Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold Car to Carvana Experience + Used Tesla Purchase Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going to try and make this quick and to the point.

Carvana
Sold my August 2019 build Model 3 SR+ with 21,700 miles to Carvana this morning. Great, trouble free experience - would recommend. Sold my 11month old, 21,700 mile white SR+ “bare bones” model for $35,500. That’s right, it lost $3,490 in 11months and 21,700 miles - you couldn’t lease a Model 3 @ 20,000miles a year for that depreciation.

Tesla
Great experience, just like the first time. Delivery was at the Decatur, GA service center this time in lieu of the Roswell, GA Service Center. In and out in 30mins, and car was as advertised.

I called my sales advisor from the first car on Monday. Let him know of my intentions - he looks into the inventory that apparently only Tesla employees can see, and he finds a low mileage 10/19 build 2020 LR AWD for $43,300. I pounce on it the same day, and I find myself watching my SR+ driving away around lunch today, before I take delivery of the new-to-me car a few hours later. I give credit to my sales advisor on this - very responsive and seems to get things done.

Cliffs
Sold 2019 white SR+ with 21,700 miles to Carvana for $35,500. Great experience. Amazing 11month depreciation.

Bought used 2020 White LR AWD with 2,700 miles for $43,300. Less than 1 week from order date to delivery of a used car that is local. Very happy with the experience.

Reason for selling the SR+ was the car has taken a range drop to 206-208 miles, and two Tesla remote battery diagnostics returned the typical “within spec” - owner not wanting to stick around and find out what the mileage will be in 4-5yrs. July-August-Sept 2019 build SR+ seem to experience this mileage drop while others seem to hold in the 220-228 range.

Wanting to share my experience mainly to those on the fence about selling to Carvana, and to bring attention to the fact that Carvana is giving good money for these cars at the moment. You could literally sell your 20k mile, 1 yr old car and buy a new SR+ for less than what it would have cost you to lease one for less mileage.

Pics attached of the old car and new car. My neighbor was asking what was going on after the Carvana truck left, and I told him my Tesla was “going to the shop” for its 1 yr refresh and get new 19” wheels installed. :p

SR+
40DFB9BC-D240-4AAB-915A-32B4CE327065.jpeg

95109836-C48F-416E-A38A-136F1758C99F.jpeg

D892B6EF-3AEF-4818-B760-9CC9943DF893.jpeg

4E40FE29-899B-4AB6-B03A-D286C3AE2EE3.jpeg

00F30F8F-BE3C-4D8C-984C-4B39A5A57825.jpeg

Attachments

• BFF629C9-77D8-48C6-82E2-577DF60AE4DD.jpeg
    BFF629C9-77D8-48C6-82E2-577DF60AE4DD.jpeg
    824 KB · Views: 51
Going to try and make this quick and to the point.

Carvana
Sold my August 2019 build Model 3 SR+ with 21,700 miles to Carvana this morning. Great, trouble free experience - would recommend. Sold my 11month old, 21,700 mile white SR+ “bare bones” model for $35,500. That’s right, it lost $3,490 in 11months and 21,700 miles - you couldn’t lease a Model 3 @ 20,000miles a year for that depreciation.

Tesla
Great experience, just like the first time. Delivery was at the Decatur, GA service center this time in lieu of the Roswell, GA Service Center. In and out in 30mins, and car was as advertised.

I called my sales advisor from the first car on Monday. Let him know of my intentions - he looks into the inventory that apparently only Tesla employees can see, and he finds a low mileage 10/19 build 2020 LR AWD for $43,300. I pounce on it the same day, and I find myself watching my SR+ driving away around lunch today, before I take delivery of the new-to-me car a few hours later. I give credit to my sales advisor on this - very responsive and seems to get things done.

Cliffs
Sold 2019 white SR+ with 21,700 miles to Carvana for $35,500. Great experience. Amazing 11month depreciation.

Bought used 2020 White LR AWD with 2,700 miles for $43,300. Less than 1 week from order date to delivery of a used car that is local. Very happy with the experience.

Reason for selling the SR+ was the car has taken a range drop to 206-208 miles, and two Tesla remote battery diagnostics returned the typical “within spec” - owner not wanting to stick around and find out what the mileage will be in 4-5yrs. July-August-Sept 2019 build SR+ seem to experience this mileage drop while others seem to hold in the 220-228 range.

Wanting to share my experience mainly to those on the fence about selling to Carvana, and to bring attention to the fact that Carvana is giving good money for these cars at the moment. You could literally sell your 20k mile, 1 yr old car and buy a new SR+ for less than what it would have cost you to lease one for less mileage.

Pics attached of the old car and new car. My neighbor was asking what was going on after the Carvana truck left, and I told him my Tesla was “going to the shop” for its 1 yr refresh and get new 19” wheels installed. :p

SR+
View attachment 571449

View attachment 571450
View attachment 571451
View attachment 571454
View attachment 571455

beautfil home and beautiful and neighborhood.

Heck yeah, great deal. Im looking to sell my 2020 SR+ to carvana (15K miles) when my Y gets ready, $35k would be great. Come on Y!! Should have not added the tow hitch.

Unless *sugar* hits the fan, I'd say you'll probably get at least $35. When you do your appraisal form, make sure you manually select the options and click "Navigation System" and "Autopilot". If you don't, it is $3000 less. If you have FSD, make sure you select "Autopilot Parking System" - it added about $1500 to the price, which sucks if you have FSD (assuming you paid $7,000 for it).

I see you're in GA - I'm in the Metro Atlanta area, and the "area adjustment" added $1500 to the value.

Have fun with your Y!

upload_2020-8-4_16-23-45.png

Have any of you had to cancel GAP or other add on’s for a car you traded in for the purchase of your Tesla? Just curious as I traded in a Genesis to Tesla and now in order to cancel GAP through Genesis , they want a copy of the Odometer Statement which I was never given when I traded it in for my model 3. Have any of you had this issue come up?

I had a great experience with Carvana as well

I sold my 3/2019 Sr with 10,000 miles for $36,300 this month. That was more than I paid for it and when accounting for the tax rebates (less sales tax) I actually came out a little ahead. I noticed before Tesla disconnected the app that Carvana shipped it down to Texas . I am guessing with the difficulty of ordering new in Texas that might be part of the reason for high resale value on the used market.

Anyway the plan for now is to buy another SR later this year as I think the base model SR will continue to have high resale values. Luckily my wife and I could get away with having one car and using hers during Covid....but I miss my Tesla every day.

I sold my 3/2019 Sr with 10,000 miles for $36,300 this month. That was more than I paid for it and when accounting for the tax rebates (less sales tax) I actually came out a little ahead. I noticed before Tesla disconnected the app that Carvana shipped it down to Texas . I am guessing with the difficulty of ordering new in Texas that might be part of the reason for high resale value on the used market.

Anyway the plan for now is to buy another SR later this year as I think the base model SR will continue to have high resale values. Luckily my wife and I could get away with having one car and using hers during Covid....but I miss my Tesla every day.
SR/SR+ is the greatest value for Carvana Trade-ins! Even with Carvana's offers being higher than everyone else, my LR RWD is only fetching $1-2k more than SR, if that!

That's awesome! Glad to hear everything went smoothly - I really couldn't believe it was that easy.

I honestly almost ordered another SR+ just due to cost, but the reason I sold mine to begin with was I came to the realization that I may not be happy with my SR+'s range a couple of years down the road, so I decided to move on a used LR AWD.

I recently sold my Standard range to them. They offered me 36.4k it was a 2019 with almost 17k miles on it. I made almost 8k on the sale.
The only thing is on their site yea, they over price their tesla's by like 3-7k. I see SR+ for like 43k which is crazy. So now i'm just waiting for my new LR AWD.

I asked the lady why are they paying so much for a car? they just said its their computers algorithm. Better for us as sellers. I even told them their used prices are WAY more than any car brand new. I guess their model is working out for them. Cept I don't get how they are getting people to buy used models for WAY more than it being brand new.

I recently sold my Standard range to them. They offered me 36.4k it was a 2019 with almost 17k miles on it. I made almost 8k on the sale.
The only thing is on their site yea, they over price their tesla's by like 3-7k. I see SR+ for like 43k which is crazy. So now i'm just waiting for my new LR AWD.

I asked the lady why are they paying so much for a car? they just said its their computers algorithm. Better for us as sellers. I even told them their used prices are WAY more than any car brand new. I guess their model is working out for them. Cept I don't get how they are getting people to buy used models for WAY more than it being brand new.

I'd imagine the 4-8 week wait has something to do with it. We live in a world of instant gratification.

I saw a 2018 LR on there once, called about it to find out if it had enhanced autopilot, FSD, or neither. Call center said nothing in their system would indicate that, just that it says “autopilot”. Couldn’t find a way to get them to snap a pic of the screen to check it either. Price was decent, but I passed since I couldn’t get confirmation on options.

Reactions: TimT