Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass Roof - V3 - any customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Within a few weeks of submitting an order, Tesla came back with a design, and a cost of $50k after tax credits, about $14,000 more than the original estimate. The estimated energy production was too low for the payback time to make any sense. In addition, I'm in NY, and one thing we really don't know yet is how well these roofs fare under snow. I'd have been willing to take the risk if I'd been assured of a decent return on the solar investment.

So I canceled the order, with some chagrin. I'd love to further describe the design Tesla came up with, but it became inaccessible as soon as I reviewed it. (Website glitch, probably.)

Within a few weeks of submitting an order, Tesla came back with a design, and a cost of $50k after tax credits, about $14,000 more than the original estimate. The estimated energy production was too low for the payback time to make any sense. In addition, I'm in NY, and one thing we really don't know yet is how well these roofs fare under snow. I'd have been willing to take the risk if I'd been assured of a decent return on the solar investment.

So I canceled the order, with some chagrin. I'd love to further describe the design Tesla came up with, but it became inaccessible as soon as I reviewed it. (Website glitch, probably.)
Thanks for the update. I am still waiting for the design/quote for my house but my location works well for solar.

Re: pt1- that’s pretty common and expect it to go up after the site visit and during install for things to come up.

RE: PT2 - also common, missing contract revisions, random changes... just SOME of the things to look forward to during a v3 install. I’m told it’s gotten better, but judging by your experience vs mine, many months ago, it hasn’t.

I can say that it certainly looks amazing and transformed the look of the home as well as helped us to start down the rabbit hole of finding what was drawing the most juice and needing to be replaced with efficient versions. Only the new heat pump water heater left to go!

One thing I wish for others to think about, is the noise. If you live in an area with hail/lots of rain fall... it may or may not bother you at how loud it is. Also, realize that you’ve got many different materials working at different expansion and contraction rates, odd noises are a constant.
I’m still not used to them.

Where are you located? We don't get much hail in Northern CA, but plenty of heat in the summer.

One thing I noticed is the roof can be blinding when it reflects sunlight. I hope our roof is not too big a hazard on summer afternoons for people driving down the street.

With the V3 roof they have some rather large metal sections on the edges to fill gaps since they do not cut any glass. So far (1 week) I have not noticed any noise. But maybe in the summer's heat we will hear more.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ra88it
Was talking to Tesla powerwall technicians yesterday and they were telling me that they are ramping up the number of solar roof crews like crazy in bay area.

They definitely are. They are primary expanding by taking their currently trained Tesla people (former Solar City) that did the first installs and pair them with outside contractors. Our crew is one of these. They seem to be doing a good job so far. But progress takes a while.

One of the flaws of system for faster installs is the use of the Firestone underlayment. When it gets wet from rain or even morning dew it is like ice to walk on. Therefore they have to wait for the sun to dry it out. That means starting at 9:30 instead of 7:30. They compensate by working later, but there is only so much sunlight in a day.

Tell Justin or Joe I said hello. If you get to meet *redacted* or *redacted*, you’re in great hands.

My roof has decided to leak in this relatively light storm. I don’t recommend SGv3 to anyone that has room for ground mount PV or a different source of RE with powerwalls.

Sorry to hear about your leaks. So far our roof is water-tight which is more than I can say for the older tile roof they removed. It was our 3rd 30-50 year tile roof in 25 years.

Hi all, new to the forum here
I’m down in Southern Cali and our solar glass roof install was completed late Jan. Somehow we’re still waiting for approval by the power company to turn on our system. Apparently the PV modules Tesla installed and submitted for inspection aren’t yet approved for use in CA. Anyone have the same issue? My PV modules are model #SRT60T1. Tesla says they are checking with SDG&E daily, and SDG&E says they are waiting for Tesla to do something.‍♀️♀️

Approved modules are on the GoSolar website:
PV Modules

Reactions: willow_hiller
Do you have something other than the textured tiles everyone else is getting? As far as I know the only v3 PV Module that exists right now is the textured one, which is SR60T1 (not SRT60T1), and SR60T1 is listed in the spreadsheet I downloaded from your link. So it sounds to me like it's a big mess around a typo. Tesla's convention so far has been SR (Solar Roof) NN (rough peak wattage of PV Module, v1 was 25, v2 was 24 and v3 is 60) X (S=smooth, T=textured) N (??, revision maybe?).

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 3.11.56 AM.png

Thanks Woferry.
Dangit! I just checked my diagram and it was indeed SR60T1. That was my typo on the forum. Sorry guys!!

So I then wonder what the problem is. I have real trouble getting any response from Tesla. Let me try calling again. SDGE said on the phone the problem was the battery but on their email it said PV modules.

Sad thing is there are multiple issues with that label, I'd have expected Tesla to do better. The Pmax should be 58-something, 24 (really 23.75) was the v2 SR24T3-2 value. Per multiple other sources I've seen (including the spreadsheet from a few posts back, snippet attached) the Isc should be 5.65A, again 8.4 (really 8.35) was the v2 value. The Voc should be 13.3V, 3.8 was the v2 value. The Imp should be 5.32A and the Vmp should be 11.0V, both of those label numbers are (wait for it) the v2 numbers.

So it looks like they took the v2 label (I never actually saw one of these on my job, all of my PV Modules came in simple strapping with a handle, I never saw the outer box they came in) and updated the part number and dimensions, but didn't update anything else. :p And I've seen that label pictured on some newer jobs also, so it seems like they never bothered to fix it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 11.19.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 11.19.51 AM.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Nothing other than textured has been made. Revisions still being made to textured and various other base components. Like black flashing and the “grippy” version of the Firestone underlayment being approved.

as woferry stated, I have SR60T1 and also believe this to be an issue with your energy provider and Tesla.

not that I recommend doing something like this... but who’s to say that the inverters couldn’t be turned on, with a TEG in-line but no PTO?

Where did you find that sticker?