Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my AWD non P for a Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just sold my awd non P and bought a Performance. I originally got a $1080 inventory discount for a 300 mile P but was re-matched with another P at the last moment with 60 miles. Not sure why I was rematched but I think it was because I removed autopilot at checkout which the original one had. They honored the discount. I took delivery of the P today and it was mostly good aside from minor cosmetics. It was most likely a showroom model. The center console was smudged and slightly scratched. The rear seat bottom was unhooked on one side with the seat belt catch not feeding through correctly. My passenger was unable to buckle up earlier. I can tell they removed the seat bottom to apply product to the seat. There were three minor scratches on the front bumper that I'm sure can be buffed out. The rear lower trunk liner was deformed which I had no idea how that occurred. There was overspray on one of the door jambs. What annoyed me most, which again is minor, is they must've used a lot of detailing products in the interior as it smells overly fruity. The new car smell which I was looking forward to is masked. Also a bit surprised the Performance badge was not included as my earlier build awd had the DM badge. I took home delivery today but I'm going straight into the SC tmrw to document the issues. I'd say overall, the discount made up for the imperfections and I'm most or less satisfied.

IMG_6525.jpg IMG_6522.jpg IMG_6524.jpg IMG_6528 (1).jpg

Some things to note. The P was built in December and the fit and finish is a step above my November awd build. The doors felt noticeably heavier and didn't take as much effort to shut. The trunk also felt heavier and was easier to shut. Even the turn signal stalk felt stiffer when flipping. Interestingly enough, the ride height at least visually appears the same. I had the 20" sport wheels on my non P and the wheel gap looks identical to me. i think the 1cm "lowered suspension" might just be due to different links and the upsized wheels. Top is awd non P. Bottom is P.

IMG_6503.jpg
IMG_6529.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you sold the non-P as a “private party” transaction? Out of curiousity, prior, did you get a quote from Tesla on the trade amount for the non-P? Guessing it wasn’t that great of a number..
Yup Tesla offered me $43k and I sold it couple days later privately for $52k. Kinda crazy with 2 month old car only having 1400 miles and being in mint condition. But that was expected.

How about driving impressions? From everything known to date the Performance is mostly a software upgrade for torque and power, although the better rubber has to make a difference. We would love to hear some driving impressions.

How about driving impressions? From everything known to date the Performance is mostly a software upgrade for torque and power, although the better rubber has to make a difference. We would love to hear some driving impressions.

The P has noticeably more soundeaning as road noise isn't as pronounced as my LR AWD. Wind noise is also less noticeable. Either the Performance has better sound insulation or Tesla improved sound properties in the late December Model 3 builds. The LR AWD was really fast already but the P is on a different level. The speed difference is most notable at lower speeds. The P can induce motion sickness from a stop. At higher speeds, the P is still noticeably faster all around than the LR AWD but isn't as dramatic. In hindsight, I don't think I will ever wring the P to its potential as I'm a pretty chill driver and don't plan to track. The LR AWD would've been plenty fast for my needs. But it feels good to have all that power available at any moments notice.

I'm considering trading mine up as well but I live in a pot-hole ridden area and would really prefer to keep my 18's and also avoid the hassle and significant loss delta. I really wish I could pay for a power increase if I could.
If it's only the wheels holding you back, you can easily swap 18's or 19's in. It might be worth looking into right now with Tesla offering option discounts for the 2018 models. There is no difference with the 2019 models. You can save a few bucks.

I have a wrinkle deformed trunk liner as well (9/2018 build). Had it on my due bill but they didn't do anything about it. I am curious what others' trunk liners look like. I got the impression due to the manufacturing they are somewhat similar across the board. I had initially thought maybe water caused the issue but told it was due to the manufacturing process.

Here’s what mine looks like:

1018836F-7E52-4702-A406-26DB0366545E.jpeg 0DB92FEA-2A85-48E1-AF58-592001F72EF8.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a wrinkle deformed trunk liner as well (9/2018 build). Had it on my due bill but they didn't do anything about it. I am curious what others' trunk liners look like. I got the impression due to the manufacturing they are somewhat similar across the board. I had initially thought maybe water caused the issue but told it was due to the manufacturing process.

Here’s what mine looks like:

View attachment 380273 View attachment 380274

Same here.

• Helpful
Reactions: SMAlset
I don’t think so..
69 - 64 plus depreciation of 12 (64 - 52) plus incremental tax of 10% on 5... closer to 17.5k.
minus tax credit ;). I wouldn't have made the switch if the credit wasn't in place to help offset some of the depreciation/taxes.

this is still cheaper than if I would've ordered the P initially back in December. It would've been a $12k difference.

Last edited:
I don’t think so..
69 - 64 plus depreciation of 12 (64 - 52) plus incremental tax of 10% on 5... closer to 17.5k.
Why would there be incremental tax when they both already include tax and what about the tax credits? My one fudge is assuming the full $7500 on both when the P was purchased after the new year so it’s $13,250.

OP can simply clear this up.

Edit: and he has...

minus tax credit ;). I wouldn't have made the switch if the credit wasn't in place to help offset some of the depreciation/taxes.

this is still cheaper than if I would've ordered the P initially back in December. If I ordered the P over the LR AWD initially, it would've been about a $12k difference.

Ah yes, forgot the tax credit and missed the “otd”. So, ~$10k.