Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model S after 5.5 years...moving on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is not just random "ICE driver." He is a FORMER TESLA OWNER who made the stunningly stupid choice to replace his Tesla with an ICE vehicle. This is shameful and beyond ignorant; he needs to be called out for this terrible choice.
I traded my 5 year old Tesla S for a gas Lexus and it's a really amazing car, no regrets. However, I still have another S. When a reliable well built PHEV comes along (cough cough Rav4 Prime or Lexus? hmm) that S may also get traded off. You are nuts, to put it nicely. Stop bagging on the OP. Congrats to the OP on making the right choice (for him). Shame on you, you need to be called out for your terrible choice (posting garbage in this thread).

I traded my 5 year old Tesla S for a gas Lexus and it's a really amazing car, no regrets. However, I still have another S. When a reliable well built PHEV comes along (cough cough Rav4 Prime or Lexus? hmm) that S may also get traded off. You are nuts, to put it nicely. Stop bagging on the OP. Congrats to the OP on making the right choice (for him). Shame on you, you need to be called out for your terrible choice (posting garbage in this thread).

Ah, that explains it: you TOO are one of the few that made a remarkably short-sighted, "screw everyone else," choice.

I guess my posts hit a little too close to home, and/or are you too choose to ignore all those pesky sciential, factual links that I've posted about how EVERY SINGLE TIME you buy gas, you are THE PROBLEM . . . .

“Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”

― Anna Lappe

And:

Big Oil is using the coronavirus pandemic to push through the Keystone XL pipeline | Bill McKibben

Face it--you are the problem, especially so since you too are a former Tesla/EV owner.

Sad that you (and a few others) can so easily rationalize it though, but telling of the lengths people go to to justify terrible choices. Thanks for sharing the truth about your history--that's something.

There is no more neutrality in the world. You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem.
--Eldridge Cleaver

I've loved my S85, but when Tesla with no explanation or notice capped my supercharging speed to less than half the former speed with a software update almost a year ago as has been done to most if not all older cars. that was it for me. My car is now a city car. Long trips are not practical when it takes 90+ minutes to supercharge. My car only had 40k miles on it when this was done.

You can peruse the chargegate threads, all 500+ pages of them, for the reason why Tesla is doing this but the bottom line is that it's to avoid battery failures during the warranty period. The equivalent would be for GM to disable 4 cylinders in your Corvette via an unannounced software update to reduce engine failures under warranty.

I've loved my Tesla and hope to be back someday when Tesla can guarantee reasonable charge rates for the life of the battery pack. Car is sold and new car is in the garage. Not going to get into what I got because I don't want to turn this thread into a Tesla superfan hatefest but it's not an EV.

giphy.gif

Oh well, get a new Tesla. They are better anyway. There's no reason to downgrade to a gas car simply because your charge rate was limited. That is so random

Edit: You did buy a gas car. Lol wow

Last edited:
Mr X,

You know how bad you'd feel downgrading to an ICE car after owning a Tesla? Every Tesla owner feels the same way. Now, since you know that imagine how bad you would have to be treated by Tesla to change your mind and make you willingly go back to ICE even though you loathe it. That's how bad Tesla's downgrades are, and how poorly they treat us. When they do come for your battery, we won't berate you or treat you the way you treat other tesla owners. We understand what you don't understand yet, but you will and you'll be treated like the victim you are, not mocked. I hope you never have to experience what drive people away from Tesla, but if you do at least you'll learn empathy.

Mr X,

You know how bad you'd feel downgrading to an ICE car after owning a Tesla? Every Tesla owner feels the same way. Now, since you know that imagine how bad you would have to be treated by Tesla to change your mind and make you willingly go back to ICE even though you loathe it. That's how bad Tesla's downgrades are, and how poorly they treat us. When they do come for your battery, we won't berate you or treat you the way you treat other tesla owners. We understand what you don't understand yet, but you will and you'll be treated like the victim you are, not mocked. I hope you never have to experience what drive people away from Tesla, but if you do at least you'll learn empathy.

Ah, yes, Tesla has become the Evil Empire now. That's the thread's theme.

Still no excuse to not buy one of the many "Tesla Killers" out there then, from those "mature" brands that supposedly won't screw you, like Audi, MBZ, BMW, Porsche, etc.

It's still an inexcusable choice to replace an EV with an ICE given the documented risks of unchecked GHG dumping over a century; to ignore this threat is grossly immoral or indicates profound ignorance.

• Disagree
Reactions: First EV
Actually, no. (Why are so many ill-informed people posting here?)

Climate change is why Tesla exists.
About Tesla | Tesla
And:
Master Plan, Part Deux

@TSLA Pilot , You are aware that Tesla CEO frequently shuttles in a private jet between Los Angeles and San Jose, that burns a lot of gasoline? He is also promoting individual space flights. How much gasoline do you think is burnt to take a person to space just for a joyride?

Are you really a pilot? How do you feel flying planes that burn a lot of gasoline? I am very curious reading your posts of extreme view on climate change and gasoline.

What is your opinion on fewer people (population control, one child policy, etc.) as a way to reduce future CO2 emissions? In few decades, there will be half the number cars, houses, offices. Earth will he happier.

Or using the public transport or riding a bike to work instead of driving personal cars?

Man some (one) of you guys are flippin out in here.

I have a 2013 pre AP Tesla. I've owned it for a very long time. I've put 150k miles on it, and have had to service it many times on my own, as well as MACHINE MY OWN PART to correct a production camber issue. My car is near worthless now, combination of mileage and age I might be able to give it away at some point. For now I'll continue to drive it until it totally dies or a repair becomes so costly I'll need to donate it.

I definitely wouldn't buy another if it came time.

Tesla has F'd me too many times to place my investment, savings, or trust in them. Unlike some lucky folks here who can go through "8 teslas, with a 9th on the way" (which seems incredibly wasteful by the way?), try owning one long enough for it to start to fail on you or be in a significant enough incident to have to have it repaired, then see how Tesla treats you.

Spoiler: its "pay us tons of money to completely replace parts that won't be in stock for months, and if you don't like that answer, just buy a new one! Duh!"

Unfortunately, as much as I loved my Tesla then, it is nothing but a major liability now. Sure most older cars are like that, but there is little to no support and parts, which changes the severity of the liability. That's my personal opinion after living with this car and being on these forums for awhile.

Man some (one) of you guys are flippin out in here.

I have a 2013 pre AP Tesla. I've owned it for a very long time. I've put 150k miles on it, and have had to service it many times on my own, as well as MACHINE MY OWN PART to correct a production camber issue. My car is near worthless now, combination of mileage and age I might be able to give it away at some point. For now I'll continue to drive it until it totally dies or a repair becomes so costly I'll need to donate it.

I definitely wouldn't buy another if it came time.

Tesla has F'd me too many times to place my investment, savings, or trust in them. Unlike some lucky folks here who can go through "8 teslas, with a 9th on the way" (which seems incredibly wasteful by the way?), try owning one long enough for it to start to fail on you or be in a significant enough incident to have to have it repaired, then see how Tesla treats you.

Spoiler: its "pay us tons of money to completely replace parts that won't be in stock for months, and if you don't like that answer, just buy a new one! Duh!"

Unfortunately, as much as I loved my Tesla then, it is nothing but a major liability now. Sure most older cars are like that, but there is little to no support and parts, which changes the severity of the liability. That's my personal opinion after living with this car and being on these forums for awhile.
Oh you done messed up now! The guy that buys a new car every year to save the environment is really gonna show you the error of your ways!

Arguably buying a new Tesla every year is supporting the company and giving a lot of other people discounts on Teslas.

It is still fundamentally different than supporting an ICE company. And it isn't that wasteful environmentally when the used cars are displacing ICE cars.

How is that I am own a 2015 Tesla with 83k miles, I have a strong personal history of banishing companies that have wronged me, and yet I would buy a Tesla again?

I won't buy a Honda over the HCH battery disaster or a Nissan over the Leaf battery disaster (my last 2 cars before Tesla). The Tesla issues aren't ideal but, by comparison, they are better.

I certainly couldn't buy a Toyota over their hydrogen farce. VW - the company that has been responsible for more premature deaths than any other company in history?
BMW - the car before the HCH was a 545 - and I said never again. The service visits for problems and routine maintenance in 30k have tripled what the Tesla has been in 83k.

So I could buy american - ha. With all the SUV promoting that has been a travesty on the world. Literally, the easiest way to destroy your carbon footprint is to get a ICE SUV - and for what? so you can be slow, brake poorly, handle poorly and roll over easily?

I think that leaves MB. I will stick with Tesla thank you very much.

TSLA pilot - you can afford 8 Teslas and you have a natural gas hot water heater? Everytime you turn on the hot water faucet, you are supporting the destruction of the earth brought on by fracking. And you know what those methane leaks are going to do. If you really believe we are less than 50 years away from Armageddon, then methane is way worse than CO2.

If you are going to be so harsh to other people, you might look in the mirror a bit. I can talk because of our 2 tesla family and full heat pump house powered by solar. But you know what, I do eat meat (not a lot and almost never beef) and I do fly sometimes. You should probably admit 2 things. Buying solar is one of the easiest things to do and often has a financial benefit and driving a Tesla is another no compromise thing to do. They are literally the 2 easiest things to do for your part of the environment (well except not buying an SUV). And those 2 things alone will not prevent catastrophic AGW. You need to pledge to never fly and never eat beef and have no children. The tough stuff.

Not quite.

He is not just random "ICE driver."

He is a FORMER TESLA OWNER who made the stunningly stupid choice to replace his Tesla with an ICE vehicle.

This is shameful and beyond ignorant; he needs to be called out for this terrible choice.

Period.

If you can't see that, then you too are obviously grossly uninformed.

So let's try again:

News | Huge Cavity in Antarctic Glacier Signals Rapid Decay

"About the size of Florida, Thwaites Glacier is currently responsible for approximately 4 percent of global sea level rise. It holds enough ice to raise the world ocean a little over 2 feet (65 centimeters) and backstops neighboring glaciers that would raise sea levels an additional 8 feet (2.4 meters) if all the ice were lost."

(Tip: If comprehension is hard for you, try reading more SLOWLY.)

And:

climate.nasa.gov

Bonus: These are the nice folks (sarcasm) that the OP helps fund so they can continue to destroy the entire friggin' planet, EVERY SINGLE TIME HE BUYS GAS:

Big Oil is using the coronavirus pandemic to push through the Keystone XL pipeline | Bill McKibben

Okay. And please tell me how you're doing your part in cutting CO2 emissions? By buying nine vehicles in nine years? Is that really better than driving one or two ICE cars during that same period of time? You'd have a much better argument if you had driven one or two Teslas in nine years. The production of the car emits CO2. Y'know, it's not magically put together.

Okay. And please tell me how you're doing your part in cutting CO2 emissions? By buying nine vehicles in nine years? Is that really better than driving one or two ICE cars during that same period of time? You'd have a much better argument if you had driven one or two Teslas in nine years. The production of the car emits CO2. Y'know, it's not magically put together.

It isn't like the cars he no longer has are destroyed when he is done with them, they go to someone else at a lower price point likely offsetting another ICE vehicle.

• Love
Reactions: SO16
Not relevant to the OP's post, and the reason this thread exists.

At all.

But I'll humor you:

Eight MS's so far, ninth on the way in a few weeks.

SolarCity/Tesla Energy PV array since 2013.

Swapping "natural gas" water heaters for non-fossil fuel water heaters soon.

Now let's get back on topic: Shaming the OP until he stops his poor choices. He screwed up. Period. And he needs to be back in the EV world, and converting others to do the same.

We don't have the time to be jerking around like idiots. The global market for cars, trucks, etc. is somewhere between 80m and 95m units a year.

~2% (or less) of that is EV's.

Even if that was at 100% EV's tomorrow morning, it would still take nearly two decades to replace the existing fleet.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND JUST HOW FAR BEHIND WE ARE?

(Where is Darwin when we need him?)

Darwin is dead.

These are all very nice things that I'm sure makes you feel better and smarter than everyone else, but the fact remains that without China, India and the entire rest of the industrial world on board, as well as EVERYONE (INCLUDING YOU) giving up their phones, computer, air conditioning/heat, and every consumable good and source of energy, you will remain very smart and self-satisfied while we strive to devolve back to the Dark Ages.

Shaming the OP for giving up his car because the company that makes them sucks? Really. What a self-righteous (radio edit). You know, that battery (sorry, 9th) you ride around on...well, I guess you never considered the toxic waste byproducts of their manufacture. But hey, you keep telling yourself that you are saving your own little world because your electric meter spins backwards.

"Don't have time to jerk around." Why going somewhere, or do you really believe hystrionic bartenders who say it's all over in 9 years?

Consider this: Obama, you know, that global warming guy, just bought a $15 million house....on the ocean. On the ocean. (say it again). Think about that for a millisecond.

BTW, I'd love to know the math behind your solar power, because here in Florida, it makes absolutely no financial sense.

Face it--you are the problem, especially so since you too are a former Tesla/EV owner.

Sad that you (and a few others) can so easily rationalize it though, but telling of the lengths people go to to justify terrible choices. Thanks for sharing the truth about your history--that's something.

There is no more neutrality in the world. You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem.
--Eldridge Cleaver

Like the OP and others on this thread, I made the switch on my daily driver, going from a Tesla to an ICE. The decision was made based NOT on the chargegate/throttlegate/fit/finish BUT on household cashflow and our acceptance of risk on Tesla remaining a viable company going forward.

Given your prior quote of "...to replace an EV with a non-EV is unconscionable and either massively ignorant, or just plain evil, in light of the facts," where do I fall on your purity/ignorance/evil scale?

Now add in the information that we were going from two Teslas to one Tesla (instead of one to zero) and we are on a 100% renewable source electric plan.

Does that change my positioning on the scale? Would the presence (or willful absence) of solar panels on the household further change things?

That is really true - I have seen all sorts of zealots on blogs/forums, but have to say that this example is extreme. It's none of anyone's business what car you (or OP) drive. Would I have made the same choice as you (trading in a Model S for an ICE)? Probably not. I am in love with the MS. Am I even thinking about blaming you for global warming and the rest? Not at all.

I saw your video on your new car. Even though the Model S better fits my lifestyle than the LS, you seem to love the Lexus. Enjoy!

• Love
Reactions: InternetDude
I support the OP. I live in the mountains and own an M3 and an S, an ORV and a Jeep. When the roads don't get plowed in the winter the Jeep is necessary and the ORV is fun in the summer. Everyone has different needs and situations and the OP, being a Doc living in a city, has needs that are different than mine. If I had room in the garage a C8 vette would be next.

The decision was made based NOT on the chargegate/throttlegate/fit/finish BUT on household cashflow and our acceptance of risk on Tesla remaining a viable company going forward.

The only threats to Tesla as a viable company going forward are corona never ending (a threat to all companies) and batterygate (warranty and safety verdicts of guilty could have massive impacts on the company's future). Everything else is minor enough to the company that they don't bother addressing them - bad service, poor quality assembly, hostile business practices... these things will cost sales, but Tesla has enough repeat buyers willing to get another one every few months that it won't matter, and new owners are still coming in. Even anti-environment practices like their disposable car "unsupported" no-repair rules aren't driving away environmentalists in droves and that is the most environmentally damaging policy Tesla could have. Tesla may earn a reputation like Yugo's for all of these problems, but batterygate is really the only thing that should make you worry about its viability.

Reactions: InternetDude
I support the OP. I live in the mountains and own an M3 and an S, an ORV and a Jeep. When the roads don't get plowed in the winter the Jeep is necessary and the ORV is fun in the summer. Everyone has different needs and situations and the OP, being a Doc living in a city, has needs that are different than mine. If I had room in the garage a C8 vette would be next.
Talking about C8, I can hardly wait for mine.

Reactions: MXLRplus
The only threats to Tesla as a viable company going forward are corona never ending (a threat to all companies) and batterygate (warranty and safety verdicts of guilty could have massive impacts on the company's future).
but batterygate is really the only thing that should make you worry about its viability.

To be clear, this change was made more than a year ago (pre-COVID-19, pre-CT reveal, pre-China Gigafactory, etc.), where the concern was based on stock volatility (thanks to the FUD community).

As far as batterygate, I cannot fathom a ruling coming out that would financially sink the company, but I've been surprised before.

Status
Not open for further replies.