter weather making outtages frequent. For those people, solar tiles, solar panels, powerwalls, backup generators make all the sense in the world.

Your post is kind of like saying you don't need to change over to snow tires in the Winter because you don't get any snow..

The trend is to Solar as collectors get cheaper and fuel gets more expensive. In some areas, it is already a no brainer to install Solar. In others it is break even, and others the payback is non-existent.

I live in SoCal. The price of electricity is high, the taxes are high and the generation of power involves burning fuel. In this area the pay back is quick, the environmental benefits huge and the rebates make it even better. Have a friend that runs his business computers from his home. During the last power outage his PowerWalls kept him up and running, instead of being closed, waiting for the power to come back on. His lights were on in the evenings and he was a bright shining example of the value of solar/backup batteries.

Your post makes sense in Florida, or any other place that has cheap electricity provided by hydro (dams)
Little fossil fuel is burned to make your electricity, your state does not put heavy taxes on the power.
You are only putting on a relatively inexpensive plain looking ashphalt roof.

More like "a place that is almost completely fossil fuel powered, and will have significant parts of it underwater soon" o_O

Unknown.jpeg

Reactions: preilly44
What wasn't mentioned is the US solar tax credit.

It was 30% last year - which was the only way we could justify the purchase of our solar/PW system, which still had a very long time to achieve break even, even with the tax credit.

This year, the credit is still 26%. In the example above, the $63K cost of a new solar roof would be $46.6K after the tax credit. A normal roof would cost $10K - so the net cost of adding solar into the roof would be $36.6K.

If the owner factors in backup power - the cost of a new standard roof and backup generator would be $18K, reducing the net cost for adding solar down to $28.6K.

Assuming the electricity cost savings is $2K/year - that would be around a 14 year break even, and likely better since electric rates are likely to increase at least at the rate of inflation, if not more over that 14 year period.

We just spent $88K on our system, to provide much of our electricity and backup power during hurricanes (in TX). Even with the 30% tax credit, it will take many years to break even, and we're fine with that.

Another unexpected side effect of installing the PowerWalls - it's easy to see how much power we are using - and the impact of those devices that are the largest energy consumers. After turning on our system, we've already found ways to reduce our energy consumption by changing out the frequently used lights to LED and optimizing some devices (like the waterfall pump for our pool that was using 2.5KW of power!).

And while it's not a large savings - at least in TX, when the house is appraised for taxes, the value of the solar panels and PowerWalls is excluded from property taxes...

Another unexpected side effect of installing the PowerWalls - it's easy to see how much power we are using - and the impact of those devices that are the largest energy consumers. After turning on our system, we've already found ways to reduce our energy consumption by changing out the frequently used lights to LED and optimizing some devices (like the waterfall pump for our pool that was using 2.5KW of power!).

Aint that the Truth? I have had solar since 2015, but I did not have consumption meters installed. Solar City said something about my panel not having room for them when they installed my solar in 2015, so while I could always see my solar production, I never saw my usage. The new Powerwalls that were just installed let me see consumption too.

I have only had the system since last monday, but I find myself mesmerized by staring at the app multiple times a day. I love the fact that, I can turn on something and basically see instant response in the app. I wanted sense energy monitors to track down usage, but now dont feel like I need such a thing (and they dont seem to work too well with solar + powerwalls anyway from all the reading I did).

I can turn on my coffee maker in the morning, and see basically how much the process of heating up the water spikes my energy usage. I already had LED lights most places, but I can see exactly what the cost of running the heater(s) in the house are, and my wife and I both decided to turn the temperature the heat comes on down, and just bundle up a bit more if we were cold.

Watching the solar flow to the house and powerwalls, is somewhat liberating for some reason. These are the worst months for solar for me (dec to feb) and I generate almost exactly what I use, without counting for my model 3.

I have even started charging my model 3 at work, a bit to shift that usage. Since my solar is leased, I pay 16c kW for my solar production, and work charging cost me 17c at a restricted chargepoint station that work put in a couple years ago. So, I am paying the same price, but my car is not draining my battery and I can run at something like 98% self powered during these winter months. By march I will be back to enough production to include my car and save that 1c per kW lol.

Anyway yeah totally agree that seeing the consumption is a trigger for helping identify waste, or making informed decisions about power usage.

It was 30% last year - which was the only way we could justify the purchase of our solar/PW system, which still had a very long time to achieve break even, even with the tax credit.

This year, the credit is still 26%. In the example above, the $63K cost of a new solar roof would be $46.6K after the tax credit. A normal roof would cost $10K - so the net cost of adding solar into the roof would be $36.6K.

I will just note that (at least per Tesla's interpretation) the entire roof cost does not qualify for the ITC, only the producing portion does (and the PW bits). It made the economics of a larger system interesting at least in my case, as while replacing non-producing tiles with producing ones (going to Max Solar) increased the overall cost of my project, it also increased the portion of the cost covered by the ITC, where more than doubling the size of the solar system added only a few % to the post-ITC cost. So it made that part of the decision a no-brainer for me.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
. . .

If the owner factors in backup power - the cost of a new standard roof and backup generator would be $18K, reducing the net cost for adding solar down to $28.6K.
While the net cost for adding solar with the Solar Roof may be $36K, that will get you 12KW of conventional panels BEFORE the credit.

Also, you have to compare the generator with Powerwalls - same net purpose of emergency backup. You may pay 3x the price for Powerwalls, but they will also return you some $$ in normal use, as well as providing emergency backup. Generator has the advantage for long-term use in the dead of winter; otherwise battery storage is much more flexible.

I don't have to deal with time-of-use pricing in WA, so I'm not familiar with the intricacies of timing recharging, etc. Though as Jay pointed out above, they could make a BIG difference when pricing is predatory/punitive in high-use times...

Status
Not open for further replies.