Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass Roof install set for Feb 16-Mar1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
We got a call from Tesla and they are set to install our SolarGlass roof, starting in 4 weeks or so. We can hardly wait.
They said the gating factor was the city permit department.

Telsa sent of a large- 17 page document from PGE that I am wading through. One question I had was the document title for net metering reads - Net Energy Metering (NEM2) Interconnection for Solar and/or Wind Electric Generation Facility of 30 KW or less with Energy Storage of 10 KW or less. The SolarGlass roof generation is 12KW, so that is OK. But we are having 2 PowerWalls installed. Don't those each store 14KW, so a total of 28KW? Do they have the wrong document for our system?

Powerwall Energy Capacity = 13.5kWh each
Powerwall Power Output = 5kW continuous, 7kW peak, each

Both of these quantities are additive for installations with multiple Powerwalls.

The utility is primarily concerned with how much power is interconnected to the grid, not how long you can sustain that power.

OK. Not sure if we are moving forward or backwards.

Jan 31, 2020
Given target windows for install by Tesla project coordinator: Late Feb -Early March.

Feb 13/2020 (today) My thoughts in bold
Checked the city permit website today and it show granted!! Yeah!
Went to Tesla website and says call this 877# to schedule. Yeah!
Called 877#. Person looks us up. Says he needs to place us on hold. Oh-oh
15 minutes later he comes back on and says he is not right person. Trying find right person. Oh, this is not good.
5 more minutes and he says he has the right person and is transferring. Yeah!
Person says they are in scheduling department and wants to apologize and can't give us date. Oh no!
Says they are working with subcontractors to schedule crews. Hmm. No direct Tesla people?
Asks us if we are going to be out of town in March - May. This seems longer than expected. And no might not be around Mid May for a week.
Person says OK I will put not available mid-May for a week. Oh, sh&^%
Says they will get back to us as soon as they have the schedule worked out. Are we screwed?

Given the horror stories of installs I am a little concerned that we screwed up by telling them we were going to out of town for a week, since this a tentative plan.

Any thoughts on where we stand with the install?

Powerwall Energy Capacity = 13.5kWh each
Powerwall Power Output = 5kW continuous, 7kW peak, each

Both of these quantities are additive for installations with multiple Powerwalls.

The utility is primarily concerned with how much power is interconnected to the grid, not how long you can sustain that power.
My question would be that only the solar part would send power to the grid and not the batteries. They are only connected to to get power from solar or deliver it back to the house only, not the grid. So, why would they be concerned about the batteries.

My question would be that only the solar part would send power to the grid and not the batteries. They are only connected to to get power from solar or deliver it back to the house only, not the grid. So, why would they be concerned about the batteries.

The Utility interconnect agreements all talk about storage as well. You have to get an interconnect to operate battery storage as well, so they care.

Looks like we are getting close. Tesla install scheduler asked if they can start in next week or two. Said it should take 7-13 days to complete installation.

We need to get crew in to fix tape and paint wall that PWs will sit on. And I wanted to get some "before" shots with this drone I have had in the closet for a year. I guess I will have to figure out how to fly it. How hard can it be? :rolleyes:

Just got off the phone with Tesla scheduler. Install starting March 2. We put our $100 deposit down Oct 29, so a little over 4 months from first order to install. Not too bad.

On install day the 1st item is to meet with crew lead and go over activity schedule. Then define placement of inverters, gateway, and PWs.

The PWs/wiring are set to be in a whole house backup setup, which include the Tesla charger. A little concerned about this and the possibility of draining PWs in the event of night time power outage and charging. Any way to get a notification/alarm that the power has failed and we running on PWs?

First payment due on material drop-off on/before first day. Second/Final Payment due at end of installation and passing city inspection. Both must be paid before they submit paperwork for Permission to Operate

Heading off to paint store to get paint that matches the house, and they will use for external pipes and downspouts.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Compton
The PWs/wiring are set to be in a whole house backup setup, which include the Tesla charger. A little concerned about this and the possibility of draining PWs in the event of night time power outage and charging. Any way to get a notification/alarm that the power has failed and we running on PWs?

The Tesla app (at least on iOS) will put up a notification about 5 minutes into a power outage (the delay is intentional I believe...so if you get a very short power outage, you don't get bothered with a notification).

My charging circuits are wired this way too. I guess I haven't been too concerned about this problem (yet).

Below is an intriuging possibility but it's far from a certainty that this would happen:

Tesla Powerwall smarter integration with vehicle charging hinted at in API code

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: Eugene Ash
The project started!

Tesla supervisor and local roofing crew showed up Monday March 2 at 0730. They walked us through the roof part of the process. Rough schedule is:
  • Roofing crew
  • Tear off - 2 days
  • Roof prep (under-layment, fixing issues with plywood,etc.) - 1-2 days
  • Installation of solar roof - 6-7 days
  • PW crew - starts 4 days after roofing crew, this Thursday
    • PW location selection and layout of boxes
    • Additional details to follow from PW crew
Here is a link to some photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WzYWmp3Vzy4BCV3z9

Exciting stuff. Can't wait for these crews to ramp up and do one day each of tear-off with repairs, solar/battery install, and system/grid interconnection plus testing.

The Tesla guys said they are trying to get it down to under 7 days total.

It is interesting that ours is one of the first install where the Tesla guys are acting more as supervisors and mentors, and not doing most of the work. The subs are doing more of the install under tight supervision. Not sure if that is good or bad. But the Tesla guy watches these subs like a hawk.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JustMe
The Tesla guys said they are trying to get it down to under 7 days total.

It is interesting that ours is the first install where the Tesla guys are acting more as supervisors and mentors, and not doing most of the work. The subs are doing more of the install under tight supervision. Not sure if that is good or bad. But the Tesla guy watches these subs like a hawk.
I believe they're actively focused on training additional crews, so maybe these guys doing the work are just from out of town? Costs are gonna be huge in the short term, then out of nowhere Tesla will have an insurmountable cost advantage once scaled.

• Love
Reactions: jboy210
I believe they're actively focused on training additional crews, so maybe these guys doing the work are just from out of town? Costs are gonna be huge in the short term, then out of nowhere Tesla will have an insurmountable cost advantage once scaled.

Definitely. And these roofing companies are trying to differentiate themselves. We talked to the CEO of the company and he was very excited about working with Tesla. And he made everyone on the crew know how important this job.

The project started!

Tesla supervisor and local roofing crew showed up Monday March 2 at 0730. They walked us through the roof part of the process. Rough schedule is:
  • Roofing crew
  • Tear off - 2 days

Of course we have no rain for weeks and then the forecast changes in the Bay area to showers looking like Saturday thru next Thursday now. Not sure where you are in N.Calif but hope you stay clear.

As for the crews being trained that was one thing my husband was told that they were in the process of training people due to the large volume of orders here. To bring in anyone from out of town would end up costing a lot I would think. Still waiting to hear any firm dates on our work since they've pushed us back on PW and now seems like even the solar work. Have the permit done, guess it's good for a year. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the photos. The roof tiles are eventually how I'd like us to go. Actually wanted it from day one but not doable with our new house at the time and now still have too many years on the current roof. Thanks for the photos. Will be following along with the work.

The project started!

• Roofing crew
  • Tear off - 2 days

Thanks for the photos!