Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass Roof - V3 - any customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming you have a System Price Sheet, the first Solar Roof lineitem should give the number of estimated square feet for your roof.

Ok thanks for telling me were to look. I found it and a few more details on the System Price Sheet.

Solarglass: 2896 sq feet . Much more roof area than I thought.

Approximate Installation Start Date: 3-6 months from contract signing

Payments:
Payment 1 - 50% at materials delivery - $37K
Payment 2 - 50% a completion of installation - $37K

^^^
so no one thinks this is weird and a bit shitty?

Another person said they got a "no thanks" email because of too many roof levels. I would give the 800 number in Vegas a call and ask them what is up.

If I read you posts correctly you have a V 1 or 2 order already. I wonder if some went in and killed those. The V3 only requires a $100 refundable deposit, so maybe they were sending you $1000 back for that deposit and you need to send in $100 for the V3.

Given that Tesla goal of making solar like ordering a car, my guess is communications is going to be via email or text with the minimal amount of humans involved.

so i got a response voicemail and email after my wtf email on Saturday.

Tesla engineering said the roof was too small or complicated so they took it upon themselves to refund without explanation. my rep said its under the minimal install size, which is the same thing solar city told me 3 years ago about standard panels. glad to see the product DESIGNED FOR smaller / more complicated setups is really hitting its mark.

i asked what the system size would have been but have no response, which is fine given the time of year.

guess i should have just gotten a roof back in 2016 and been done with it...

so i got a response voicemail and email after my wtf email on Saturday.

Tesla engineering said the roof was too small or complicated so they took it upon themselves to refund without explanation. my rep said its under the minimal install size, which is the same thing solar city told me 3 years ago about standard panels. glad to see the product DESIGNED FOR smaller / more complicated setups is really hitting its mark.

i asked what the system size would have been but have no response, which is fine given the time of year.

guess i should have just gotten a roof back in 2016 and been done with it...

Definitely not good on Tesla's part. Come on Tesla, you can do better!

Does anyone know what the minimum roof size is? I thought it was mentioned previously in this thread but I wasn't able to find it. Our south facing roof surface is 42' x 11' with no obstructions - hopefully not too small.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-26-at-4.16.10-PM.png

Thanks,

Does anyone know what the minimum roof size is? I thought it was mentioned previously in this thread but I wasn't able to find it. Our south facing roof surface is 42' x 11' with no obstructions - hopefully not too small.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-26-at-4.16.10-PM.png

Thanks,

Hard to say. I think it may be more to do with roof space in general, shading, angle the sun hits your roof, roof pitch, etc. When we got bids from "conventional" solar panel they only had panels on the south facing roofs. But on the Solarglass plan I posted earlier, you can see that for our roof has active tiles on both North and South facing parts of the roof. The total roof size is close to 2,900 sq ft.

Also, we have an inspection in a couple of weeks. I am worried the they guy will come out and say "forget about it" when he sees the 2 story high oak in the backyard.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Yep, we've a few trees to the south but analysis' by a couple of different solar folks for panels didn't indicate a significant problem from them as is. We are also planning to trim them as necessary for better solar production. March thru Sep the trees do not shade the roof at all. Worst is Dec that gets to about 48.2% unshaded (not sure what effect lack of leaves has though). Annual average is 87.3% unshaded.

Roof pitch is 42° with ideal for this latitude being 44.6° so relatively good on that.

B1200MoreDetails-113.jpg

My home was denied yesterday for v3 Solar roof. They said there isn’t enough working space to meet minimum system size. The roof is about 1600 sf but with seven different planes, so a lot of ridges, which I believe all require certain clearances from active tiles.

It took them 10 weeks from deposit date to let me know but not too big a deal- I’m now considering panels and a new roof instead.

My home was denied yesterday for v3 Solar roof. They said there isn’t enough working space to meet minimum system size. The roof is about 1600 sf but with seven different planes, so a lot of ridges, which I believe all require certain clearances from active tiles.

It took them 10 weeks from deposit date to let me know but not too big a deal- I’m now considering panels and a new roof instead.

Sorry to hear about this.

As I understand it they need 3 feet on either side of a ridge of non-active tiles for the firefighters to chop vent holes and not hit a live panel.

Reactions: preilly44
Thanks for posting about your rejection. We’re almost positive we’ll get denied for the same reasons (too many complex shapes and none big enough to accommodate the new sized tiles) and are considering replacing our roof with a standing seam metal roof with solar film that lays in between the ridges. TBD if this will be feasible, but theoretically it should work.

Thanks for posting about your rejection. We’re almost positive we’ll get denied for the same reasons (too many complex shapes and none big enough to accommodate the new sized tiles) and are considering replacing our roof with a standing seam metal roof with solar film that lays in between the ridges. TBD if this will be feasible, but theoretically it should work.

I have a standing seem roof with 22 kW of Mia Sole thin film panels and it works very well.

I placed my Solar Glass V3 order on 10/26 and things moved quickly. Site survey was completed a few weeks ago and the installation is scheduled to start on 1/15. The system design is 9.1 kW, two power walls and 3000 sf of roofing for a system cost of $66k including installation, permits, etc. before rebates.

Sounds great. I hope our time between survey and install is that short. Our survey is on Jan 15th or so . Can you tell me what they did during the survey? Was there anything you needed to prepare, or should have had prepared?

Can you tell me what they did during the survey? Was there anything you needed to prepare, or should have had prepared?

The survey took about 4 hours and they'll need access to the attic, roof, and yard. Someone will need to be home during the survey. In my case, no other prep needed and no price adjustments were made after the onsite survey. Now I just gotta pray for no rain the week of my install.