Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model 3 after 3 years. Cost of ownership.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just sold my 2018 Model LR RWD almost exactly on the 3 year anniversary date. What was my cost of ownership?

$62,488 Price out the door with features, taxes, and delivery
-$10,000 tax incentive
$52,488 net cost

Drove 39,800 miles using 10,003 kWh. Exclusively charged at home on TOU solar or free supercharging. But for calculation sake it was $0.12. I came from a 13 MPG SUV so the cost savings was huge. Would have used 3,061 gallons of gas. Assumed $4.50 per gallon cost.

$13,776 in gas cost
$1,200 in electricity cost
-$12,575 in mileage savings

Sold it for $42,000 + $12,575 = $54,575

After driving this car and enjoying it for 3 years I came out positive $2,087! This is insane. Even if you factor in the new set of tires I got after 25k miles and tint on the car I would still be slightly positive.

I traded up for a Model Y Performance and I hope to get many years of enjoyment like I did my 3.
Similar experience. Paid 52500 out the door for model 3, tax incentives -4500, only had 28000 miles on it, sold it for 45000. Easily a break even without even doing the math. Bought a new 2022 model 3 with dual motor, red, and FSD.

I just sold my 2018 Model LR RWD almost exactly on the 3 year anniversary date. What was my cost of ownership?

-$10,000 tax incentive
$52,488 net cost

Drove 39,800 miles using 10,003 kWh. Exclusively charged at home on TOU solar or free supercharging. But for calculation sake it was $0.12. I came from a 13 MPG SUV so the cost savings was huge. Would have used 3,061 gallons of gas. Assumed $4.50 per gallon cost.

$13,776 in gas cost

After driving this car and enjoying it for 3 years I came out positive $2,087! This is insane. Even if you factor in the new set of tires I got after 25k miles and tint on the car I would still be slightly positive.

I traded up for a Model Y Performance and I hope to get many years of enjoyment like I did my 3.
Cost of ownership includes insurance, repairs, maintenance, interest, taxes and fees, registration, and any other expenses along with depreciation and fuel costs. Usually broken down on a monthly basis. The information you have provided in this post is not very useful.

Cost of ownership includes insurance, repairs, maintenance, interest, taxes and fees, registration, and any other expenses along with depreciation and fuel costs. Usually broken down on a monthly basis. The information you have provided in this post is not very useful.
Ya I was going to say you have to factor in, insurance and msc costs etc. That's the whole point of total cost of ownership to compare total cost vs other vehicles. If you have solar panels at home to charge your car that isn't free electricity.

-$10,000 tax incentive
$52,488 net cost

$13,776 in gas cost

While there are couple of people here who like to nitpick on savings, i think you made out great and hopefully this is something that can be replicated for most of us. Especially those here in California, USA where premium gas is around $5 a gallon. I assume no other cost for any work from Tesla, other than replacing tires, maybe windshield wipers, filling up washer fluid? The way i see it, your TCO of ownership for 3 years is $52k for a car and $1.2k for charging your car. Very low cost to own EV for 3 years/36k miles (well yours was 30k).

The used car market is bonkers right now. The shortage of new cars has driven up prices of used cars a lot. It seems like people who need to replace an old car are willing to pay a premium to get a replacement.

Around the time I ordered my M3P last fall someone who had just taken delivery of their own reported getting an offer for more than they had just paid. They were considering selling it and putting in another order.

I've also heard a couple stories of people who bought 2021 Corvettes and then sold them back to the same dealer for a profit a year later.

I keep a spreadsheet that attempts to figure out the cost of selling my 2018 Model 3 and buying a 2022 Model Y. The bottom line is that assumptions change final conclusions by the better part of $10k.

How much was depreciation ?
What is the value of a liftgate ? or a HW3 computer ?
Do I include the costs of tinting a new car and putting in new upholstery ?

.... it goes on and on. I try to make reasonable choices but in the end there are too many subjective decisions to take the final number too seriously.

Uh, reading all of these amateur attempts to capture the entirety of the cost of ownership giving big headache; I think MIT researchers did a commendable job of demonstrating that EVEN WITHOUT INCENTIVES, Model 3 cheaper to own over (I think 5 year projection) than an Altima. If you like these cars, case closed...THEY ARE CHEAP!

Hi all, just registered and considering a model 3.
How come the warranty is not affected if you don't service regularly
What are the major repair costs to bear in mind.
What issues have owners faced with this model.