Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model 3 to save for Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like the title says. I'm Yoloing in hopes that the CT comes out soon.

Last I checked I was like number 40k in line.

Way I look at it. My car cost about 780 a month just to have.

That's a good amount of savings!!!

Down-payment should be pretty sweet. Anyone else getting CT fever?

RIP Zeus

Attachments

• 20200822_092334.jpg
    20200822_092334.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Disagree
Reactions: Kevrick and LionXng
Similarly, I traded-in my Bolt to get a Model 3 hoping that when I trade it in, it'll have more value towards a CT. Plus, I had a feeling that the Bolt would get recalled once the fires started happening, so I jumped ship before those rates plummeted.

Now, worst-case scenario in my eyes, I'll have a Model 3 and a Cybertruck in about two years once my reservation comes around. :)

I can’t wait but it’s sort of unbelievable that M3P my DD cost about the same as Tri motor Cybertruck. My plan is to sell or trade in MP3 for it. How did you check your spot in line?
Agreed, I reserved a tri-motor but am thinking that a dual-motor makes more sense. That performance is going to be insane, along with being a much better fit for my needs and a six-seater.

Unofficially, this crowd-sourced spreadsheet gives you an idea:

I can’t wait but it’s sort of unbelievable that M3P my DD cost about the same as Tri motor Cybertruck. My plan is to sell or trade in MP3 for it. How did you check your spot in line?
There is a Google spreadsheet at

You can get a trade quote from tesla on the site super easy. They were only gonna give me 35k for my 2019 dual motor that I paid 52k for. So I decided to sell it for more before I get got by tesla

I can imagine that it must be a hard decision to sell a Tesla now, in hopes to get a CT, when nobody knows when Tesla will actually make it. that’s a hard position to be in, unless you simply don‘t need your current vehicle., or have spares.

...CT comes out soon...

Tesla's timeline is likely inspirational.

In 2017, Roadster was promised for 2020 and the forum called it 2020 Roadster. At that time I had reservations about putting a year to an unbuilt Tesla due to Tesla's history of delays. Now, the forum calls it 2022 Roadster.

I am not sure about the Next-Gen Roadster but for CyberTruck, I think it's depending on at least 2 factors:

1) Austin Gigafactory is still not finished.
2) Availability of a new cell scheduled for this year called "4680".

Reactions: TessP100D
I can imagine that it must be a hard decision to sell a Tesla now, in hopes to get a CT, when nobody knows when Tesla will actually make it. that’s a hard position to be in, unless you simply don‘t need your current vehicle., or have spares.
Yea, luckily I have a couple ICE
Tesla's timeline is likely inspirational.

In 2017, Roadster was promised for 2020 and the forum called it 2020 Roadster. At that time I had reservations about putting a year to an unbuilt Tesla due to Tesla's history of delays. Now, the forum calls it 2022 Roadster.

I am not sure about the Next-Gen Roadster but for CyberTruck, I think it's depending on at least 2 factors:

1) Austin Gigafactory is still not finished.
2) Availability of a new cell scheduled for this year called "4680".
This is valid. Model Y came early though and the news about the pilot line from Tasmanian is good.

The longer it takes though. The bigger down payment I will have.

Just sucks to have to drive ICE in the meantime

Yea, luckily I have a couple ICE

This is valid. Model Y came early though and the news about the pilot line from Tasmanian is good.

The longer it takes though. The bigger down payment I will have.

Just sucks to have to drive ICE in the meantime
sold EV to save money but keep the ICE makes no sense-ICE is a rip off /there's no such thing as paid off for ICE. My 2017 Bolt has lost tons of value but the battery recall will raise it a little bit-either GM replaced the battery or I trade with EUV. I'm gonna wait for smaller version of CT.

sold EV to save money but keep the ICE makes no sense-ICE is a rip off /there's no such thing as paid off for ICE. My 2017 Bolt has lost tons of value but the battery recall will raise it a little bit-either GM replaced the battery or I trade with EUV. I'm gonna wait for smaller version of CT.
My out of pocket monthly for my model 3 was like $800.

My 04 xterra, with no loan is about $150 a month out of pocket with how little I drive. So I am saving around $650 a month.

I'm not a fan of ice. But owning a $5000 ice vehicle is cheaper than owning a $50000 EV. No question

I just made a post asking if anyone was considering doing this. I’m actually really considering doing the same thing. My difference being I don’t have another car and would probably buy something else to get me around. Not as an ideal of a scenario as you, but i would still be saving tons of money on my car payments if I opted for something else, especially used. Thats more money in my pocket for the TM 🤤

I just made a post asking if anyone was considering doing this. I’m actually really considering doing the same thing. My difference being I don’t have another car and would probably buy something else to get me around. Not as an ideal of a scenario as you, but i would still be saving tons of money on my car payments if I opted for something else, especially used. Thats more money in my pocket for the TM 🤤
Exactly! lol if you could grab something cheap and reliable you would be set. its is WAY harder then i thought though to not have autopilot.. ugh i have to drive myself now lol

The speculation on the cyber truck timeline has me kind of reluctant too. What if you have to wait till 2023, would you have regretted your decision?
I would for sure be sad if i have to wait that long but i think next year at the latest. The way i look at it is, the longer it takes, the more i can save towards it.

If i had to wait till 2023 i could probably buy it cash.

Reactions: dreamgt