Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model S after 5.5 years...moving on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Doc. I used to work for J&J (Mentor/Ethicon) and Alcon. Got to meet lots of Eye Surgeons. Some of the best people on earth. Thank you for doing what Ophthalomologists do best. Helping people see more clearly.

One of my pet projects was to swing by the reserved Physicians parking lot that most hospitals had. Could always tell it apart from the general parking areas by the quality of the cars parked there. Sometimes it was kind of a car show. Some exotics, but many more were German premium brands. Physicians seemed to be drawn by the quality, precision and advanced engineering in those brands.

Lately, Tesla has indeed entered into those lots in greater numbers. Physicians embraced the prestige, advanced engineering, performance, styling and eco values they represented.

You gave Tesla a chance and they let you down. You got to experience the good and bad that comes with their products. Fair enough that you made your next decision to buy a Mercedes.

Interesting enough, is that in my case it went the opposite way. My last Mercedes started out as an aspirational purchase. Loved the way the car made me feel when driving. Understood that I paid a premium for these feelings, but felt it was money well spent. Then I go to experience the way Mercedes makes a ton of money in the service department. They way overcharge for "Service A...Service B etc." No transparency as to what your got for your money. They would not explain what you were in for during scheduled services. Just took the car into their service bays and did what they wanted. You got a bill when picking up the car, but rarely what you expected. The refused to allow their customers to go outside Mercedes to shop prices. Refused to turn off the service lights if you had something done by your friendly neighborhood mechanic. Like you, I focused pretty much exclusively on this personal slight, and swore I would never give another $ to Mercedes again. Sold the car at a huge loss and bought a Tesla.

With what you went through it only makes sense to be open to other cars.

Dick Kratz once told me that "better is the enemy of good", so perhaps someday you might be back in the Tesla family.

Stay healthy...and wash your hands.

Paul

You gave Tesla a chance and they let you down. You got to experience the good and bad that comes with their products. Fair enough that you made your next decision to buy a Mercedes.

Paul

Actually I didn't replace my Tesla with a Mercedes, that was posted above by someone above who was stereotyping me perhaps because of my username. I don't really want to discuss what I bought because I don't want to further trigger the sensitive ones here.

Anyways I think this thread has run it's course. Good luck all of you with your Teslas, even you TSLA Pilot, and I will likely be back in the future.

Last edited:
Good job eye, the best thing you can do is not reward the company with more money when they've treated you like that. These fan boys might "get it" in a few years when they are also cheated. Otherwise this thread has gone how I expected, since I recently sold my 5 year old Model S for similar reasons, and bought a gas luxury car.

Yep, you go get 'em too!

That's the smart move given the facts[sc]:

climate.nasa.gov

Anyone else suspect these guys are pure trolls? If they were really informed, smart, early-adopter-Tesla buyers, but felt that they'd been shafted by "Evil Tesla," they'd have just purchased any of the "Tesla-killers" from Jaguar, MBZ, or BMW . . . but instead they're just here to stir the pot it seems.

Very odd.

What I’m surprised about is that people who had early versions of the car, are surprised that there are potential future unknowns.

There’s a reason why you were considered an “early adopter”. There are going to be unknowns over time. I have a 2017 S90D and so far so good. I have 45k miles on it in 3 years and that’s with it being stored for several months of the year in the winter. So I wonder how much time you really did spend at superchargers.
This has nothing—NOTHING—to do with being an early adopter. It has everything—EVERYTHING—to do with Tesla not honoring its warranty language. The batteries are defective and Tesla refuses to replace them under the 8-year, unlimited mile battery warranty. THAT is the issue and why I will never—NEVER—reward this crapsack of a company with another dime of my money.

0e61af57bb25441f3429312b9571b098.jpg

Why is everyone assuming that the OP got a big gas guzzler V8 ICE car, and a few blaming him for destroying the planet?
May be he got a nice 100% renewable hydrogen powered car like this? ;)
Or an efficient hybrid like the 52 mpg Toyota Camry that has almost same environmental foot print cradle-to-grave?
A PHEV can also be superior for the planet if most of the commute is local. On few long trips, just use the gas with no wait and fill up anywhere.
Clarity.JPG

For the ones crying about environment,
- Have you downsized your home to save on heating and cooling? That's a huge part of global warming.
- Have you considered lowering the temp during winter to burn less natural gas?

There are many ways to reduce GHG emissions. Driving a pure EV is just one of many ways to save the planet.
In fact, the best silver lining of the COVID-19 is its positive impact to the environment. A few more months of lock down and we will be worrying about global cooling.:)
GHG_transportation.JPG

Last edited:
This has nothing—NOTHING—to do with being an early adopter. It has everything—EVERYTHING—to do with Tesla not honoring its warranty language. The batteries are defective and Tesla refuses to replace them under the 8-year, unlimited mile battery warranty. THAT is the issue and why I will never—NEVER—reward this crapsack of a company with another dime of my money.

ok bye

eye.doctor got a very reasonable replacement car. Few would find his choice objectionable. Not a big Mercedes etc.

Gotta calm down here. Everything is OK.

Everybody has the right to make their own choices, based on their individual experiences.

People need to stop being so judgemental.

Hopefully when the World gets back to normalcy we can get back to enjoying our fantastic Teslas.

Dad told me that when ever someone says it is not the money, but the principal, it is always the money.
Your dad was a smart man... who said dumb ****

there are numerous businesses I no longer visit due to principal.
In fact before I got a Costco membership I fueled at a more expensive chain gas station over a cheaper mom and pop place simply because the mom and pop place was always rude to me.

Of what warranty language do you speak?

Last time I checked, the warranty was INCREASED from when you purchased your car, to also include the motor/drive train AND the battery, for a full eight years and unlimited mileage.

Battery degradation was specifically excluded.

Yet you still have a car with range up there with the "best" of the "Tesla Killers" that just came out within the past year.

Time for a "big picture update" and also time to get that chip off your shoulder.

If you've been so terribly abused, then buy some other (and quite inferior) EV. Otherwise, suck it up and buy a far more capable Tesla, for LESS MONEY THAN YOUR TESLA COST five years ago.

Geesh, what a bunch of cry babies. Elon is trying to save our only planet, risked his entire fortune (many times the size of yours, btw), pushed the battery performance envelope just a hair too far (with the original batteries), and you just can't cut him any slack?!? Get a grip!

Better yet: just buy a new Tesla and marvel at how much better they keep getting . . . while costing even less.

I'm not sure if people are looking at this right. I'm trying to find an ICE equivalent to this scenario. But last time I checked, there were no ICE vehicles that came with free gas?

Here's another perspective. I live in Europe. Over a 3 year lease period, a BMW X3 M40i would cost me around $30,000 (CAD) more than Model S Performance (both fully specced). That's factoring in 0% ethanol gas, maintenance and around the same leasing/down payment rate. I'm not crazy. I'll pick the former, which also happens to be (IMO) the nicest looking car in the world. The amount that I save doubles when I get into E63/X5/750i territory.

And there are absolutely no EV alternatives. None. Porsche Taycan? Let's look at cold, hard numbers.

Taycan Turbo S
- 750hp
- 0-100: 2.8s
- range: 380km
- trunk (front and rear): 442L
- starting price: CAD $213,900

Model S Performance
- 825hp
- 0-100: 2.6s
- range: 560km
- trunk (front and rear): 804L
- starting price: CAD $135,090

That's without getting into the looks, comfort, rear seats, quality, experience with EVs... I could go on.

Why is everyone assuming that the OP got a big gas guzzler V8 ICE car, and a few blaming him for destroying the planet?
May be he got a nice 100% renewable hydrogen powered car like this? ;)
Or an efficient hybrid like the 52 mpg Toyota Camry that has almost same environmental foot print cradle-to-grave?
A PHEV can also be superior for the planet if most of the commute is local. On few long trips, just use the gas with no wait and fill up anywhere.
View attachment 529553

For the ones crying about environment,
- Have you downsized your home to save on heating and cooling? That's a huge part of global warming.
- Have you considered lowering the temp during winter to burn less natural gas?

There are many ways to reduce GHG emissions. Driving a pure EV is just one of many ways to save the planet.
In fact, the best silver lining of the COVID-19 is its positive impact to the environment. A few more months of lock down and we will be worrying about global cooling.:)
View attachment 529562

Let's stay on topic, please. Otherwise, you're post is a common tactic which takes us into logical fallacies; we just do NOT need any more of that:

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

If he's legit, the OP made a morally unsupportable choice, and then came here to attempt to justify it.

He can't, nor can anyone else.

And now he's run away. To be expected.

Perhaps over time, in hours, days or months, the OP will realize his folly and rash choice; let us hope so. Now more than ever we need early adopters to step up and act, and that means buying EV's, preferably Teslas. (See their mission statements, Part 1 and Deux.)

We have but one planet; what is coming up next will make C-19 look life a friggin' picnic. If it get's to be too far gone to fix (see "climate change feedback loops") there will be Hell to pay . . . best we not go there, eh?

Last time I checked, the warranty was INCREASED from when you purchased your car, to also include the motor/drive train AND the battery, for a full eight years and unlimited mileage.

Yet you still have a car with range up there with the "best" of the "Tesla Killers" that just came out within the past year.

Time for a "big picture update" and also time to get that chip off your shoulder.

If you've been so terribly abused, then buy some other (and quite inferior) EV. Otherwise, suck it up and buy a far more capable Tesla, for LESS MONEY THAN YOUR TESLA COST five years ago.

Geesh, what a bunch of cry babies. Elon is trying to save our only planet, risked his entire fortune (many times the size of yours, btw), pushed the battery performance envelope just a hair too far (with the original batteries), and you just can't cut him any slack?!? Get a grip!

Better yet: just buy a new Tesla and marvel at how much better they keep getting . . . while costing even less.

The Model S battery and drivetrain warranty is now 8 years, 150k miles. Still pretty good. But some people are just plain disgruntled and unlikely to change their mind. Not worth the effort.

• Disagree
Reactions: First EV
Most of these complainers would have been very satisfied if Tesla had offered to replace their old batteries with a new one. Even better upgrading their problematic 85s with latest generation 100s. That is mostly where the complaints stand.

Logical that Tesla would not be eager to do this, as they were battery constrained and were trying to optimize battery utilization to get more cars out the door and keep the investors happy.

Tough balancing act for any company.

AmpedRealtor's 2013 P85, a 7-year-old EV, has 426km of range. A Porsche Taycan Turbo S that costs well over $200,000 CAD has 380. A Jaguar I-Pace has 392km of range (don't get me wrong, that thing has good value for money). A new MSLR+ has 630km of range, and a new MSP has 560-600km of range, depending on the region. So if range is the biggest issue, the Model S is the best EV in the world, period. I agree with you on everything you said about the car.

I doubt that the Model S and X will get any cheaper because they're already appropriately priced. Maybe they announce lower performance motors that cost less but have similar range, in which case they can more directly compete with ICE competitors in North America. As it relates to the planet, that's tricky. EVs will not single-handedly stop climate change, but I think that we should all start living more sustainable lifestyles and driving an EV is a good start.

Most of these complainers would have been very satisfied if Tesla had offered to replace their old batteries with a new one. Even better upgrading their problematic 85s with latest generation 100s. That is mostly where the complaints stand.

Logical that Tesla would not be eager to do this, as they were battery constrained and were trying to optimize battery utilization to get more cars out the door and keep the investors happy.

Tough balancing act for any company.

Why would any car manufacturer replace a battery/engine for a more expensive one? If you paid for an 85, you get an 85. They cost less than the 100. That's like me going to an ICE dealership with my $50,000 car and saying that the new $50,000 car has more horsepower and more torque, so if they don't replace my faulty engine with less horsepower with a new engine that has more horsepower, they are cheating me out of something and it is terrible customer service. Geez, these people should think about how the world is in lockdown and damn look forward to driving their beautiful Teslas somewhere nice when this virus is beaten.

• Disagree
Reactions: mthoring
Status
Not open for further replies.