Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass Roof - V3 - any customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For an 8kw system with 2 PowerWalls: ~$58k, or ~$47k after ITC.
For a 13.5kw system with 3 PowerWalls: ~$79k, or ~$62k after ITC.

There is no written guarantee, as “All financial values are estimates” and this is only a proposal and not the actual contract.

Will they quote it without powerwalls? Is the wall a requirement to doing a V3 project?

my wife and i reserved solar roof on product launch of v1. we wanted the smooth tiles and all information leading up to the latest product announcement was that smooth glass is on the side lines. so i called up tesla and fired off an email asking about timelines. as we are in dire need of a new roof soon. got an email back on oct 30th which said send us a utility bill and we will order some satellite imagery.

still no new information and my checking in email has still been unanswered...

• Informative
Reactions: JustMe
my wife and i reserved solar roof on product launch of v1. we wanted the smooth tiles and all information leading up to the latest product announcement was that smooth glass is on the side lines. so i called up tesla and fired off an email asking about timelines. as we are in dire need of a new roof soon. got an email back on oct 30th which said send us a utility bill and we will order some satellite imagery.

still no new information and my checking in email has still been unanswered...

After we have submitted our electricity bill about there weeks ago, they came back to us last week for the pictures of our electric panel and the meter. After they received these, they said the same thing to us as well. We are thinking to add solar skylights and tubes and asked about it. They said they would prepare the proposal separately . Our roof is leaking when there is a heavy rain. Hope they will get back to us sooner. .

After we have submitted our electricity bill about there weeks ago, they came back to us last week for the pictures of our electric panel and the meter. After they received these, they said the same thing to us as well. We are thinking to add solar skylights and tubes and asked about it. They said they would prepare the proposal separately . Our roof is leaking when there is a heavy rain. Hope they will get back to us sooner. .

We just got the same request for the power meter and panel pictures. I gather they want the serial numbers.

FYI. The web site asks you one at a time (i.e. upload this picture, you click next, now upload this picture, you click next, now upload this other picture, ...) for a series of pictures. To save some hassle of running back and forth here are the pictures they want.
  • Meter close up to read serial #s
  • The meter, outside panel and general environment around it, including the ground, from 3 different angles. We did front, left side, right side which showed a gate to the backyard. Pictures showed the meter panel and the gas meter that was below and to the left of meter panel.
  • The utility cutoff switch(es).
  • Your switch panel and sub-panels for the individual circuits in the home. For each of these they want:
    • The panel switches with legible labels
    • The panel's manufacturer sticker

Tesla switched from having someone come and gather that information to having the customer take their own pictures earlier this year, and for panels it probably makes some sense to cut costs. But it seems silly to me for a Solarglass Roof since someone is still going to have to come out to take detailed measurements of everything, inspect the attic/etc. to understand what structural/code updates might be necessary, etc. anyway, to give a proper estimate. I guess they might be using the customer's photos along with the satellite shots to determine which jobs are 'easier' and perhaps move them up on the list or something, dunno.

uh... what the hell? is it really that hard to send someone to do that *sugar* properly?

I think the idea is to get the information early so they can give a better quote. No one benefits from Tesla making an assumption that your electrical installations are up to date, done to code, and generating an estimate for say $35K. And then coming out and see you have 1950 wiring, a poorly wired panel, and that you need an extra $10K worth of upgrades before they can start. That new price of $45K just creates hard feelings all around, used time from busy inspectors/installers, and requires a new round of quotes and approvals.

So I am quite happy they want to do as much as possible up front. I want them to get me a quote I can sign with more confidence that the bottom line is the bottom line.

Reactions: EinSV
Tesla switched from having someone come and gather that information to having the customer take their own pictures earlier this year, and for panels it probably makes some sense to cut costs. But it seems silly to me for a Solarglass Roof since someone is still going to have to come out to take detailed measurements of everything, inspect the attic/etc. to understand what structural/code updates might be necessary, etc. anyway, to give a proper estimate. I guess they might be using the customer's photos along with the satellite shots to determine which jobs are 'easier' and perhaps move them up on the list or something, dunno.

if it is like other solar installers I have worked with, they use satellite to get the initial quote created. Then you review the quote and pay a non-refundable fee to move to the next phase, a site survey. That is when they come out crawl around the attic, etc. and use that information to create a updated/final quote. My guess is that they do this because the number of customer that drop off at the initial quote stage is large.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZappCatt
We got a quote today. $75K for 12.75 KW and 2 - Powerwalls 2. Active panels one every section of roof. They face S, W, and N.

Quote for 9.6 KW (Panasonic panels + Solar Edge optimizers and inverter) and nice tile roof from another company was right at $62K. Add a Powerwall or two and you are easily at or exceedingTesla's price.

Leaning toward moving forward.

One question is whether 12.7 KW is too big.

Good to hear they are moving forward with these quotes. I still haven’t heard anything, but my project would involve removing leased Solarcity panels so that might slow down the process on their end.

Is that price before or after FTC and also how much would the credit amount to according to the quote?

Good to hear they are moving forward with these quotes. I still haven’t heard anything, but my project would involve removing leased Solarcity panels so that might slow down the process on their end.

Is that price before or after FTC and also how much would the credit amount to according to the quote?

Before. FTC is $15K, so $60K outlay.

A few more numbers.

According to power bills last year we used: 14.8 KW
We own 2 Teslas. Model X and Model 3 LR.

They proposed 2 systems.

Max Solar
Proposed system size is: 12.75 kW
Project annual energy production: 12.09 kWh
2 Powerwalls
Purchase price: $75,432

Standard (meets current energy needs)

Proposed system size is: 9.53 kW
Project annual energy production: 9.98 kWh
0 Powerwalls
Purchase price: $50,938

Here is layout for Max Solar. All roofs have some active tiles.

Solar-layout.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller