Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass Roof - Bay Area - how long to wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any sense of how long the backlog is for getting a Solarglass roof? I just placed an order. I was hoping it would give me a "delivery" estimate, but didn't see anything. Maybe I need to finish completing the steps they request after you order.

I heard somewhere that it's more than a year backlog. But I can't remember where I heard that or if it has any basis in reality.

Thanks

This was my timeline in the bay area:
10/27/19 - Ordered online
11/21/19 - Received design proposal
12/07/19 - Signed contract
01/10/20 - Install scheduled
01/22/20 - Install started

So just shy of 3 months from initial order to install start. Including the holidays and 2 weeks of me stalling signing the contract.

Reactions: Carl_Drogo
Being in the bay area has to be a big plus since installs are definitely being done around here, certainly compared to states they aren't installing at all, and I'd suspect parts of CA they're not working in either. Still being a relatively new thing, I have to assume that there's still a dependency on the complexity of the project, and perhaps size. With v2 they made it pretty clear they weren't interested in taking on projects that were <10kW. Now I've heard of v3 proposals smaller than that, so it seems like that bar has at least been lowered, but I'm not sure it's gone (i.e. they might not be interested in a roof that turns out to only be able to do 2,3, or 5 kW, at least not as quickly as bigger projects). And I do think they're paying close attention to any unusual features of the roof, though I guess that one might go both ways, if there is a feature that they're ready to take on then they might look for a house to try it out on.

I have to imagine there are still original (v1/v2 time frame) deposit holders they haven't gotten back to, yet there are clearly orders since the v3 announce that are already at or near completion. What I don't understand is what puts some of these projects before others.

Curious, is there anyone reading this who is (1) in the bay area and (2) put in a deposit before the v3 announce (and hasn't since withdrawn it) who hasn't heard from Tesla yet? I have to assume such people exist (surely they got lots of deposits in the bay area, and haven't installed that many roofs yet), but I kinda doubt any of them are on this forum.

Anyway, my much less speedy timeline for my v2 install, obviously they've streamlined a lot since:
06/05/17 - Deposit placed
07/12/18 - First contact from Tesla Energy Advisor
07/21/18 - Site survey
09/10/18 - Received design proposal
09/18/18 - Signed contract
10/25/18 - PG&E interconnect documents ready/signed
[In between, pre-construction work (asbestos abatement and power riser code upgrade performed by PG&E)]
12/07/18 - Install scheduled (for 12/17, which didn't work for me due to holiday schedule)
[A few more tries for a schedule fit, one late cancel by Tesla for January, next proposed time (early Feb) not good for me, settled on late February start]
01/15/19 - Powerwall installed but not fully wired (this would have been in the middle of the install date Tesla cancelled, but they did the PW anyway)
02/26/19 - Roof tear-off started

Last edited:
curious as to your ROI. Lived in Bay Area until May 2018 when we moved to Sacramento. We lived in Belmont and did not have AC. ROI on Panels was 20+ years. Moved to Sacramento and installed Solar right away. ROI = 4 years. Added Powerwalls a week ago

Not sure who that's addressed to, but I didn't buy a roof because I expected it to pay for itself, I bought a roof because I needed a new roof. That it also provides more than enough power for my house to offset my PG&E (electric and gas) for many years is just a plus. I never even attempted to calculate an ROI. I live in south San Jose, where when the weather forecast says San Jose is going to be 90 it's over 100 in my back yard (and at least 90 inside the house by 5pm). The house is currently un-insulated and with no AC, but I plan to fix that this summer, and knowing that my electricity bill isn't going to shoot up after I add AC is another plus (I do need to insulate the walls also, though).

curious as to your ROI. Lived in Bay Area until May 2018 when we moved to Sacramento. We lived in Belmont and did not have AC. ROI on Panels was 20+ years. Moved to Sacramento and installed Solar right away. ROI = 4 years. Added Powerwalls a week ago

As Elon stated, this product is targeted at someone needing a new tile roof and wants to add solar.

For my house (always had tile roof) a conventional tile roof is around $30-35,000 (High end "Architectural" asphalt singles were $21,000 + more for gutters and such). Adding 9.6 KW of solar panels, inverters, etc to that added another 25K or so. So now we are up to 60K. The bid for the Telsa solarglass roof (12+ KW) was around $75K with 2 Powerwalls. So without the Powerwalls would have been under at 60K for the Tesla solarglass roof and solar.

FWIW, we went for the Powerwalls since we got hit with the PG&E PSPS shutoff for 3 days this fall and will likely get hit next fall, and the fall after that and ....

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl_Drogo