Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my 2013 S85 to CarMax - Price Data Point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, signature vehicles have an S in the 12th character of the VIN (last character before the serial number). Your vehicle is clearly not a Signature vechicle. Someone knowledgeable about Tesla VINs can tell that right from their page.

VIN decoding info here:
ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/MfrMail/ORG9130.pdf

They also say "Signature" on the back of the car.

True I suppose but like real estate, you need to have a buyer pool. The pool buying $50k+ used cars is low, then add EV, then a 60, and then you want someone to want 21s?

It is a rare bird. The used market favors practicality, the 60 market favors value. 21s are neither - so it would seem a rare buyer who wants that. But that car is in SoCal - probably the best market for 21s just because image is everything.

The upgraded sound is an option with limited resale value bump. It is a crazy expensive option and hard to find someone who wouldn't pick an 85 instead for just a few thousand more.

You make a valid point regarding a specific pool, especially for a 60. I do have the 19s as well and was planning on putting those back on if I do decide to sell my MS private party and sell the 21s in the classifieds or craigslist.

Everyone else, thanks for the reply as well.

They also say "Signature" on the back of the car.

They also have an engraved "Signature" on the turn signal triangles.

attachment.php?attachmentid=35151&d=1383993186.jpg

Also on the dashboard display over the speedometer and on the "About Tesla" display when you press the Tesla "T" on the main display.

Larry

Just wanted to add another data point here. I got my S85 appraised by CarMax this week. The OP got a pretty good deal I think, my car was almost identical to wazooda's with 20,000 less miles but the offer was $5,000 less only one month later:

Car Info:

S85
Tech Package
Air Suspension
Premium Sound
19" Wheels (TST Grey Turbine)
Black on Grey
Paint and Interior in excellent condition
ODO: ~9,800
Current Tires: ~9,800 miles

Tesla Offer: $61,800
CarMax (Inglewood, CA): $64,000

So I took our MS to Carmax again today and I just realized it's been 1 year since I last had our 60 appraised. Now my MS has almost 35k miles and they offered me $51k. A difference of $11k since their last offer exactly one year ago with double the miles. I was hoping to receive something in the ballpark of $54-55k but their offer was not surprising at all. The person who helped me said they just purchased a 2015 85D with 3k miles on it for $71k a week earlier, which was much lower than expected but this is without knowing any of the options this person had.

So I took our MS to Carmax again today and I just realized it's been 1 year since I last had our 60 appraised. Now my MS has almost 35k miles and they offered me $51k. A difference of $11k since their last offer exactly one year ago with double the miles.

One year later and over 15,000 additional miles - only dropping in value $11K seems really great to me. That's not even a thousand dollars a month - that's fantastic value holding for a late model luxury car accumulating miles at over 1,000 per month. I'd be really delighted if I were you.

Hey all,

I've got a P85D on order, so I decided to sell my "regular" S85.

I didn't want to sell private party for all the obvious reasons, so I got a quote from Tesla and also had a broker looking for a wholesale buyer.

On a whim, I decided to take it to my local CarMax figuring I'd get a lowball offer, but figured what the hell.

To help others gauge the value of their cars, here's what my car went for:

Car Info:

S85
Tech Package
Panoramic Roof
Premium Sound
19" Wheels
Black on Black
Paint and Interior in excellent condition
ODO: ~30,600
Current Tires: ~21,000 miles

Tesla Offer: $55,100
Best Broker Offer: $60,000
CarMax (Irvine, CA): $69,000

CarMax experience was quite painless. 30 minutes to get offer, then my wife and I came back same evening with charging cable and title. Took 30 minutes and I walked out with my check.

Hope this data point helps.
I'm very surprised! I just took mine to CarMax Monday..... Low-Balled doesn't even come close to describing it... $31,000 ......
I have:
Brand new Rims, New Tires (1,000 miles on each). Practically spotless, 3m hood protection and mirror protection, hitch, dual chargers, tint weather tech floor mats and more...... They said because of the mileage... 73k. I said what would the offer have been if it only had, say, 24k miles.... Offer went up to a whopping 35k......... Which was also Tesla's Trade in offer..... Very low ball if you ask me. KBB on my car was $55k and that didn't include all the options as they didn't have everything listed... :(

I was impressed with CarMax when I was selling off cars to get my S85D. I didn't take their offers, got $1000 more from private parties, but it was great to get the information. They offered $25,000 for a 2007 Corvette with 9,800 miles and $15,000 for a 2007 Tundra with 83,000 miles. I would recommend them for data points and expectations if nothing else. The appraisers were helpful and willing to explain just about anything I asked about.

I'm very surprised! I just took mine to CarMax Monday..... Low-Balled doesn't even come close to describing it... $31,000 ......
I have:
Brand new Rims, New Tires (1,000 miles on each). Practically spotless, 3m hood protection and mirror protection, hitch, dual chargers, tint weather tech floor mats and more...... They said because of the mileage... 73k. I said what would the offer have been if it only had, say, 24k miles.... Offer went up to a whopping 35k......... Which was also Tesla's Trade in offer..... Very low ball if you ask me. KBB on my car was $55k and that didn't include all the options as they didn't have everything listed... :(

My experience has been that optional items that I pay for (sound system, mats, hitches, etc.) have minimal impact on the resale price. With the exception of leather seats, I've never been able to get any money back on options. Used vehicle pricing is entirely (in my experience) driven by mileage, body condition and carfax report. So when I buy a new vehicle and get a bunch of optional items, I only do so for my personal pleasure. Not with an eye on recouping that cost when I sell the car.

Not sure why this is. Perhaps someone else more knowledgeable about resale prices could explain.