Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass Roof - V3 - any customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My roof is 2255 sqft and they gave me a range of 8.04 kw to 13.51 kw, depending on how many active solar tiles I install. According to the proposal, the entirety of my roof is capable of active solar tiles.

"the entirety of my roof is capable of active solar tiles." Trying to visualize this. Is you entire roof normally in sunshine, like a flat roof?

The setbacks aren't 3' with my v2 roof, there are PV Modules as close as one full tile (~14" wide) horizontally from the roof edges or flashings/ridges, etc., and one row (~8" high) vertically (for example the full bottom row of tiles is non-producing, but the second row is mostly PV Modules). Now I still don't understand how the bigger tiles in v3 work w.r.t. the non-producing "tiles" (or whatever fills-in these spaces other than tiles, since there's supposed to be much less glass cutting with v3). Seems like the placement of the PV Modules (or whatever they're called now) must not be quite as flexible in v3 since they're bigger, but waiting to see any detailed shots/explanation of how v3 works or some actual installs.

Of course it's worth noting that setback requirements probably have some regional influence, that said I've heard lots of times that San Jose is one of the most conservative areas w.r.t. codes & inspections. At least they don't require separate AC disconnect boxes out here.

Is your signature picture a view of your roof? If so, how big is the roof and how much of it is active versus passive? And what is the orientation of the house.

Is your signature picture a view of your roof? If so, how big is the roof and how much of it is active versus passive? And what is the orientation of the house.

Yes, it is, and it's all described in the thread linked from my signature. But to summarize, mine was 'max solar' (since I think that's about all the v2 installs they were willing to do), ~57% producing on a ~2100 sqft surface. "Up" in the picture is roughly ENE.

Do you mind sharing the ballpark price before and after federal tax credit and whether it includes Powerwall(s)?

Also, are they guaranteeing In writing the 30% tax credit?

For an 8kw system with 2 PowerWalls: ~$58k, or ~$47k after ITC.
For a 13.5kw system with 3 PowerWalls: ~$79k, or ~$62k after ITC.

There is no written guarantee, as “All financial values are estimates” and this is only a proposal and not the actual contract.

The three feet perimeter requirement applies to solar panels installed ON a roof. This is to allow safe access to the roof. With a solar roof there are no obstruction as the solar panel is in the solar roof tile.

Curious where you get this information? Roof clearances are not only for safe access but when at the ridge for venting opportunities, which would not shock humans, when a power saw is taken to the roof.

I order in the beginning of November no call yet but I’m in Florida most likely in December I guess

I did order and reserve back in 2017 but when they called they said who knows when it will get to Florida so a year later canceled, but I guess I’m back in the waiting list , anyone in Florida or in Miami gotten any progress?

For an 8kw system with 2 PowerWalls: ~$58k, or ~$47k after ITC.
For a 13.5kw system with 3 PowerWalls: ~$79k, or ~$62k after ITC.

There is no written guarantee, as “All financial values are estimates” and this is only a proposal and not the actual contract.

Hi, did the quote they provide match the online quote, if you were to have the same size system as recommended ok the websitr? I guess another way to rephrase the questions is... does the new quote include any additional fees that wasn't in the original online quote? Wondering if the online quote is all inclusive and covers permitting and such. Thanks

The online quote is just an estimate, since it can't possibly know what structural repairs, code upgrades, etc. might be necessary for a house roof, and is even an estimate of the dimensions. That can only be determined once a site surveyor comes out and inspects things, measures the true dimensions, etc. My roof needed new fascia boards (which I knew about), had an extra expense for an additional roofing layer that needed to be removed, asbestos abatement, adding gutters, and a code upgrade requirement to the incoming power feed (fixing something a highly-rated electrician screwed-up in a kitchen remodel/service upgrade 10 years ago). But once the quote was given they held to exactly that number for me (even after a few more surprises that required some minor structural repairs on some rafters), and it included everything except for permitting, which they made clear from the beginning would be extra.

Reactions: nativewolf
Question for folks (that I’ve submitted to the Energy black hole email address already...)

We have a renovation + small addition planned for early 2020 and need a full reroof, but our design is going to be a bit complicated. Is anybody aware of Tesla turning down projects due to outright complicated designs? (I’m talking a few peaks, a “swail” with 2 hips, several dormers, a cricket, etc.)

I also fear they won’t be offering it in Pennsylvania for many months so we may be SOL regardless, but I’d hate to think we have a chance of getting it only to have them deny it due to it being too complicated.

Question for folks (that I’ve submitted to the Energy black hole email address already...)

We have a renovation + small addition planned for early 2020 and need a full reroof, but our design is going to be a bit complicated. Is anybody aware of Tesla turning down projects due to outright complicated designs? (I’m talking a few peaks, a “swail” with 2 hips, several dormers, a cricket, etc.)

I also fear they won’t be offering it in Pennsylvania for many months so we may be SOL regardless, but I’d hate to think we have a chance of getting it only to have them deny it due to it being too complicated.

My roof was turned down. Here is the google image.

Roof.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Off to do some more research now on metal roof + thin panel solar. I assume it’s still possible to get Powerwalls installed even if you go with a different solar provider?
Yes - I have Powerwalls with solar installed prior by a different company. Note that they used to have a list of compatible inverters, but now say "Since Powerwall 2 is an AC coupled solution, it is compatible with all inverter types." (see Combining Systems | Powerwall Support). It might still be prudent to make sure there is no compatibility issue before installing a less common inverter.