Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model S after 5.5 years...moving on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s the harsh reality...most teslas currently on the road will likely have their supercharging speed capped at some point during what otherwise would be the normal lifespan of the battery. Tesla is promoting super fast charge rates when they know that their current fleet isn’t capable of even sustaining their current charge rates long term.

If tesla has simply owned up to the issue I would be ok with it as an early adaptor. Instead they are fighting any admission of it in a class action suit.

Reduced battery capacity over the years is normal and maybe even slower charging.
But what Tesla did is too much to accept it without compensation (and without announcement),
whether they had a good reason or not.
I think this is a cut of functionality (distance+charging time) - what people have paid for.

Tesla could instead offer an upgrade to a higer capacity battery pack for a reasonable price.
- You can buy used 5 kWh packs on ebay for about $1k, I guess Tesla is paying less.
So why doesn't Tesla offer refurbished 90/100kWh packs to the affected S60/70/85 owners?
I think this could be done for prices between $3k - $5k (10-15 kWh) per car and should be a
benefit for owners, including a (small) profit for Tesla.

Reactions: avesraggiana
If we want to be picky, Tesla also reduced colder battery regen - gradually over the years. Not as big of a hit of course, but a move meant to protect the battery.

I have no problems with changes made to protect batteries. Sure- it helps with warranty claims but it also helps owners generally and for resale. We were all early adopters and should have gone in wide open.

I have a 2015. By the trajectory that I am on, I will not trigger any battery warranty - even with original charging speeds and software. But I suffer some degradation and I would like to minimize that.

Tesla (and Musk) have always been a bit aspirational. Heat hurts batteries. Physics doesn't miraculously go away with tech. Tesla pushed things to the limit and 5 years later (or maybe 6/7), they realized it. They are doing what they can to mitigate it.

Hadn't heard about the class action. I suppose the absolute best result is a reduced cost refurb battery. I mean I will take a small dollar amount but I suspect it will be $500. The courts will hear that 7% of miles (or whatever number) are supercharged miles. They will hear a battery can be $10k. They will hear that 2 hours is the average extra time per year per owner. And then the lawyers need something. I would be shocked to see a number greater than $2k. Someone suggested 5 figures!?! I suggest you sell your car now. Like Eye mentioned - since this isn't widely known, resale may still be ok. After the settlement, it will be widely known. The value of the car will take a bigger hit than the settlement.

Have over 300k miles of mostly supercharged trips and the upshot of Chargergate is that my supercharging was slowed by 17 kW. Just did a 12,500+ mile trip over 18 days including the Trans Canada Highway as Covid-19 bore down and threatened to make it logistically complicated. I no longer average 1000 miles a day, but 800 is more than enough for most, I imagine. I could have taken my 3 which charges much faster and can handle 1200 miles/day, but then Macy wouldn’t have gotten to ride shotgun. Truly a shame when people throw out the baby with the bath water, but not all are resilient in the face of change. Pretty inconsequential considering the hallmark life changes ongoing with this pandemic. Looking forward to battery day to help decide about updating the S. Even without a big reveal, the advances in battery range since my 2013 is truly remarkable.

Sorry to see you go Eye! I guess by trading in my p85d 4 months ago I am no longer part of a class action! Well no matter, I had 5 years of wonderful driving. And I’m sure if kept the car another year to cash in on this whatever I got would be swamped out by the depreciation in that year. So I went a different direction than you and jumped on a Raven performance fleet vehicle. It has 100 miles more range, faster charging, adaptable suspension,and is both quicker and quieter. Also 30k cheaper in initial price. The range was always the biggest concern with the old car and with almost no superchargers around me 5 years ago it was a challenge. That’s just not the case anymore. I have noticed however that my supercharging speed has dropped a bit on the new car. I regularly take advantage of the free supercharging as there is one in the parking lot of my gym, so I work out an hour and 10 min and regularly charge from an average of 15-25% to 85-95%. I have wondered if there is an algorithm that sees this and starts to limit my charging speed. I haven’t put actual numbers to that yet since I don’t go to the gym anymore due to the corona pandemic. It would be interesting to see if they are doing this to the Ravens

Mod's removed first posting due to too much truth (what they call "snippiness"), so I've removed some material for their gentle eyes.

Yes, older cars don't perform like new cars, and I'm sorry that Tesla felt it had to cap SC speeds to keep batteries from "lighting up" as we've seen in some videos.

But to replace an EV with a non-EV is unconscionable and either massively ignorant, or just plain evil, in light of the facts. Shocking that an early adopter would be so unknowing--he should have just purchased a new MS; we're on our eighth, doing our part to populate the planet with Teslas.

Assuming the OP has children, it's going to be a real event when the planetary-scale problem they face, that will make COVID-19 look like a friggin' picnic, has them ask, "Why didn't you do something when you knew what a century+ of dumping GHG's had done to our planet?!?" The answer, "Well, I did for a few years, but then Tesla slowed down my Supercharger speed a bit in 2019 really pissed me off . . . " is going to sound pretty sadly pathetic, no?

NASA: Climate Change and Global Warming

As a species, we're in even deeper trouble than we know if there are too many out there like the OP.

This isn't a car, it's a friggin' mission.

Get with the program, please.

"You're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem."
--Eldridge Cleaver

So they are either dodging warranty claims or there is a very real safety issue they are covering up via software.

Which is it?
And either way Tesla is trying to force THEIR costs onto the car’s owner!

Isn’t that part of Elon’s (and other’s) argument against ICE cars, coal-fired power plants, etc.?? Allowing a few to push their costs onto everyone else??

Tesla should own up to either (or both) a longevity or a safety problem with the cars it sold and fix them or, if not economically feasible (a la VW), buy them back.

Heck, as it is right now, with this “update” and similar “update” removing all DC charging from prior salvage-titled cars, Tesla is already acting like it still owns the cars and can act with impunity. Otherwise they’d have to recognize that they accessed someone else’s computer system without permission and altered or removed an essential function: the very definition of felony computer hacking (18 U.S.C. 1030). Not only is this a federal crime of unabashed arrogance, for a publicly-traded company it is colossally stupid for its officers, directors and shareholders.

And, as so many others, including OP, have pointed out, from a long-term business perspective of maintaining loyal customers, it will cost them untold repeat business. Pretty important for a company which doesn’t advertise. Just dumb all the way around around.

And before anyone tries to blame “the lawyers” for Tesla’s criminal conduct, know that Tesla’s lawyers should have read ABA Model Rule 1.16(a)(1), California Rule 3-700(B) and Comments [9] and [10] to ABA Model Rule 1.2 (among other ethical guidance) regarding their ethical obligations. By their failure to, at the very least, resign from representing Tesla, I fear they have not correctly analyzed the ethical jeopardy in which they may find themselves.

Crazy nutjobs such as you do more harm for the cause they rant about than good.

You’re like that crazy methhead on the freeway off ramp yelling about Jesus and how he stole your clothes and your 401k

Sorry, I live in the world of facts, not make believe.

Until you can post sciential links advising that, "YES, we CAN dump unlimited amounts of GHG's into the atmosphere and oceans!" then I'd encourage you to take your absurd statements to some other thread.

Thank you.

Perhaps. You nor I know for sure. Many changes have been made over the years. It is a gamble. If one wants absolute certainty (or at least fewer unknowns), stick to something that has been around for over a century. Gas cars.

Yep, those are a sure thing all right--a sure way to make our one planet barely habitable.

Why do these people, that know so very little, continue to post here?

See: climate.nasa.gov

Reactions: SmartElectric
Here’s the harsh reality...most teslas currently on the road will likely have their supercharging speed capped at some point during what otherwise would be the normal lifespan of the battery. Tesla is promoting super fast charge rates when they know that their current fleet isn’t capable of even sustaining their current charge rates long term.

If tesla has simply owned up to the issue I would be ok with it as an early adaptor. Instead they are fighting any admission of it in a class action suit.

Yes, and this is the best reason to destroy the planet--Tesla treated you poorly, so it's back to ICE for you.

Got it.

Wow, just wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.