Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarroof.cool

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh hey, this is me! Thanks for sharing a link. I'm happy to answer any questions about the roof.

Thanks for the great site. Very nicely laid out too and easy read. We’re in the process of getting the Solar panels/PowerWall installation but my first preference if our roof wasn’t as new as it is, would be the solar tiles. Told my husband I didn’t want to go solar until then but then the PG&E shutdown happened and now we can have PowerWall back up so it’s what it is and know I’ll be grateful to have later in the year. Will be following the questions people ask.

Last edited:
Nice site. Very easy to read and follow. I intend to read it thoroughly. Only one question. Do you get referral credit if someone gets a solarglass roof? I read somewhere if they get solar you get the referral credit, but not for a Solarglass roof.

We are waiting for all installation to start, hopefully middle of Feb.

Thanks for the great site. Very nicely laid out too and easy read. We’re in the process of getting the Solar panels/PowerWall installation but my first preference if our roof wasn’t as new as it is, would be the solar tiles. Told my husband I didn’t want to go solar until then but then the PG&E shutdown happened and now we can have PowerWall back up so it’s what it is and know I’ll be grateful to have later in the year. Will be following the questions people ask.

I think the PG&E PSPS are going to sell a lot of PowerWalls. 3 days of being out of power (closest fire 30 miles away) was enough for us to add 2 PowerWalls to the order.

Oh hey, this is me! Thanks for sharing a link. I'm happy to answer any questions about the roof.

So I just finished reading your website while sitting here at work, when I should be working. I Loved it! I also signed up for your newsletter, and I have an old iPad sitting around just waiting for this data to be shown for my system on it (solar + Powerwall) - lol.

I just have the tesla app open on it, showing the circles that show live energy usage, but would LOVE (love love) it to be the data you have on your screen there.

Nice work, and awesome work on the website, I really enjoyed reading through it, and learned some things even though I already have solar and powerwalls.

So I just finished reading your website while sitting here at work, when I should be working. I Loved it! I also signed up for your newsletter, and I have an old iPad sitting around just waiting for this data to be shown for my system on it (solar + Powerwall) - lol.

I just have the tesla app open on it, showing the circles that show live energy usage, but would LOVE (love love) it to be the data you have on your screen there.

Nice work, and awesome work on the website, I really enjoyed reading through it, and learned some things even though I already have solar and powerwalls.

Yeah, that’s exactly what the sign up is for. (It’ll be really easy to turn it into a product if I think it could pay for the servers/bandwidth (there’s a good chunk of automation and resources needed to do real-time dashboards times so many users) and also maybe get me, like, a fancy dinner a month on top of that.) Thanks!

You mentioned you have roof planes at 3 different azimuths, and you have 3 different inverters. Is it one azimuth per inverter? I assume that all the tiles on a given MPPT input to an inverter need to be at the same azimuth.

Also, do you know the Voc of an individual tile?

Cheers, Wayne

You mentioned you have roof planes at 3 different azimuths, and you have 3 different inverters. Is it one azimuth per inverter? I assume that all the tiles on a given MPPT input to an inverter need to be at the same azimuth.

That's certainly not true for mine, I have one inverter channel that has two strings of 70 v2 modules (~24Wp each) connected together with a Y, one string on the front-facing roof and the other on one side of the garage (left side in my avatar).

Also, do you know the Voc of an individual tile?

For v3 textured (SR60T1) it's 13.34V

Cheers, Wayne
It's a matter of distance. The garage has its own inverter and has the strings from both planes of that roof. Then the house has two inverters, one that takes two strings and another that takes its own one. (I have no understanding why the house has two inverters over just one.)

Great website.
Do they have to cut any tiles on site or do they have enough different lengths so that is no longer necessary?
Are any tiles cut at an angle or is the metal trim at the corners really wide enough to cover the stair step arrangement of tiles all cut at 90 degrees?
Do you know if the non solar tiles use tempered glass like to solar tiles do? In the previous versions, they weren’t because they had to be cut. That then concerned me that they wouldn’t be as hail resistant as the tempered tiles.

Yeah, that’s exactly what the sign up is for. (It’ll be really easy to turn it into a product if I think it could pay for the servers/bandwidth (there’s a good chunk of automation and resources needed to do real-time dashboards times so many users) and also maybe get me, like, a fancy dinner a month on top of that.) Thanks!

Ok, sounds good. as an FYI though, for me specifically, i am not interested in paying a monthly subscription fee. I have no problem in paying for something, and I would happily pay to buy an app or something to get this functionality, but I loath monthly subscriptions. I would rather pay $50 than "2.99 a month" or something.

So, if you turn it into a product that I can purchase, totally interested. If its a monthly subsciption, I would pass on it. Since there is no product yet, figured I would give my feedback on it.

I have one inverter channel that has two strings of 70 v2 modules (~24Wp each) connected together with a Y, one string on the front-facing roof and the other on one side of the garage (left side in my avatar).
Thanks for the info, I hadn't realized that would work.

But after some research I see that as long as the strings have the same Voc, the MPP voltage for the two strings are typically very close to each other. So a single MPPT optimizing both strings in parallel comes very close to the performance of separate MPPTs for each string.

The main downside is when the two strings have different levels of shading, then their Voc would differ if wired separately. But when wired in parallel, the string voltages have to be the same, so the more shaded string is negatively impacting the less shaded string.

Cheers, Wayne

Then the house has two inverters, one that takes two strings and another that takes its own one. (I have no understanding why the house has two inverters over just one.)

Did Tesla give you the solar wiring diagram? If not it might have been attached to your initial interconnect email from PG&E (at the start of the project). It's probably either that there was too much power for a single inverter, or more likely trying to put the strings together on two channels of one inverter would have either resulted in too much voltage or too much current. Sounds like it's probably a Solivia 5.2TL and a 3.8TL on the house? And another 5.2TL on the garage, or something smaller?

Do you know if the non solar tiles use tempered glass like to solar tiles do? In the previous versions, they weren’t because they had to be cut. That then concerned me that they wouldn’t be as hail resistant as the tempered tiles.

FYI, in v2 Tesla had non-cut-able (tempered) roofing modules (non-producing) in both 1-tile and 3-tile configurations. Then the cut-able (non-tempered) tiles were either 1-tile or 2-tile. So the only place the non-tempered tiles were used was where they had to be, around flashings and at the edges (most places where there's >1 tile it tempered even if it's non-producing, the reason for the 2-tile non-tempered is cases where the top part wouldn't be wide enough to support the bracket mounting, so it depends on the tile space next to it). My understanding is that they don't cut any tiles in v3 (so presumably it's all tempered), and instead fill in the gaps with metal.