Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold a New Car, Found out its Used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like others have said, if you are not satisfied then I would return it. If you think you just need a day or so to cool down and see if they will make it right that is an option as well. Being a showroom car it may have a bit of wear and tear on the interior that should be restored to new if you are not receiving a discount. The tire alignment may be simple enough. I have had good experience with the Dania Beach service center.

Ok. Let’s look at the whole picture here. Other than alignment fix and the small scuff marks on the bottom of the seat, is there anything else wrong with the car? If not, then keep it. You will have those same scuff marks after a couple of months of ownership. There is no way around it. The hassle of returning the car is no way worth it if all you need is a trip to the SC for an alignment.

Last edited:
If you can wait until a week or two (not the day) before this quarter ends, you will almost certainly find a new "inventory" car for thousands less than your net on this car, even with its higher tax credit.

Also by waiting until the last week or so to try to pick up a car, you will also likely find demos and test drive cars as those get released by management, and maybe those cars rejected for one reason or another (not always issue related can also be change of color or wheels etc) being made available. Some of those they will discount on, others as we've seen on the forum, not. This one with 30 miles and a few minor issues, apparently not. The steering wheel adjustment is not a major issue. I suspect if the OP had decided not to take the car when they brought up the scuff and other issues to the DA, someone else interested in a blue with $3750 fed credit who was okay with it, would have bought it. From what I could tell the Blue, available on lot, was a sought after color at the end of quarter for a quick purchase. Sounds like a number of people wanting blue ended up settling for another color because they couldn't locate one locally in time.

Kind of an aside but to show how demo cars were snapped up, a friend of ours in Long Island decided Saturday to look at Teslas. He had just come from an Audi dealer. We told him about our cars and he scheduled a test drive online Saturday night. He got a call Sunday morning saying they would have to reschedule as all of their test drive cars had been sold and not one anywhere in the area.

OP what was the deal with your issues with supercharger miles that you mentioned in your initial post? Also did you mean to say the Blue car came with 18 inch wheels? Upgrading to 19 inch wheels now costs $2000 and you mentioned $1500 so I'm confused. Maybe the price of the 19 inch slipstream went up otherwise?

Last edited:
I have insider knowledge on this situation. She was told the car had been sitting in a parking lot for two months, but remained suspicious after taking the car, and was only informed AFTER taking the car that it had been a demo. Keep in mind...there was a lot of pressure to take the car in large part because of the expiring tax credit. The concerns upon taking the car were felt to be probably just cosmetic and so she was willing to bite the bullet on a detail.

But now...knowing the car was sitting in a very busy shopping mall for those two months...there are concerns that more problems will become apparent before long. A Tesla employee who works at this shopping mall advised her to return it. The car was picked up in West Palm Beach, BTW...NOT at the shopping mall in Aventura.

The car only had 30 miles on it because it was not a drivable demo, but it does sound like thousands of people were free to enter and exit the car at will. Who knows what kind of stress was put on the steering wheel, or the seats, or whatever else. Who knows how many times the doors or the trunk or frunk were open and closed, slammed shut, etc.

The car's going back.

I will say that there have been a number of posts I've read in the last two years of people buying showroom demo cars and can't recall hearing anyone later saying they had any problems with them afterwards, and given the nature of the forum probably would have. So if she was willing to accept and buy the car based on what she saw, I wouldn't necessarily assume that there will be subsequent issues arising from people sitting in the car while it was on display. She has the full 8 year or 120k mi. warranty on the battery/drive unit & 4 year or 50k mi. new vehicle limited warranty on the car. I personally wouldn't be all that worried but she should feel good about what she is buying.

From the original post it sounds like she traded in a car, so will she be without a car in the meantime? Refunds on returns as others have said can take up to two months.

Last edited:
Yeah this is not going to work long-term. It is too much money to spend on something and hope it turns out OK. How much nicer would it be if you could see, test drive, and buy the car all at the same place and time?
With the mall demo cars I always wonder how many times someone used the emergency door release because they didn’t know how to use the electronic button to open the door.
Haha, so I know it's kinda next level but, I went to the mall and took some pics and video of the treatment of showroom cars and I even took my more level and sat in the backseat while many people got in and out the car. Only one person used the button and it was because he asked me how to open the door.

Why would you go to all the trouble of taking pics and video of the showroom cars to see how people sat in the cars. You have a window to return it, and clearly you are bothered by the fact it was a showroom car, so just return it and stop torturing yourself over it.

Reactions: sweetneet
I will say that there have been a number of posts I've read in the last two years of people buying showroom demo cars and can't recall hearing anyone later saying they had any problems with them afterwards, and given the nature of the forum probably would have. So if she was willing to accept and buy the car based on what she saw, I wouldn't necessarily assume that there will be subsequent issues arising from people sitting in the car while it was on display. She has the full 8 year or 120k mi. warranty on the battery/drive unit & 4 year or 50k mi. new vehicle limited warranty on the car. I personally wouldn't be all that worried but she should feel good about what she is buying.

From the original post it sounds like she traded in a car, so will she be without a car in the meantime? Refunds on returns as others have said can take up to two months.
Its ok that some people want showroom cars. They were told about it's condition and accepted a discounted price, knowing they would be accepting a used condition car.
On the other hand people willing to pay for a new condition car will pay more for a new product. I am one of those buyers who want a new condition car if I am buying a new car and paying new car cost. I would make a bet most Tesla's buyers expect to be getting a fully new car.

Unfortunately, will be living without a car. This is going to alter daily life and be a large and negative impact.
But, people don't realize how important and special it is to have the experience of buying your first brand new car. I've longed for it my entire adult life, then pulling the trigger to get what I got. Hope my next car will be a great experience. And I hope your Tesla stays nice and funtional!

Its ok that some people want showroom cars. They were told about it's condition and accepted a discounted price, knowing they would be accepting a used condition car.
On the other hand people willing to pay for a new condition car will pay more for a new product. I am one of those buyers who want a new condition car if I am buying a new car and paying new car cost. I would make a bet most Tesla's buyers expect to be getting a fully new car.

Unfortunately, will be living without a car. This is going to alter daily life and be a large and negative impact.
But, people don't realize how important and special it is to have the experience of buying your first brand new car. I've longed for it my entire adult life, then pulling the trigger to get what I got. Hope my next car will be a great experience. And I hope your Tesla stays nice and funtional!

I understand and hope your refund wait isn't that long and that you end up happy with your next car. I ordered mine online and had a 3 months wait for it. Had it since September and really have loved it. No issues. I am sorry it worked out the way it did for you, especially after trading in your other car.

Last edited:
My 2017 Model S was a showroom car. Never had any problems with it. Had 300 miles on it when I got it. But its status was disclosed and it came with a $4000 discount.

If I were the OP I would tell them you want to return it, but say that if they give you a meaningful showroom discount you'll be happy to keep it. Figure out what meaningful is to you. It should be an amount that makes you happy to keep the car. Obviously such an amount must exist, but it may be more that they are willing to give. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Reactions: 67King
Definitely either return it or ask for a showroom discount. Tons of people here have gotten demo showroom units at heavy discounts.

(I was originally sold one at a huge discount. Then few days before I was scheduled to pickup, turns out it had an accident history and they couldn’t sell it to me. So they sold me the same exact build brand new with the same price adjusted discounts. Needless to say, it is highly possible you can get a price adjustment)

Reactions: traxila
I understand and hope your refund wait isn't that long and that you end up happy with your next car. I ordered mine online and had a 3 months wait for it. Had it since September and really have loved it. No issues. I am sorry it worked out the way it did for you, especially after trading in your other car.

I ordered mine on line last month and got a factory car in my hands in eight days.

I have insider knowledge on this situation. She was told the car had been sitting in a parking lot for two months, but remained suspicious after taking the car, and was only informed AFTER taking the car that it had been a demo. Keep in mind...there was a lot of pressure to take the car in large part because of the expiring tax credit. The concerns upon taking the car were felt to be probably just cosmetic and so she was willing to bite the bullet on a detail.

But now...knowing the car was sitting in a very busy shopping mall for those two months...there are concerns that more problems will become apparent before long. A Tesla employee who works at this shopping mall advised her to return it. The car was picked up in West Palm Beach, BTW...NOT at the shopping mall in Aventura.

The car only had 30 miles on it because it was not a drivable demo, but it does sound like thousands of people were free to enter and exit the car at will. Who knows what kind of stress was put on the steering wheel, or the seats, or whatever else. Who knows how many times the doors or the trunk or frunk were open and closed, slammed shut, etc.

The car's going back.

Since the car only had 30 miles on it, it was not a DEMO, it was a DISPLAY model.
Since the car was probably never registered, it is still considered NEW, not used, which is why it was eligible for the tax credit.

But yes, they should have told her it was a display model.

Last edited:
I would not worry about the manual door opening. It will show up now as scratched trim or a broken window or torn weather strip if a problem.

But I do feel a discount is appropriate.

They probably typically roll these into test drive cats and then sell as new demo cars using the age/mileage rule for price reduction.

First impression, with a delivery advisor hovering over us was something is wrong with this car. It was very uncomfortable and many comments where made referring to using wanting to look at the car, we were rushed and told to take it or they will be removing it from us. A strategy to maybe force a buyer to accept a vehicle without an inspection, this is all after they demanded we sign papers and pay before even seeing the car. They were deeply offended when we refused to sign.
Moving past the delivery employees,

The car, well this care was not just dirty but, filthy. We asked what wrong with the car, was it detailed? How many people have been in the car? Why was the condition looking so poor. They countered with do we want it or not with no further details. I insisted enough that they came out with a spray bottle and wiped some scuff marks, they could not be removed. These scuff marks are deep into the plastic, on all four doors, door wells, and seats, especially the back seats and drivers door well. The pillars where multiple colored riddled with fingerprints, the same for visors and mirrors.

Obviously this was a clue right off the bat. I truly understand your excitement and anticipation, and you knew that advisor was lying through his teeth as soon as you saw the car. I waited 4 years for my MS. Having always bought new cars or demos, I would have shared your concern about the condition of the car. --especially after being told it was being detailed. Since there is such a demand for the M3s, I can't help but wonder if prior to your arrival, someone else was offered the car, turned it down, and then was offered YOUR car instead, leaving the advisor to convince you that this was your "new" car. Taking it back was the right thing to do.

PS: My last demo car purchase was a Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 with all the bells and whistles and a towing package. They knocked $4500 off their discount price (not the MSRP) because it had 200 miles on it. It was spotless.

With the mall demo cars I always wonder how many times someone used the emergency door release because they didn’t know how to use the electronic button to open the door.

That causes precisely zero damage. Try it. I’m not sure why there’s a warning. The window still comes down when you pull the latch, at least on the driver’s side when I tried it.

Reactions: brkaus
I ordered mine on line last month and got a factory car in my hands in eight days.

LOL All the difference a year can make in new car production. Not sure what the production line rate was when I ordered mine last June but I know there was still a long backlog of reservation holders ahead of me and then a lot of new orders coming in after me. My 3 month wait was worth it for me as I couldn't have gotten it any sooner as there weren't inventory cars available then (heck even stores then didn't have display models let alone test drive models) and I've enjoyed every day I've had it to drive in the meantime. My old car just wasn't worth keeping any longer and was relieved it made it to my Model 3 delivery!