Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass Roof - V3 - any customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar and boed
Anyone know of someone getting a Tesla Solar glass install on a new home? I'd like to do this but so far all I've seens is replacement roofing. I'm wondering if they can do an analysis on a house without a roof by blueprint and lot layout.

This could be risky. Your home could be ready to move in to with the exception of the roof, and Tesla could tell you they need 3-6 months to install the roof. Now your entire home is on hold while you are waiting around for a roof.

Reactions: boed
Anyone know of someone getting a Tesla Solar glass install on a new home? I'd like to do this but so far all I've seens is replacement roofing. I'm wondering if they can do an analysis on a house without a roof by blueprint and lot layout.

They are working on our new build. We've actual buildings in place now though which makes it easier. In our case the Solar Glass is going on my studio (bottom of image) which is located behind our main house. We've had a temp roof of Grace I&W with plastic underlayment over that until the Solar Glass is complete.
B1200Studio03a-100.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Compton
They are working on our new build. We've actual buildings in place now though which makes it easier. In our case the Solar Glass is going on my studio (bottom of image) which is located behind our main house. We've had a temp roof of Grace I&W with plastic underlayment over that until the Solar Glass is complete.
View attachment 512198

Wow! What a set up! Will you be supplying power to main house from the roof or just the studio?

Wow! What a set up! Will you be supplying power to main house from the roof or just the studio?
Thanks. Solar will supply both. Grid service entrance and main breaker panel is at the studio for that reason. That panel has four 200 amp feeds; Studio, Main Protected, Main 2 and Main 3. Solar & PW's will supply the studio and Main Protected. I doubt (and hope) that we'll never use anywhere near all of the available power but that's what's required to meet code.

Thanks. Solar will supply both. Grid service entrance and main breaker panel is at the studio for that reason. That panel has four 200 amp feeds; Studio, Main Protected, Main 2 and Main 3. Solar & PW's will supply the studio and Main Protected. I doubt (and hope) that we'll never use anywhere near all of the available power but that's what's required to meet code.
Dang. That's a lot of power. What is the service size rating and transformer size serving your property?

When I had my house built on an empty lot between two other houses there was a very old 25kVA transformer serving the three lots. I added a 320A service (~75kVA) and they upgraded the transformer to a new 50kVA unit.

View attachment 512198
Wow - I love your oginal house! My goal is to build a new house on a lake.

Wow - I love your oginal house! My goal is to build a new house on a lake.
Thanks. More here if you're interested: Bamasotan

Our #1 priority was to be somewhere we could safely and comfortably walk or ride bicycles for many of our daily trips like eating, grocery, pharmacy, etc. - our old age health plan. Second priority was to be on a recreational lake. I think we did as well as we could in the walking and biking unfriendly U.S.

I placed a deposit for a Solar Roof a few weeks ago. I heard from a Tesla rep yesterday. He asked me a few questions and let me know I would hear from someone regarding my home in 4 weeks. If I approve the quote, I could expect an installation to begin anywhere from 2-6 months, and it would take 9-12 days to complete. Sounds like they are really busy.

Did solar glass drop in price? My quote of $53k ($45k after incentives) just dropped to $46k ($38k after incentives) for a 10.3 kW system.

I just got quotes for a new asphalt roof at $20k. Looks like I'm back into thinking about Solar Glass again. Looks like its close to the cost of solar deal where $21k gets a 11kW system.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and Compton
Did solar glass drop in price? My quote of $53k ($45k after incentives) just dropped to $46k ($38k after incentives) for a 10.3 kW system.

I just got quotes for a new asphalt roof at $20k. Looks like I'm back into thinking about Solar Glass again. Looks like its close to the cost of solar deal where $21k gets a 11kW system.

When did you get the original quote?

I received the original quote about a month ago then I went to look for asphalt roof quotes. I need a new roof as mine is 40 years old. Seems like it's a better buy to get solar glass. Now the downpayment is semi-non refundable, I want to make sure I'm 100% ready to pull the trigger.

Definitely looks like a price drop then.

Our installation started today. Can't wait to have it up and running. Which seems really strange to say about a roof.